Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to make my 29er 1x9. What kind of chain tension system do I need to use? Can I use my single speed cranks and ring in the front? Any help would be greatly appreciated thankshttps://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/smile5.gifhttps://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

G

·
if you ride HARD you will drop the chain if you don't have a retention device.

N-gear jumpstop works. Cheap, light, not super reliable (can be broken or easily bent, loses adjustment)

Rohloff works. Not cheap, relatively light, super reliable if someone with a couple brain cells firing sets it up. May require machining/modifying (actually it most likely will).

MIP Mini-Me. Not cheap, not light, never ever ever drop a chain again. Only for DH, FR or heavy "AM" riding.

Shiggy Solution. Cheap. Light. Effective, but not very pleasing to my eye.

there are other solutions like rigging up a FD, i dismiss these as cluged. they are aesthetically displeasing.

also, to do this correctly you will use a short (or medium, or road) cage RD. you will use a shorter chain. will will most likely need an 11-34 cassette if you do extended steep climbs you will also want the 30T Extralite (104BCD) chainring or a SS ring in the same gear range (only use the SS gear if you don't do boulders that would destroy an unprotected SS ring).

i have ridden 1X9 for a while now (all three of my bikes). i have wasted some money on stuff and have tried all of the above solutions.

some day i will have a Rohloff hub. :D I am holding out for the lighter version.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
lil hillbilly said:
White Ind Eno cranks and a short cage der. helps. Ya could also use a road der.

I havent lost a chain yet. The single speed chain ring probley the reason.
I'm sorry, but if you ride hard enough that chain is going to come off. I tried my ENO with the short cage for a bit and dropped the chain anytime the going got rough enough.

·
Ozark Native
600 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
I'm sorry, but if you ride hard enough that chain is going to come off. I tried my ENO with the short cage for a bit and dropped the chain anytime the going got rough enough.
ya know if ya beat the dog snot out of it I guess it will come off, but to this point under ruff, rocky, root laden trails at speed this has not happend...yet. :rolleyes:

And what does hard enough mean. :confused: :madman:

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
I run 1x8 using the following set-up on a rigid Karate Monkey:

• Outside bashguard
  • 32T singlespeed ring on Deore MTB cranks
  • 11-34 megarange 8-speed cassette

Chainline is key: I run mine as close inside as possible without having the chainring hit the frame, using a narrow bottom bracket and also a thin spacer behind the casette. I also run the chain tight, so that the rear derailleur is stretched to the max in the 32-34 combo.

I haven't dropped the chain on this set-up other than in a wipeout. I also ran my previous bike (26er) this way for half a season. I don't do any drops or jumps but I do rattle through my share of roots, rocks, creeks, washboards, etc.

I say you should at least try this set-up before you get some kind of chain device. Worse comes to worse, you drop it a few times and realize you need something else to hold it on the front.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
lil hillbilly said:
And what does hard enough mean. :confused: :madman:
simple, hard enough that the chain slack is tossed during heavy riding. :thumbsup:

Even with a short cage, there is still enough chain slack to toss the chain with ease.

·
bigsbymalone
94 Posts
I'm with the hillbilly...

On my Sultan I ran a sram xo short cage r der w/a ss chainring up front w/a bashring and no retention device (before my front der arrived) and I never had an issue w/the chain dropping. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the chain never came off with that setup. I rode the bike hard w/that setup by anyones standards. Say what you want but it's not absolutely necessary to run a retention device given proper setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Another Rohloff user

The price of these things is insulting indeed :rolleyes: , however it is one of the more aesthetically pleasing and lightweight solutions. It would be very easy to fabricate one if so inclined. Some sheet aluminum, screws and spacers from Home Despot and your set.

As others have said, you will most likely have to modify it and play with the spacer set-up to dial it in. I had to use a longer clamp screw, and add spacers to it.

To date, not a single dropped chain. I ride on desert terrain, uber rocky.

My bike is 1x9 with medium cage Sram XO derailuer.

G

·
i could ride all day and never drop my chain...

if i was on sedatives!

a specific example: traveling down a steep chute on my Niner doing approx 13mph over 4-6" baby heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.