Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
the WALKING DEAD
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not ridden a superlight or a heckler, but aren't they supposed to be the most neutral pedalling in the middle ring? If a guy wanted a less expensive, less maintenance frame, and knew he could ride all his local trails with a 32x11-34, wouldn't that be ideal? Comments from owners using the middle ring on all 9 cogs would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Im a 1x9er, i use a 34x11-34 on my 04 Heckler and it works a treat. I think if you settle on the 1 gear on front you get used to it, you might not always have the perfect rpm on it but you seem to power thru when you have no choice. I still beat my friends on there fully geared bikes:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I ride a triple on my 07 SL but spend 99% of my time in middle ring and can climb most things and pedals fine in all gears I have 32 32-11, my 07 Heckler is a double and again 32 32-11 and again climbs most things also 100% use the middle ring, never once used the granny

·
Registered
65 Posts
I run a 1x9 on my 04 Heckler and I do not miss my other rings. My combo is 32x11/32 and works great on Austin Texas trails. I suppose I could run an 11/34 cassette, but this works so well, I have yet to find a compelling reason to make the change.

I have two other bikes, one singlespeed and one 27, but I prefer this set-up over the others. It simply gives me the right balance of range and trouble-free performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.