Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of why I went with a Surly 1x1 last summer was because I had read that I could convert it into a 29er. So, after a failed experiment with an On*One Inbred (non-29er), I decided to give the 1x1 a whack at the 29er conversion.

I guess it kinda worked.

Disc 700c wheels were a must, so I got a relatively inexpensive set off Nashbar and took advantage of the Hayes MX2 mechanical disc brake sale over Christmas from Jenson. On 700c wheels, the 8" rotors don't look too large, do they. Brakes haven't burned in yet, so it'll take a few more rides before I get a real feel of them.

On those wheels, I mounted a pair of Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tires. As you can see from the first picture, there's plenty of clearance, even with the side knobs trimmed off the rear tire (they were used tires off ebay). In the front, the 1x1 fork still has room to spare. I'm guessing the range of 2.1 tires available should be OK, front and back.

I followed the advice given here, and went from a 34x20 on the original build-up to a 34x22 for this 29er setup.

How's it ride? It rides remarkably well. I figured that the bike simply sits higher, no weird offsetting angles or what not. The conditions yesterday were sloppy, sloppier this, and even more sloppy. And I had an absolute blast. For one, the skinnier tires made it easier to wade through the muck than the 2.5 tires I usually sport. I don't know if it was the reduced gearing or the size of the wheels, but climbing seemed a bit easier. Before I even got on the bike, I was skeptical that it might not work or that I might hate the ride and have to go back to 26" wheels, or that the skinny tires would seem relatively harsh. Pleased to report that all presumptions were completely unfounded.

Oh, and after all that, it's still lighter than my Inbred!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice conversion! Bummer that the Inbred didn't work out for you.

Are those the Hayes Mx-2 that are being sold at the steal price around $38 a pop? I was eyeing those brakes.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Nice

That's more clearance on that 26" frame than a custom 29" I put together a few weeks ago.

This particular frame was made SS specific, and there was less than 1/4" from a Kenda Karma 2.1 on the chainstay and seatstay. No room for a larger tire or a wheel even slightly out of true. If it were my custom frame, I would have boxed it back up and returned it, but it's not, so I didn't. I'm not going to say who the builder was/is, but they're generally well respected on this board. Guess the owner forgot to ask for clearance, but I would have figured that most builders would provide for a decent sized tire..

Good lookin bike.

Plum

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
nice Spin! ABout time you rsplurged on this build. Throw on the 2.1's(any of 'em will work, really) and you are more than adequately prepared for this 'club'.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Good onya little brother! Fine look you got goin' with that little Surly.

I gotta go build up a rear discy wheel and do the same thing now....didn't you tell ME at one time that "I was costing YOU money??".

Love ya.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nicely done, locust!

Those Hayes MX2 brakes did come from Jenson, but I got them during their 12 days promo, so I scored them for just under $60 for both calipers and rotors. Quite the steal, I think. They were a breeze to set up. The only thing is I get a bit of rub every now and again, especially when I'm making a turn. I hear this *schwing* noise mostly from the front. Could it possibly be the fork? Or are 8" rotors slightly more 'bendy' than the 6" rotors that I'm more used to?

I was thinking about a pair of 2.1 tires, but wanted to make sure that I had enough clearance in the rear before I committed to anything. I think I've got the space to give. Truth is, I'm really loving these Panaracer Fire Cross tires. If they came in a 2.1 size, I'd snap 'em up in a second. To be frank, though, with this setup, I'm feeling very comfortable on the ride and I feel like I've got oodles of traction. What would a set of 2.1 tires give me that I might not be getting with these tires right now? I see that Price Point's got the IRC Mythos for about $20 a pop. I loved those tires in their 26" guise.

Those wheels are indeed the cheapo Mavic CXP22/ Shimano 475 Disc wheels. They spin forever, so I think the bearings in them feel tasty for the dosh I lay down.

ppppssssshhhttt, xrmattaz! And you were worried I wouldn't find my way back to this bike after I upgraded the gearie hardtail! Would love to see your build of this setup on your 1x1 if you still have it. Means you'll have to go to *gasp!* disc brakes, though!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
ppppssssshhhttt, xrmattaz! And you were worried I wouldn't find my way back to this bike after I upgraded the gearie hardtail! Would love to see your build of this setup on your 1x1 if you still have it. Means you'll have to go to *gasp!* disc brakes, though![/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm running disc brakes on the Vulture (by necessity)....they ain't so bad, eh?

Running a 29" front/26" rear....only need a big disc wheeled rear to convert the Surly!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just finished turning my 2005 On-One Inbred 26er into a 29er.
I also staied with v brakes.
Not much room for the rear tire ( 2.2 ), but i have rode it in mud, rocks
and have had no problems yet.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mondo, would be great if you could post some pics of your build. I'd tried to convert my Inbred into a 29er but to no avail. As you can see from the pictures below, I couldn't even fit a 700x45c tire into the rear, much less a 2.2 tire. I'm also curious as to how you used v-brakes.

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Assuming you can get your chosen tires to fit, 29"ing a 1x1 is actually not a bad idea. It's almost a pound lighter than the KM, and putting in big hoops gets the BB up to 12.7" where IMO it belongs.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
I'm really loving these Panaracer Fire Cross tires. If they came in a 2.1 size, I'd snap 'em up in a second. QUOTE]

I read somewhere that IRD is coming out with this tire in 29x2.1"? I think on Guitar Teds 29'er site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.