Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i can get a pretty good deal on a rear derauiller but its a long cage, will i be dropping chains all over the place? right now its set up as a single speed with bmx 3 piece cranks, i will be adding a bash and the jump stop because i am too poor right now for a guide...

is it worth spending more and getting a medium cage? the derauiller is a sram x7 btw

anyway any advice would be great

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
rear derailer doesn't cause chain to drop.....u need a chainguide up front to protect against that........but a long cage you are asking for trouble......just a bigger target for a rock or bolder to hit....spend the extra cash or check ebay

·
Banned
47 Posts
Dunno man, seems you need to be in the DJ forum and not the DH/FR forum, we here actually like to ride our bikes on mountains....oh wait...no I think the majority on this forum need to move over to the DJ forum....

Other then that man, my best advice is, trade your bike for a BMX, your almost there with your setup!!!!!

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
Long cage dérailleur on its own can contribute to chain dropage, because teh tension spring has to work on a longer lever and can't keep the chain as tight.

Get teh medium cage, or short if you can.

If you can't get a guide, make a bash sandwich if you can (ie inner and outer bash ring) I have had zero chain drop issues.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
The BB mount version goes between your drive side cup and the frame. The BB holds it in position. It'll work fine with BMX type cranks. The only drag with the BB type is that it can get knocked out of position by hitting on rocks, logs, etc.. which also loosens the drive side cup a bit. Not a huge issue but a little annoying.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
on your bottom bracket there is a spacer (usually) between the drive side shell and the frame, the BB mount guides go in place of this.

For free ridy/DJ stuff a jump stop won't work so well. It won't help you if the chain comes of the bottom of the ring, esp if you back pedal to negotiate tech/jumps/drops...

I ride some pretty rough sections, and I figured, if I see even one chain drop, I'll get a guide, been riding the bash sandwich for a year now, haven't dropped a chain once.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah, on a 1x9, never do long cage if you can help it...

medium or short if you can.

you just gotta make sure the chain is long enough when the bike is fully compressed (if you're doing full squish).

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
i run a long cage x-7 on my kumicho. i got it for cheap when i bought the shifter so i figured what the hell why not. It works great. If you aren't super smooth or don't pick lines weel, then i would look at a short or med cage.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its going on a hardtail build im doing...kinda a do it all fr/dh/dj/xc bike

im for sure getting a medium cage now, and ill try the bash sandwitch and if i drop chains like mad ill upgrade to the bb mount guide...sounds like a good plan to me to do on the cheap

Edit: thanks everyone for the help! and ill fosho post up some pics when i get er done

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You won't be dropping a chain constantly... especially if you run a chainguide.

A Stinger will only prevent the chain from coming off the bottom, it's more likely to derail off the top of the ring.

A bash sandwich will work unless you're crazy rough and get the chain to jump the bash.

A long cage will work fine. The tension spring has to work on a longer lever... but I don't think that it makes that big of a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.