Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I love my 2010 Specialized Comp Carbon 29er and I'm looking to keep her for another 4 or 5 years but I'd like to upgrade a few things to keep her fresh. Was thinking of converting her to 1x11.

Do you know if my rear hub will allow it? It says it's a Custom DT Swiss 330SL w/ alloy freehub, QR, 32h

Here's all the specs on the bike if it helps. Thanks!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-expert-carbon-29/p/23063

By the way, I'm open to 1x12 if getting a new hub isn't all that cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You can easily convert to 1x11 or 1x12 without changing the hub. Just make sure you use a cassette that does not require an XD driver but uses a Shimano HG driver (which is what you currently have).

·
Turns right, slides left
740 Posts
Hey everyone,
I love my 2010 Specialized Comp Carbon 29er and I'm looking to keep her for another 4 or 5 years but I'd like to upgrade a few things to keep her fresh. Was thinking of converting her to 1x11.

Do you know if my rear hub will allow it? It says it's a Custom DT Swiss 330SL w/ alloy freehub, QR, 32h

Here's all the specs on the bike if it helps. Thanks!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-expert-carbon-29/p/23063

By the way, I'm open to 1x12 if getting a new hub isn't all that cost prohibitive.
The Shimano 11 speed cassettes will fit your hub. A 12 speed conversion involves a different free hub. I'm not sure that would fit your hub. Other than that, the entire 11/12 speed upgrade is an easy conversion on your bike. If you are keeping the cranks, you will need a 64 or 104 BCD chain ring. The 64 fits on the inner position and the 104 on the outer position. Depending on the size of a chain ring you want to run, the inner position on those cranks might give you a better chain line.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did pretty much the same conversion to 1x11 from 2x10 for my 2013 Epic Comp, just had to check that new cassette fits the hub and new cranks fit the existing BB, decided not replacing it since it was in a pretty good shape.
Ended up with SRAM GX drivetrain, it has been 2 years, and still feels pretty good, so I'm very happy with conversion's results.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The Shimano 11 speed cassettes will fit your hub. A 12 speed conversion involves a different free hub. I'm not sure that would fit your hub. Other than that, the entire 11/12 speed upgrade is an easy conversion on your bike. If you are keeping the cranks, you will need a 64 or 104 BCD chain ring. The 64 fits on the inner position and the 104 on the outer position. Depending on the size of a chain ring you want to run, the inner position on those cranks might give you a better chain line.
Remember that there's also a SRAM NX 12 speed cassette for Shimano HG.
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/sram-pg-1230-nx-eagle-cassette-11-50-12-speed

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
How do you like 1x11 vs 2x10? On hills?
It comes down to the resulting gear ratio. The low gear 2x10 ratio for a 24t/36t combo is similar to a 1x11 ratio for a 30t/46t combo so in this case the result is the same for climbing hills. But now you have the flexibility to go with a smaller chainring if you want to reduce the gear ratio further. A 2x10 top gear will be higher which is not a priority for trail riding where gravity rules. So a 1x set-up is simpler, lighter, and flexible. https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

·
Registered
259 Posts
In my experience, a 1x11 is noticeably better than a 1x10. However, a 1x12 has a negligible improvement vs the 1x11. Someone on some forum somewhere had actually crunched the numbers on gearing and found the 1x11 setup was slightly more efficient than the 1x12 throughout the entire gear range. I, however, am talking about seat-of-the-pants testing, and considering the gears you use the most often. Yes, there are people that want a 10-50 range, but honestly I've never had the need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.