Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big "T"
369 Posts
I've used just about every kind of chain guide and tensioner out there. I got an MRP last year and initially liked the design a lot. But the thing is made of plastic and requires a torx wrench to install on your bike. While some of us have a full tool chest, there's a few items most don't have (a torx wrench is one of them).

I broke the MRP after about 6 weeks of use. My chain jammed up between it and my ring and snapped it in two.

If you're concerned about durability I'd suggest the Paul, or to get an N Stop and an outer chaintring guide.

·
Just here for the scenery
354 Posts
N-Gear plus a Raceface bash ring have been fine for me.

The ring is kind of a big honkin' slab of aluminum and I keep thinking I'll replace it with something a little more svelte, about which time I usually hit a log or a rock and am glad it is there fending things off.

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
I ran an N Gear + bashguard on my Rig for a full race season and had several dropped chains with this setup. No matter how I setup the N Gear, it was never perfect. Its also a bit on the flimsy side, I won't use it again when I build my next 1x9. I like the look of the Paul setup the most but i like to run a bash guard. I'm looking into having a custom one machined out of billet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.