Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids Pooygon Relic 24 came with the Shimano HG-200-8 12-32T drivetrain using a 32T chainring. He could use a couple lower gears for hills and as some on here said he is “leveling up” quickly.

He wants to ditch the grip shifter for triggers, and he wants a wider range of gears. I’m thinking of swapping out the cassette for a Sunrace 11-40T or Acolyte 12-42T, since the Tourney TX maxes out at 42T. But, if I do that I’m buying a new cassette and a new shifter, and at that point why not replace with a clutch derailleur?

I was looking at the Box Four group set, seems a bit spendy at $160. The Acolyte right around $135 seems more reasonable. Any quality differences? Both seem to have very positive reviews and I’m new to this whole thing.

Since he wants to dump the shifter replacing the derailleur at that point seems to make the most sense. Thoughts on that?

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Not sure on Box, but worth noting that the Acolyte shifter & derailleur use a different pull ratio than standard 8 speed -- so you'd need to make sure to match those up. Using the Tourney with the Acolyte shifter or the Acolyte RD with a Shimano 8 speed shifter wouldn't work.

I've been using them on my own bike with the 12-46t cassette and have been pretty happy with it so far. The cassette is all steel and pretty heavy compared to some of the Sunrace options, but I'm not too worried about it for myself since it's on an older steel bike with a rear rack that's usually carrying snacks & water.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TimTucker if I went with either I'd do a full swap. The only option I'd stick with the Tourney is going with a SunRace cassette. I'm intrigued by the Box chain and chainring dedicated for an 8 speed.

I'm not overly concerned with weight, but I'd like to cut it down a touch when doing some of this work. I notice a fair amount of chain flop with the Tourney, although it hasn't been an issue yet. He just hates the grip shifter. He can't use it without letting go of the grip to twist it.

· Registered
469 Posts
Microshift Advent 1x9 is rock solid, cheap, durable and reliable. I had that and had zero issues. Replaced it with a Box One 11speed and the box is very well made.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
There is nothing nothing proprietary about the acolyte cassette that would prohibit me from using it with the tourney and vice versa, SunRace cassette with acolyte derailleur?
Correct, the cassettes themselves all have the same spacing and as long as the derailleur has the capacity you should be able to pick any 8 speed cassette.

Note that from what I've read on here in the past, it sounds like Sunrace is the actual OEM for many of Box's cassettes (Prime 9 may be an exception).

· Registered
821 Posts
The Tourney TX has a 43T CAPACITY which is different than MAX SPROCKET SIZE. The Tourney TX only handles a maximum of sprocket size of 34t. Usually you can handle an extra 2-4t depending on how much B-gap adjustment you have left in your derailleur. I've run 40t max sprockets on older derailleurs before without issue. So you will probably need a new rear detailleur if you are stepping up to something in the 42-51t range.

Outside of Shimano or SRAM I can highly recommended the Micro shift Advent and Advent X. You could probably put together a 9 or 10 speed Shimano drivetrain pretty cheap (Deore Clutched derailleur about $60, cheap Chinese cassette ($30), 9 or 10 speed shifter $20-30.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Tourney TX has a 43T CAPACITY which is different than MAX SPROCKET SIZE. The Tourney TX only handles a maximum of sprocket size of 34t. Usually you can handle an extra 2-4t depending on how much B-gap adjustment you have left in your derailleur. I've run 40t max sprockets on older derailleurs before without issue.
What exactly is the difference?

· Registered
1,100 Posts
What exactly is the difference?
Capacity is basically how many extra chain links the derailleur can pick up slack for and is usually based on how long the cage is.

Max sprocket size is based on how far down the body of the derailleur can move to accommodate bigger cogs.

Derailleurs designed for 3x drivetrains often have larger capacity but a lower max sprocket size.

· Registered
287 Posts
How do you figure the $135 price for the Acolyte system? The Shifter is $17, Cassette is $35(12-46T), and the clutch derailleur is $34 from universal cycles. That's $86 plus a few bucks for shipping. For $86, this groupset is well worth the money, shifts perfect and smooth.

I spent another $14 on a KMC 8 speed chain(X8.93) and like $10 for a derailleur cable and hose, but if your old one is long enough, you can probably reuse it. But for both the chain and cable, you might be able to reuser the old ones. Chain might be a little small.

· Registered
911 Posts
As Neseth stated, the price of the Acolyte setup is easily under $100 and undoubtedly the best value going for a kids bike. As mentioned, the cassette (we have the 46T) is heavy, but the system performs very well. When we made the switch on my son's 24" bike, I had an old X9.93 9 speed chain laying around that was still good.

· Registered
287 Posts
I'd amend that to "best value going" period - aside from the questionable decision to have the cassette start at 12t, there's not much to criticize for the price.
I don't think 12T is that questionable because I really don't want my kid going that fast anyways. For kids that can shred and are comfortable at really high speeds, you can spend a little more and get the 9 or 10 speed.

· Registered
547 Posts
I don't think 12T is that questionable because I really don't want my kid going that fast anyways. For kids that can shred and are comfortable at really high speeds, you can spend a little more and get the 9 or 10 speed.
For those of us who use the same bike (hardtail) road and trail, I have to agree with Tim. But I have a second wheel set that shortly will get an 11-40 cassette with commuter tires and the trail wheel set will get the 12-46 and the trail tires

· Registered
233 Posts
My 5 year old has the box 8 speed and he has a heck of a time shifting it. I am going to try lube up the cables and maybe replace the cable. I was thinking of putting a smaller capacity 8 speed cassette to reduce the jumps, but it sounds like I will need to see if the box shifter and derailleur will play nice with a different brand cassette.

· Registered
30 Posts
My daughter just got her Vitus Nucleus delivered a couple weeks ago and it came stock with the Box Four system. I'm very impressed with it so far and she has found the trigger shifter to be pretty easy to use. I swapped out the stock Sunrace 11-34 cassette for an Acolyte 12-42 which helped her quite a bit getting up the hills. My only complaint about the groupset is that the clutch can't be turned off, so maintenance work can be a little more annoying on the rear end but overall no big deal. We're on the hunt for a second bike for her for family rides, camping, riding to school, etc. and I'm going to put a Box Four drivetrain on that as well so there's no confusion for her when swapping bikes (going 11-34 on this bike though).

I've used the Microshift Advent 9 speed system as well (if your hub fits an 8 speed cassette it'll also fit 9). I like Advent just as much if not more. I'd be very comfortable buying the Acolyte system as well to save some cash based on my experience with Advent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.