Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I´ve been trying to upgrade my MTB latly. Right now, I have this entry level Bike "Scott Aspect 750 2016".
( 2016 Scott Aspect 750 Blue/White Mountain Bike (southforkracing.co.uk) ) Ive made some upgrades on this bike like: Short stem, Maxxis DHF and DHR, Clipless Pedals.... (I think you can already tell where im trying to aim for).

But now, something I really feel I have to change is my drivetrain. I can no longer count the number of times all my Fun ended because of a broken derauiller, broken chain, chain dropping or just overall terrible shifting. Ive been trying to respect and save what I have right now but those poor Altus/Tourney groups just cant handle anymore the type of riding I do.

For that reason, I would like to invest on a all new Drivetrain. Since I hate 3x speeds and "no one" really uses it nowadays I think a 1x12v would be perfect.
But, from what I know, its not that easy to replace what I have to something like Sram NX or something similiar right ? I cant deal with all this compatibility thing.
What I have to do to upgrade my bike drivetrain without assaulting a bank ? (I mean buying a new pair of wheels or frame)

What should I get?
What would work on this bike ?

Thank you,

·
Registered
592 Posts
Since your bike isn't really worth it, because it's old and entry level.
I would suggest keeping the cost as low as possible with a 1x11.

First, your current crankset has riveted chainrings, so you need a new crank set.
You can buy either a crankset for 4 square tapered bb's, or a whole new set with a 24mm axle.

Next, you are lucky that you bike has a real freehub body, so upgrading to any 1x drivetrain is easy.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a Deore 1x11 with a 11-46 Sunrace cassette.
A cheap Shimano crankset with a 104mm bcd standard and a cheap 104bcd 7$ Dekas chainring from china.
Those Dekas chainrings are very good value. They are light, cheap and last as long as any more expensive chainrings you can find from other brands.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cost of drivetrain vs. bike cost. You can move the drivetrain to a future bike. Chain, cassette and chainring are wear parts anyway.

A new future bike may have a different cassette body (MS, xD), and the chainring may not work on future crank. but with some luck you can use tis crank on the new bike.

I'd just get what you like and want to afford now. But the above ide with a 11-speed may be good as well. a Deore 11-51 should do all you want for relatively low cost. I would just price out what 11 speed vs. 12-speed would cost.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Also look into the Microshift Advent X drivetrain.

It’s a wide range 10 speed drivetrain (11-48), and the whole thing can be had for $150 or so.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Another option is previous generation Shimano 1X11. It has almost the same range, and shifts like a shimano. It is compatible with older HG freehubs.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
471 Posts

It’s a wide range 10 speed drivetrain (11-48), and the whole thing can be had for $150 or so.
what he said, i have the regular advent drivetrain on mine and it provides the same (almost!) range as a 1x12/11 with 2/3 less cogs, and the chain is heavier duty. also it works like a charm.

·
monster member
953 Posts
A little lame. Some of us old-timers always thought the 1x crowd were a bunch of dimwits. But, eventually with SRAM having the 1x option, and mfrs wanting short chainstays that clear fat tires with rear suspension 29ers, it became the norm. I'd leave your old bike as it is, or just go to 2x. Old bikes rock... here's mine with 3x7 and v-brakes... I have the $4500 29er in the avatar, but still love getting this 1999 26er out with its v-brakes...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can also pick any 12s drivetrain you like, Shimano or SRAM, and use a cassette from SunRace like this one

·
Registered
52 Posts
As others have said, if you have a 8 or 9x now, you most likely have a HG (Shimano HypeGlide)compatible free-hub and can fit a HG 10, 11 or 12 speed cassette. The compromise is that due to the physical diameter of the HG freehub, the small cog cannot be smaller than 11T. So Microdrive and xD cassettes do 10-50T or 10-51 etc, but HG do 11-xx.
  • All 1x12 Shimano cassettes are MicroSpline, so if you want to go Shimano, you either need to lower expectations to a 1x11 or use a Sunrace 1x12 cassette with Shimano Shifter/Derailleur. Or get a new hub. Many companies do this to make use of their HG hub wheels while appearing "Fresh". e.g. Marin does that with some sub $1500 bike. The 11-xx cassette is a give-away.
  • The whole concept of the SX/NX eagle from Sram is that - HG compatibility for OEMs. Again, the 11-50 cassette is a give-away.
  • The Shimano M5100 is the latest 1x11 Shimano offers for the HG hub. 11-51T Cassette = practically the same range as the Shimano 1x12s.
  • Shimano M4100 is also HG compatible, but 1x10. So is Advent X from Microshift. The latter gets good press and is pushed as "cheap alternative", but tbh, if you won't be buying from a LBS, you can get M4100 and M5100 for very competitive $, and I would stick with Shimano.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,878 Posts
I wouldn't bother with 12spd for that particular bike. Lots of nicer wide range 1x drivetrains available in the 9-11spd range from companies like Box, Microshift, Shimano at some pretty affordable prices. Box makes some pretty chichi 1x9 stuff, too, but I wouldn't do anything that involved spending more than about $200 for that bike all in.

Then, the operative part of keeping your drivetrain in tip top shape is detailed install and reasonable maintenance. Don't use bargain basement cables and housing. Get better stuff. Make sure any cut ends of the housing have nice, smooth, square cuts before you install the ferrules and put it on the bike. Make sure the routing is clean and smooth with no sharp bends and is neither too long nor too short. Don't lay your bike down on the derailleur. Be careful when riding through brushy areas with sticks and junk that could snag a derailleur. Keep a spare derailleur hanger around, and if your shifting seems off, check the alignment of the hanger you have when you are checking adjustments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since your bike isn't really worth it, because it's old and entry level.
I would suggest keeping the cost as low as possible with a 1x11.

First, your current crankset has riveted chainrings, so you need a new crank set.
You can buy either a crankset for 4 square tapered bb's, or a whole new set with a 24mm axle.

Next, you are lucky that you bike has a real freehub body, so upgrading to any 1x drivetrain is easy.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a Deore 1x11 with a 11-46 Sunrace cassette.
A cheap Shimano crankset with a 104mm bcd standard and a cheap 104bcd 7$ Dekas chainring from china.
Those Dekas chainrings are very good value. They are light, cheap and last as long as any more expensive chainrings you can find from other brands.
I wouldn't worry about the cost of drivetrain vs. bike cost. You can move the drivetrain to a future bike. Chain, cassette and chainring are wear parts anyway.

A new future bike may have a different cassette body (MS, xD), and the chainring may not work on future crank. but with some luck you can use tis crank on the new bike.

I'd just get what you like and want to afford now. But the above ide with a 11-speed may be good as well. a Deore 11-51 should do all you want for relatively low cost. I would just price out what 11 speed vs. 12-speed would cost.

As others have said, if you have a 8 or 9x now, you most likely have a HG (Shimano HypeGlide)compatible free-hub and can fit a HG 10, 11 or 12 speed cassette. The compromise is that due to the physical diameter of the HG freehub, the small cog cannot be smaller than 11T. So Microdrive and xD cassettes do 10-50T or 10-51 etc, but HG do 11-xx.
  • All 1x12 Shimano cassettes are MicroSpline, so if you want to go Shimano, you either need to lower expectations to a 1x11 or use a Sunrace 1x12 cassette with Shimano Shifter/Derailleur. Or get a new hub. Many companies do this to make use of their HG hub wheels while appearing "Fresh". e.g. Marin does that with some sub $1500 bike. The 11-xx cassette is a give-away.
  • The whole concept of the SX/NX eagle from Sram is that - HG compatibility for OEMs. Again, the 11-50 cassette is a give-away.
  • The Shimano M5100 is the latest 1x11 Shimano offers for the HG hub. 11-51T Cassette = practically the same range as the Shimano 1x12s.
  • Shimano M4100 is also HG compatible, but 1x10. So is Advent X from Microshift. The latter gets good press and is pushed as "cheap alternative", but tbh, if you won't be buying from a LBS, you can get M4100 and M5100 for very competitive $, and I would stick with Shimano.
I wouldn't bother with 12spd for that particular bike. Lots of nicer wide range 1x drivetrains available in the 9-11spd range from companies like Box, Microshift, Shimano at some pretty affordable prices. Box makes some pretty chichi 1x9 stuff, too, but I wouldn't do anything that involved spending more than about $200 for that bike all in.

Then, the operative part of keeping your drivetrain in tip top shape is detailed install and reasonable maintenance. Don't use bargain basement cables and housing. Get better stuff. Make sure any cut ends of the housing have nice, smooth, square cuts before you install the ferrules and put it on the bike. Make sure the routing is clean and smooth with no sharp bends and is neither too long nor too short. Don't lay your bike down on the derailleur. Be careful when riding through brushy areas with sticks and junk that could snag a derailleur. Keep a spare derailleur hanger around, and if your shifting seems off, check the alignment of the hanger you have when you are checking adjustments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, thank you for all your advices. I already made a choice based on your opinions.
So, I decided to go with the new Shimano Deore M5100 1x11 that I found on eBay (Shimano Deore derauiller and shifter with a Chinese Cassete, Chain and Chainring). Well, I wasnt so sure about buying "Shimano" or "Sram" stuff from eBbay or Aliexpress. But after some research and some positive reviews I decided to just go for it and risk it for the lower price. After ordering it, the Seller sent me a message saying the last item was sold. So, he asked me if he could replace the 11s (M5100) Kit with the 12s (M6100) kit, without any additional price.
Not gonna lie, I found it really sketchy. But the seller had some nice reviews and alot of sells already, and his price difference between M5100 and M6100 wasnt to much.
I Also ordered some cheap crankset that I found on Aliexpress. I will link all the items bellow, tell me what you guys think and if something is missing.

I had the option to buy components from my local shops, here in Portugal. But I think the prices, atlist Drivetrain Components, are just not worth it at all.
I really liked the Drivetrains from Microshift but its just impossible to find it available, its out of stock everywhere.

"Shimano Deore M5100 11s" (What I bought but was out of stock) SHIMANO Deore Group M5100 11s groupset 11 Speed Big Cassette KIT Replace M7000 | eBay

I wasnt able to find the M6100 12s KIT anymore (from this seller). But its basicly the same thing but with the m6100 shifter and derauiller and zRACE 50T (works with HG BODY) Cassete and 34T Chainring.

Crankset: R$153.88 12% de desconto|Prowheel 104bcd mountain bike pedaleira da liga de alumínio com suporte inferior bb mtb bicicleta manivela acessórios 170mm 175mm|Correia da bicicleta| - AliExpress

I will give updates later, when everything arrives.
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would be concerned about the cassette and chain. Those are the components that affect the shifting most. Chain is also the most likely to fail, and good reliable chains are cheap.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey guys, thank you for all your advices. I already made a choice based on your opinions.
So, I decided to go with the new Shimano Deore M5100 1x11 that I found on eBay (Shimano Deore derauiller and shifter with a Chinese Cassete, Chain and Chainring). Well, I wasnt so sure about buying "Shimano" or "Sram" stuff from eBbay or Aliexpress. But after some research and some positive reviews I decided to just go for it and risk it for the lower price. After ordering it, the Seller sent me a message saying the last item was sold. So, he asked me if he could replace the 11s (M5100) Kit with the 12s (M6100) kit, without any additional price.
Not gonna lie, I found it really sketchy. But the seller had some nice reviews and alot of sells already, and his price difference between M5100 and M6100 wasnt to much.
I Also ordered some cheap crankset that I found on Aliexpress. I will link all the items bellow, tell me what you guys think and if something is missing.

I had the option to buy components from my local shops, here in Portugal. But I think the prices, atlist Drivetrain Components, are just not worth it at all.
I really liked the Drivetrains from Microshift but its just impossible to find it available, its out of stock everywhere.

"Shimano Deore M5100 11s" (What I bought but was out of stock) SHIMANO Deore Group M5100 11s groupset 11 Speed Big Cassette KIT Replace M7000 | eBay

I wasnt able to find the M6100 12s KIT anymore (from this seller). But its basicly the same thing but with the m6100 shifter and derauiller and zRACE 50T (works with HG BODY) Cassete and 34T Chainring.

Crankset: R$153.88 12% de desconto|Prowheel 104bcd mountain bike pedaleira da liga de alumínio com suporte inferior bb mtb bicicleta manivela acessórios 170mm 175mm|Correia da bicicleta| - AliExpress

I will give updates later, when everything arrives.
Thank you,
If the cassette and chain turn out to be not good, than you always replace it later with a Sunrace cassette and Shimano, or Sram chain.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,878 Posts
I would be concerned about the cassette and chain. Those are the components that affect the shifting most. Chain is also the most likely to fail, and good reliable chains are cheap.
Agreed. With the way the 12spd stuff has been panning out, I'd buy a drivetrain with a MINIMUM of mix-and-match, and definitely be avoiding a bunch of the chinese no-name stuff.

I've seen at least one case reported on mtbr of a manufacturer claiming compatibility with shimano 12spd that was very much not the case. And plenty of reports of poor shifting performance from aftermarket companies (the cheaper the stuff, the worse the reports, it seems).

·
Registered
182 Posts
One thing that I will add is that a 1x12 is a great way to find a misaligned derailleur hanger. Usually step 1 I do when installing a 1x12 is to align the hanger, which is why I would almost always suggest a wide range 1x9 or a 1x10 for a novice mechanic to upgrade an old 2x or 3x setup if they don't really need the close spacing of a 1x12. A straight edge against the flats of the hanger and ruler to measure the distance to the rim can give you a somewhat crude but quick check (turning the wheel so you measure the distance to a common point on the rim like the valve stem). If you are pushing the envelope trying to beat personal best times and need optimal pedal cadence and efficiency then absolutely 1x12 is the way to go. I think for most people and easier to maintain, setup, and adjust wide range 1x9 or 1x10 setup would be a better alternative.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,878 Posts
One thing that I will add is that a 1x12 is a great way to find a misaligned derailleur hanger.
Definitely. When I installed mine, everything worked great at first. I started having some sloppy shifts after a few hundred miles and tracked it down to the hanger. It was off by an amount that probably wouldn't have mattered on a 9 or 10spd drivetrain. But it was definitely the problem. Everything was back to working great after I tweaked the hanger back with a hanger alignment tool. Pretty sure the kludge method you described wouldn't have been good enough to identify my bent hanger.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
...I'd buy a drivetrain with a MINIMUM of mix-and-match, and definitely be avoiding a bunch of the chinese no-name stuff.
Good rule of thumb.

Interestingly though, OEMs are doing a lot more a-la-carte now, so there are known mashups to copy.

Surly Krampus 12-speed for example:
-- Deore XT Shifter/Derailleur
-- Deore Crankset
-- Sunrace Cassette for HG Freehub
-- KMC Chain
-- Tektro Brakes

·
since 4/10/2009
30,878 Posts
Good rule of thumb.

Interestingly though, OEMs are doing a lot more a-la-carte now, so there are known mashups to copy.

Surly Krampus 12-speed for example:
-- Deore XT Shifter/Derailleur
-- Deore Crankset
-- Sunrace Cassette for HG Freehub
-- KMC Chain
-- Tektro Brakes

Well, it appears as though all the bits they did choose are at least labeled as HG+ compatible. At first the KMC chain got me and I was really irritated at surly based on the specs here:

BUT, it appears that this chain has had some revisions as KMC has another page with the black/nickel color and labels it as HG+ compatible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts