Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered new Mavic wheels the other day...

And? One thing lead to another. I noticed the wheels I got supports 12 speed and so decided to convert to the 1x12 modern format. I've seen people convert these 90s SuperVs to 1x12, but never thought about the bottom bracket change that would have occurred. In fact? I know nothing about bottom brackets.
I ended up ordering an SRAM NX 12 speed cassette, bought the SRAM GX shift lever (12 speed) and then I mindlessly purchased a Truvativ Stylo 6K Eagle BB30 Crankset 32T 170mm. It didn't even occur to me what the "BB30" meant...until I came a cross another site selling the same product, except worded as "Truvativ Stylo 6K Eagle BB30 (not included) Crankset 32T 170mm." Of course, I said, "oh, sh--" and looked it. From there I ended up on a never ending paper trail of many different bracket types. So now I am even more confused than where I was two days earlier.

Eventually, I thought, "Let's simplify this and just look up what my bike uses...easy, right? Has to be!" Nope...everyone has different measurements for whatever their BB-UN52 is. I've seen people state their Super V's use a BB-UN52 68mmx107mm, 68mmx110, 73x110 etc. What's worse? There's apparently squared, tapered, hollowtech and much more...and hen there's threaded and pressfit. Unfortunatley, in all the forums in the wide, wide world...nobody has boterhed to mention whether their Super Vs were pressfit, threaded, or if they were squared, tapered, hollowtech(?)...

In the end all I know is the BB30 seems to be pressfit and is shorter than my Super V bracket...and that's whether my bracket is 68x107, 68x110, 73x110...At this point I'm just trying to figure out what works with the BB30 crank I wound up with. I mean, I know what works and what works is an SRAM BB30 bottom bracket, but the ones I've looked up are only 97mm in length. Would that mean it would not come out far enough? Are there adaptors?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is your current bottom bracket a square taper? You could take a crank arm off and see if there's a square peg sticking out that the crank arm bolts to. Then you measure the width of the bottom bracket, likely either 68 or 73mm wide. If your frame is threaded and it either uses a threaded bottom bracket or a square taper, then a BB30 crankset will not work. You would need a GXP crankset and a GXP BSA bottom bracket, then follow SRAM's instructions on which spacers you may need based on your BB shell width. I don't actually know what BB your bike has, but it looks from searching that a 68mm threaded square taper is most likely.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You have a threaded bottom bracket shell.

You need a GXP crankset and a GXP threaded bottom bracket. Easiest solution is to return the bb30 crankset and exchange for GXP version.

You can make your bb30 crankset work with a bsa30 bottom bracket.
https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/rotor/road/bottom-brackets/bsa-30-steel.html

You'll need to buy some different sized spacers though, which you might be able to figure out by googling but probably easiest to just figure it out yourself when you get the stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a threaded bottom bracket shell.

You need a GXP crankset and a GXP threaded bottom bracket. Easiest solution is to return the bb30 crankset and exchange for GXP version.

You can make your bb30 crankset work with a bsa30 bottom bracket.
https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/rotor/road/bottom-brackets/bsa-30-steel.html

You'll need to buy some different sized spacers though, which you might be able to figure out by googling but probably easiest to just figure it out yourself when you get the stuff.
Thanks! Yeah I was simultaneously just doing some research, based on the discovered knowledge that I might be threaded. It seems you can also get the DUB BSA (threaded), and a DUB crankset?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I reckon with 99% certainty that your bike has a BSA threaded bottom bracket shell - either 68 or 73mm, which does not really make a difference.

So you need a BB that fits that shell. If you want to use the crank you already have, there are BB30-BSA bottom brackets out there - E13 used to make them and variety of other brands do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.