Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Scott spark 730. Looking to get into a 1x 11 setup installed but looking g for some advice first. I'm not sure what size chain ring to get first of all.. I've heard that the 28t ring is quite a bit more efficient than the others.. if I go that route is there anything in particular I should look out for? Is the chain drop issue worked out on the Shimano XT groupset? That's the groupset I've been looking at.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Xt group set is great. I have nvr had an issue with it..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
What would determine whether I need the long cage or medium cage?
Medium cage is what I am using with 11-46.
Shifts great and medium will shifter quicker and be less prone to smacking a rock or something..

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Modern medium 1x shifters can handle 11-42.

Go 32t Oval up front ;-]

Your legs will love you for it ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Curious to where you got a 'medium' shifter?....
It's a bit shorter than a full shifter :J/A:

Dam autocorrect!

Bug in my eye!

Bloody kids!

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'm in the middle of that conversion on one bike myself. Not much of a conversion: I'm only keeping my crank arms.

I chose a different chain ring for another bike that came out of the box 1x11. It's not that hard if you're conversant in gear ratios. I'm medium-comfortable with gear inches but if you're only interested in one wheel size, dividing the chain ring tooth count by the cog tooth count tells you everything you need to know.

So run a gear chart for your old drivetrain. Now, in real life, which gears do you get the most use out of? For me it's been my granny, with the top few ratios pretty much being decoration. So I chose a chain ring that gave me the same lowest gear ratio. That's worked out pretty well, although I find I'm in my highest gear somewhat frequently now, with the narrower range I get from a 11-42 cassette and single ring. That hasn't really been a problem, although I can see how if I was more competitive in enduro, I might want a wider range so I could raise my highest ratio a bit.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts