Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need help.
I want to convert my 3x9 to a 1x9 by keeping the middle chainring, because its not set up well and inconsistent shifting. However theres a problem I might encounter. My complete drivetrain and brakes are Deore LX and the bike is from 2006. Which means that my shifters and brake levers are all in one. I shift up by pushing the brake down and shift down by pulling the brake lever up. Am I right, if I think that my brake lever is going to be flimsy when theres no derailleur to tension the lever. How hard would it be for me to do that as I am 16? Also the bottom bracket is Hollow-Tech

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then maybe you should set the bike correctly - regarding the front mech?

Anyhow - you can take off the left shifter/lever combo and replace it with any Shimano lever, then just bleed the brake.
What do you mean by "regarding the front mech", I dont understand it well
Also I wouldnt like to spend any money because my parents dont agree with spending money on a "downgrade" that I might want to revert after a few months

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
Then maybe you should set the bike correctly - regarding the front mech?

Anyhow - you can take off the left shifter/lever combo and replace it with any Shimano lever, then just bleed the brake.
Sounds like he's got dual control levers..

Also I wouldnt like to spend any money because my parents dont agree with spending money on a "downgrade" that I might want to revert after a few months
He means that if the front derailleur isn't shifting right, then maybe your first order of action should be to get it set up right. It'll take a little effort, and maybe a little bit of money, but is one of your least expensive options. Worst case, you take it to a bike shop. Me, though, I HATE those dual control levers. I remember when they came out and I never liked them. Though I did get to ride them, I never saw enough of them to be able to say whether removing the front derailleur to use them 1x would work well. I guess you could remove the cable and see. A new cable is only a couple bucks if you decide to go back. And it's a good idea to replace those from time to time, anyway.

Unfortunately at this point, changing over to separate shifters/brake levers is going to be a pain in the ass. The "simplest" way to do it would be to replace the brakes completely and the drivetrain completely. I say that because you're going to encounter a wide range of things related to compatibility and availability of 13 year old parts. Some you probably won't realize until you've already bought something and are neck deep into trying to figure out why something isn't working right.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sounds like he's got dual control levers..
Yes. And in order to un-dual control them, the easiest way, apart from doing nothing, is to replace the entire dual-control lever with a simple brake lever from shimano. They are entirely cross compatible.

xperiaking247 said:
If something doesn't work, you ought to fix it. That is what I meant. Adjusting a front mech isn't rocket science and in spite of horror stories told on these very forums, front derailleurs usually work fine.

You can just get rid of the front derailleur, replace the rings with a single chinese $7 N/W ring and call it a day - if you so choose. Running a dual-control lever without anything attached just looks weird, but works fine.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Your parents are right...I would focus on a quick, cheap fix. Then go ride it and save up for a newer bike. I had a 2009 Kona Dawg Supreme with the same 'combined' shifter/brake levers (Shimano Saints). When set up properly it worked fine. It was 3X9 so each brake lever controlled a derailleur.

You say you want to replace because your front derailleur is 'improperly setup and inconsistent shifting'. Have you taken the time to focus on WHY and tried to correct it? Front derailleurs have been around forever and when properly setup they shift great...yours is no exception. Maybe all you need is a $10 shift cable and some tweaking to get things right.

Regarding conversion to 1X9...on an older bike any wear on drivetrain (cassette, chain, chainrings) needs to be factored in. If any one of those drivetrain components gets replaced with new it will be mismatched with the wear on the other components and you will have shifting issues. Many folks replace a chain on an older bike only to discover the shifting is poor and they wonder why...THIS is why.

I recently converted a 3X9 to 1X9 on a 2012 SC Heckler...I replaced cassette, derailleur, chain, crank/chainring, bottom bracket and cables. I stayed with 9spd so I was able to use existing 9spd shifter. I chose a N/W chainring (narrow/wide tooth profile) to reduce dropped chains. This was about $275 going with on-line deals on parts and assembling myself. Plus, if you want to replace your levers/shifters it's going to be closer to $500 doing it yourself. Depending on bike & condition it's worth considering but in your case, if you sold your 2006 bike for $300 you would be doing well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your parents are right...I would focus on a quick, cheap fix. Then go ride it and save up for a newer bike. I had a 2009 Kona Dawg Supreme with the same 'combined' shifter/brake levers (Shimano Saints). When set up properly it worked fine. It was 3X9 so each brake lever controlled a derailleur.

You say you want to replace because your front derailleur is 'improperly setup and inconsistent shifting'. Have you taken the time to focus on WHY and tried to correct it? Front derailleurs have been around forever and when properly setup they shift great...yours is no exception. Maybe all you need is a $10 shift cable and some tweaking to get things right.

Regarding conversion to 1X9...on an older bike any wear on drivetrain (cassette, chain, chainrings) needs to be factored in. If any one of those drivetrain components gets replaced with new it will be mismatched with the wear on the other components and you will have shifting issues. Many folks replace a chain on an older bike only to discover the shifting is poor and they wonder why...THIS is why.

I recently converted a 3X9 to 1X9 on a 2012 SC Heckler...I replaced cassette, derailleur, chain, crank/chainring, bottom bracket and cables. I stayed with 9spd so I was able to use existing 9spd shifter. I chose a N/W chainring (narrow/wide tooth profile) to reduce dropped chains. This was about $275 going with on-line deals on parts and assembling myself. Plus, if you want to replace your levers/shifters it's going to be closer to $500 doing it yourself. Depending on bike & condition it's worth considering but in your case, if you sold your 2006 bike for $300 you would be doing well.
My 2016 midrange hardtail got stolen, alivio 3x8 and srsuntour fork and I have always wanted a full-suspension so bought my current bike for 220 USD. It needs investing but it was the cheapest real full suspension bike (there are people selling walmart fullsus. and 1998 giants and treks for more money). Looks like I will be riding my bike as is and not mess with 1x drivetrains anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.