Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently switched to a single 32T ring up front with a Jump Stop and a 11-34 cassette in the back. Before this I was running a 22/32T combination with a 11-32 cassette.
I noticed my chainline wasn't perfect with the single ring so I put a spacer from the DS bb cup on the NDS cup. The chainline is much better this way.

I was wondering if running 2 spacers on the NDS cup and 1 on the DS cup (the bike is a 2004 Specialized Enduro, so it's got a 68mm bracket, thus needing 3 spacers) is bad? There's not much thread inserted in the frame on the NDS this way .

Thanks in advance,

Enduro_506

·
Hazzah!
177 Posts
Enduro_506 said:
Hi,

I recently switched to a single 32T ring up front with a Jump Stop and a 11-34 cassette in the back. Before this I was running a 22/32T combination with a 11-32 cassette.
I noticed my chainline wasn't perfect with the single ring so I put a spacer from the DS bb cup on the NDS cup. The chainline is much better this way.

I was wondering if running 2 spacers on the NDS cup and 1 on the DS cup (the bike is a 2004 Specialized Enduro, so it's got a 68mm bracket, thus needing 3 spacers) is bad? There's not much thread inserted in the frame on the NDS this way .

Thanks in advance,

Enduro_506
what lenght BB are you using? 113mm -118mm..etc..
I run a 1x9 setup, 32T ring witha 12/26 cassette. I use a 113m BB and an Evil SRS...

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a 2005 XT Hollowtech 2 crankset with the integrated bb, so I don't know about the length of it. My question is: is it bad to have the NDS cup installed with few threads inserted?

Btw: nice bike!

·
Hazzah!
177 Posts
Enduro_506 said:
I'm using a 2005 XT Hollowtech 2 crankset with the integrated bb, so I don't know about the length of it. My question is: is it bad to have the NDS cup installed with few threads inserted?

Btw: nice bike!
How was the bike shifting before you added the spacers? If it wasn't giving you any problems with chain suck or ghost shifting I'd say take the spacers out. If you've only got a few threads inserted I'd say you're tempting fate....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before, my front chainring was in line with my 6th or 7th gear in the back. This means I had a really bad chainline in the 32-32 gear combination. Since I put an extra spacer on the NDS, my chain is pretty much straight in the middle cog gear in the back. Shifting between the top cogs is almost much better now.

I thought maybe the extra inserted thread on the DS would make up for the minimal inserted thread on the NDS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.