Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently added gears to my bike with track ends. It was very simple. The internet abounds with people querying how to hang gears on track ends ('rearwardfacinghorizontaldropouts'), and replies along the lines of "sell it and buy a geared bike." Here then for anyone in a similar predicament is how to do it.

Ingredients

Single speed frame with track ends. Here I'm using a Bianchi San Jose.

Cassette wheel. Right there may be a problem, hubwise, for some one trying to gear up a track frame with 120mm spacing.

Direct-mount downhill rear derailleur. Here I'm using a Shimano Hone, which slots into your track ends and bolts to the hub. It's designed to bolt onto a special Hone hub and axel, but all we need is a way to hold it still on the frame. A normal quick release skewer isn't long enough, since the RD sticks out past the frame. However...

An XL QR skewer from Old Man Mountain does the trick. Another option is a fatbike skewer like Salsa's which is like $50 more expensive

Recipe
1) Switch wheels

2) Clamp on RD with your QR

3) Connect your shifter. Here I'm using a 9 speed downtube shifter, mounted to an Origin8 clamp. It looks to be the same thing as the Problem Solvers clamp (same factory, different branding) but was 75% cheaper. Shifting from the downtube reduces my cable clutter and saved $.

4) You may need help with cable routing. Here I'm ell ging (autocorrect for 'epoxying') a cable guide to my BB shell.

I think that's it!

Oh— make sure you use a SS chainring so your chain stays put

Good luck!>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! This is my commuter bike— I would be using trigger or thumb shifters on a mtb for sure! There are a lot of SS 29ers out there with track ends, though, so I figured this was the place to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.