Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I have just put new parts on old Cannondale Trail 5 from 2014, converted from 3x9 to 1x11. At first I just shaped rear derailleur and got a new chain, and honestly, bike was working nice. Then I got this idea to go 1x11, got all the parts and something doesn't add up, at least I think.

Chain was measured as per instructions, biggest cog + 4 links and quick link, it came exactly 116 links, so I did not cutvthe chain, but this rear derailleur looks funny. Below are some pictures "out of the box" and with b screw unscrewed almost till the end, but not sure if this is ok.

Top jockey wheel seems too far from the cassette, still. And additionally, there is some grinding noise from crankset, new crankset and new bottom bracket. All parts are deore 5100, 11-51 cassette, 30T chain ring in front, BB52 bottom bracket, HG-601 11S chain... Any help? :)

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
On the newer stuff, the chain length plays an important role in regards to setting the derailleur's top pulley in the correct spot.

There should be a line embossed with a number on the opposite side of the derailleur, on the cage (near the top). If you cannot get it just lined up with the largest sprocket teeth by using the 'b'-screw, then the chain length may not be correct (else, something else strange, like a direct mount hanger, may be going on).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chain length is 100% as per instructions, 4 links + quick link. At first I was happy, like Chain out of the box is exact length. But might be not... 😒 or my derailleur hanger is issue. I have removed B screw completely and it's a bit better. Maybe I'll try to remove, put on the side, that part on derailleur that comes between hanger and B screw?

Regarding crankset, spins freely and without noise without chain. I think actually pedal might be vibrating and cousin that sound...

And picture from the back, this is max that derailleur would come close to 51 cog.

Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle chain Bicycle part
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Advice? Chain I can't extent, only to buy new one...

Anyway, for example, I got new hanger from newer Cannondale, that is just a bit shorter, and did help a bit. Derailleur is closer to the cassette, though B screw is still all way out. I guess it all depends on the bike, as found another thread where guy had opposite problem, B screw in all the way and Derailleur hits biggest cog... migh help someone maybe now.

Anyhow, I am planning to upgrade front chain ring to 32 or 34, and then definitely get longer chain and play around.

Sleeve Bag Collar Font Denim
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just throwing my theory into the mix as not sure. Could the hanger be 'standard', requiring a b-link derailleur and not the direct mount type? 🤔
Not sure about that, hanger was standard, it's older Cannondale Trail 5, 2014. Yesterday I replaced hanger from 2020 year Cannondale that is a bit shorter and that brought derailleur closer to the cassette, seems just enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you check the spacing of the BB? You need to match the amount of washers depending to the BB shell width.
Yes, 73mm, so one spacer on drive side. Which I'm thinking of moving to non drive side to bring chain line a bit better. Just now "learning" about that... not ot sits at 52mm. In my time it was 3x9 only, and I'm ain't so old. 😆

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure about that, hanger was standard, it's older Cannondale Trail 5, 2014. Yesterday I replaced hanger from 2020 year Cannondale that is a bit shorter and that brought derailleur closer to the cassette, seems just enough.
He means a B link as part of the derailleur. It's screws onto the direct mount post and is a part of the derailleur, not the frame or hanger. My SLX m7000 I just installed has one.
Headgear Art Graffiti Personal protective equipment Hat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.