Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Realistically how much weight would I save going to a 1X9 set up? Currently run Truvativ Carbon, XTR F derailer, and XT rapid fire.

2) Has anyone that switched to 1X9 setup regretted it.

3) How big of a deal is it to change out the chainring to switch up gear ratios? Wouldn't I need to add or remove chainlinks each time too?

I mostly race XC in the Midwest but am a little worried if I do get out west the set up would suck.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
1) Realistically how much weight would I save going to a 1X9 set up? Currently run Truvativ Carbon, XTR F derailer, and XT rapid fire.

Not much... add to the derailleur and shifter, the weight of the chain ring and bolts and if you shortened the chain, a little more.

2) Has anyone that switched to 1X9 setup regretted it.

No.. but I did switch to 34T front ring to get more range out of my gears on the road.

3) How big of a deal is it to change out the chainring to switch up gear ratios? Wouldn't I need to add or remove chainlinks each time too?

You could keep the chain a little long and do it with no problems.

I mostly race XC in the Midwest but am a little worried if I do get out west the set up would suck.

The only other options I would consider besides 1x9 is single speed which I have on my other bike. 1x9 is obviously better when you're riding on varied terrains.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Concerning the weight, you save about a pound by stripping the bike down. I too am using a 34t SS chainring w/ a PAUL chain keeper. It's all you need and it will make you faster if your racing. It will train your body to use what gears you have, if you think you'll run out of gear selection.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I considered a 1X9 set up, all three of my bikes are currently set up 2X9. But frequestly on those long climbs, I find myself thinking, "Man, I'm sure glad I have that small chain ring." If you really nead to drop a pound, skip breakfast.

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
K.C. said:
I considered a 1X9 set up, all three of my bikes are currently set up 2X9. But frequestly on those long climbs, I find myself thinking, "Man, I'm sure glad I have that small chain ring." If you really nead to drop a pound, skip breakfast.
What is your 2x9? What crank? Did you buy it stock or have to tinker to build it? I've thought about going from 3X9 down to a 2 or 1X9....Just curious. I'd love to see some pics if you've got them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What kind of shifters/brtakes are you running?

I went from XTR dual controls to a 1X9 and pulled off over 2 lbs, but I also pulledthe dual controls, the XTR brakes, FD, etc. I installed Formula R1's and an XTR shifter pod for the rear and added a Paul chain keeper.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
K.C. said:
The fact that it would be harder doesn't make it a bad choice;) Don't sell yourself short. I bet there are SSers who ride those same long climbs as you.

Your body builds fitness somewhat specifically based on how you ride. Singlespeed and 1x9 are harder at first because your body isn't adapted to work that way, and the inverse can be true too. Many SS-only riders would actually have a hard time trying to spin a granny gear up a long climb (believe me, I've tried). The point is if you are willing to try it and put time into it then it might turn out different than you thought. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
lluv2adjust: I have the same set up on 26 FS stumpy, hardtail 29 ( Soma Juice), and FS 29 (Lenz Leviathan). All three have XT crank sets, 22t and 34t, different bashguards ( Race Face, Gold Tooth, Gaumit) replacing large chain ring up front. All cassettes 11-34 (xt on stumpy and Sram PG 990 on 29ers). Boomn: you are totally right about about building fitness, I'm with you on that. But the trails we frequently climb are up to 4000 feet over 4 to 12 miles, (depending on routes), we're out 3 to 6 hours, and may cover 40 miles. And to make it worse, (or better depending on your viewpoint) we do not shuttle. I gotta tell you, while doing that kind of riding, I do ocassionally drop down into the granny.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
K.C. said:
you are totally right about about building fitness, I'm with you on that. But the trails we frequently climb are up to 4000 feet over 4 to 12 miles, (depending on routes), we're out 3 to 6 hours, and may cover 40 miles. And to make it worse, (or better depending on your viewpoint) we do not shuttle. I gotta tell you, while doing that kind of riding, I do ocassionally drop down into the granny.
excuses:p I can't say I normally ride anything like that. Done it a couple times but with a granny. However, I have also watched SS riders easily pass me on a loose gravel "granny climb" and finish the 4200ft 26mi race way ahead of me. I know there are guys on this forum who have gone into 5 digits of climbing on an SS too, but that is just freakish. It only works if you put in the effort, but for riding like you do I suppose that is very understandable not to

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plan to go to the new :thumbsup: FSA 386 double crank 40/27 w/ an 11/34 SRAM cassette, orrrrr, :blush: a shimano 12/36, for Syllamo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
boomn said:
excuses:p I can't say I normally ride anything like that. Done it a couple times but with a granny. However, I have also watched SS riders easily pass me on a loose gravel "granny climb" and finish the 4200ft 26mi race way ahead of me. I know there are guys on this forum who have gone into 5 digits of climbing on an SS too, but that is just freakish. It only works if you put in the effort, but for riding like you do I suppose that is very understandable not to
Those type of SS riders are impressive, I can't comprehend what that would take. Regarding
1x9 vs 2x9, ultimately I decided 9 gears was just too limiting. I did think about it though.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy the Middleburn RS7 or RS8's with an Uno. If you decide you need more get yourself the duo rings in the sizes you want. I echo the Paul Chain watcher suggestion on the Uno. I like my Middleburn a wee bit more than my Eno but they're both great. Also- go to a website for gearing ranges (Think sheldon has one) and you will find that if you go 11-34 on the casette you have almost all the same gears. Both 2x9 & 3x9's have a lot of redundancy.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
rooster44 said:
My suggestion would be to buy the Middleburn RS7 or RS8's with an Uno. If you decide you need more get yourself the duo rings in the sizes you want. I echo the Paul Chain watcher suggestion on the Uno. I like my Middleburn a wee bit more than my Eno but they're both great. Also- go to a website for gearing ranges (Think sheldon has one) and you will find that if you go 11-34 on the casette you have almost all the same gears. Both 2x9 & 3x9's have a lot of redundancy.
Yep, Sheldon has a good one: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

IIRC a 22t granny nets you three additional ratios over a 32t ring with that size cassette

·
Registered
663 Posts
I love the 1x9 set up. I had a 26" bike with 5" of travel that was build with 3 rings. Eventually i dropped the big ring because I was not using it very much and eventually realized that I almost never used the granny. Not enough tourque with the granny and it just feels easier to stand and hammer a bigger gear vs being in the granny.

The 1x9 will save weight and you will never drop the chain ( I use a NGear Jump Stop with Gamut bash guard and have never dropped a chain). I ride a 29er and find I can climb everything on my 32 x 11-34 that I could on my old 2 ring set up. I agree with the other posts about having less gears will make you stronger. The 1x9 makes you use what you got. If the trail is too steep it would probably be faster to run up the trail than try to wobble up in in a granny gear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great replies and perspectives.

Does anyone that is running a 1X9 set up change their chainring out depending on the course like a SS rider would or is it a big pain?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From Sheldon's site:

For 29 inch (nominal) tire with 175 mm cranks

With 10-speed 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28-34 Cassette

44 37.5 % 32 45.5 % 22
11 31.1 22.6 15.5
18.2 %
13 26.3 19.1 13.1
15.4 %
15 22.8 16.6 11.4
13.3 %
17 20.1 14.6 10.0
11.8 %
19 18.0 13.1 9.0
10.5 %
21 16.3 11.8 8.1
9.5 %
23 14.9 10.8 7.4
8.7 %
25 13.7 9.9 6.8
12.0 %
28 12.2 8.9 6.1
21.4 %
34 10.0 7.3 5.0

Basically takes away the 2 to three gears on the bottom and 2 on the top. There are a couple races I do with fire road sections that get over 25mph so I'd be spinning but it'd probably be alright.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
rooster44 said:
This is a good idea regarding the Middleburns (having the option to go Duo). However, don't forget that you can do the exact same thing with an ENO crank and the VBC rings that White Industries makes. You could get an ENO ring to start, and if you wanted 2 rings, get the VBC rings and run whatever ring combo you want. ENO's are awesome cranks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
rooster44 said:
Sheldon's calculator is pretty cool. When I started my new build, I was considering the 1x9 and was convinced of it when I realized that getting rid of the big ring and granny would only cost me 5 gears based on the overlap. It's the 2 highest on the big ring and the 3 lowest on the granny...all of which are gears I rarely need where I ride.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
biketango said:
Thanks for all the great replies and perspectives.

Does anyone that is running a 1X9 set up change their chainring out depending on the course like a SS rider would or is it a big pain?
Naw...I've stuck with the chain-ring and cassette combo that works the best for me in most situations (32T chain-ring and 11-34T casette)....

although it is relatively simple to change out gears/rings if you have the right tools I mostly don't do it for another reason: My riding style requires a bash-ring and chain-retention device and these take a bit of tinkering for them to work properly on my FS bike.....so I don't like messing with removing rings and the crankset for this reason...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts