Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
I just converted my 3X9 to a 1X9 by just removing the front d-railer and have to say that it couldn't hurt to have a chain guide...

I have about 4 hours on this setup on medium to hardish single track in VA and after large sections of rocky or rooty it tends to jump off to the smaller (or in one case the larger ring) only once it totally fell off the chainring... I am proabably gonna ride it as is for a while untill i totally get fed up with it jumping...

so bottom line... necessary. no. IMO it would be nice... but not necessary

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd have agree that strictly speaking it really isn't neccesary. However I do have a 1x7 and a 1x9 and the 1x9 with the jump stop has far fewer problems with the chain flying off than the 1x7 without it.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/chain-accessories/n-gear/jump-stop/PRD_350826_111crx.aspx

This isn't really an issue if your doing some light trail riding but if you're like me and deliberately catch air I would strongly suggest getting jump stop. It's well worth the 12-13 dollars that you have to pay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ran a 1x9 on my FS 26inch wheeled bike and periodically the chain would come off in fast rough sections, even with a third eye chain guide. Finally rigged up a rigid derailler as a guide. I should mention that my 1x9 on my little wheel, I ran a 43 chainring on the inside. I'm currently using a PAUL chain keeper on my Unicoi 29er with no problems. As long as you're a hardtail there shouldn't be any problems, or just go SS. That solves everything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you're using a triple ring as a single then yes you'll probably need one (the ring has shallower teeth to help with shifting, which also help it to jump off when you don't want it to).

If you have a dedicated SS or 1x9 ring (ie taller teeth) then it's up to you. I use a Middleburn Uno ring and I've never had a problem, but then I don't do a lot of jumpy stuff.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I ran a middleburn RS7 Uno crankset in 1x7, 1x8, and 1x9 configurations. I always ran a jump-stop because they were cheap insurance and I figured it would never pop off to the outside. Well I was wrong about that. Even with a decent chainline, taller SS ring teeth, and a shorter med cage Xt rear derailluer with no excess chain I would still lose the chain to the outside at times. It was always a predictable event and Involved a rutted bouncy downhill where I was hammering away in a 32x11 or 12 combo. Even with a shortened chain it would still pop off. I finally just popped for a Pauls chainguide and haven't had an incident since. Thats just my experience and others don't seem to have the issues so go figure eh?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm sold on the 1x9 setup. My plan is a 36T chainring with a 11-34 rear cassette and a Paul Chain Keeper. Not to hijack your thread but..... Does anybody have a good reason not to go with the 36T chainring? I've done the math and like the ratios for Virginia. Secondly, does anybody know what size Chain Keeper I should buy? I ride a 09 GF Ferrous. Thanks. Great thread!!

·
In Bum Fcuk Egypt
73 Posts
ppfeifer, you need a 32mm keeper. I'm in Md. and I'm running 33x11-32. Actually works really well for me. Good luck on the conversion!

Jeff

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you guys have any trouble climbing the steeps with a 1X9? I am thinking about using a 32 front ring with a 10 speed cassette. Do you see any trouble with this set-up?

Thanks!

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
single speed kid said:
Do you guys have any trouble climbing the steeps with a 1X9? I am thinking about using a 32 front ring with a 10 speed cassette. Do you see any trouble with this set-up?

Thanks!
It depends on your abilities and the hill itself. I haven't encountered a hill I couldn't do with a 32f/34r ratio but I'm sure they're out there:thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Singl speed kid...

I am guessing you sigle speed. I do as well. I just switched over my bike to 1x9 (32 front ) a few minutes ago for a ride with some buddies tomorrow As far as the steeps, look at it this way: it has more gears than one:) . It took about 35 minutes. I have used it for some burly extended climbs (pisgah/ heart break ridge), and it IS my go to set up for serious climbing days and endurance rides. I actually single speed 80% of the time I MTB, but the 1x9 is sweet as well.
B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts