Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating on going to a 1X10 for this year, but I am not so sure about total usability? I would probably end up using a 32 tooth front ring and when I did the math the high and low gearing would look like this...

32/11 = 2.91
32/36 = .89

I am not overly familiar with gearing and what is considered to be really usable. The bike it will be used on is a light weight 26" wheeled hardtail and should weigh in the range of 22lbs.Ok, so now my question for you is this: is the .89 gearing not really light enough to get up the steeps? I now it is really a subjective question, but just wanted to throw it out there. I REALLY love the simplicity of the 1X10 concept, so any information you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
It really depends on where you live and what you ride. I can get away with a 36/36 low gear, so in my opinion, yes 32/36 is definitely a reasonable gear.

The best way to figure out what chainring size is right for you is to just get a chainguide and a couple different chainring sizes, and experiment with what works for you. You'll probably have to change your riding style up a little bit, but the simplicity and weight savings are worth it!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I would start with a 32 and go from there. I have ridden with a 32 front with a 11/34 9spd rear cassette for over a year now and been very happy. The terrain I ride on goes from fairly flat to some fairly steep mountains. Just the way it is in Virginia (we have it all).

If your used to riding on a SS, you should have no problems pushing a bit bigger gears. You may quickly find yourself wanting a 34 or 36 front ring. I will have to say though, I rarely run out of gear even on the road with my 32-11 combo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have ridden a 36t chainring for a couple years and a 1:1 has always been enough to get up most hills. The big gear can be the issue if you run too small of a chainring, going downhill and the flats might not be as enjoyable.
I am went with a xx crank last fall and cannot stand the small ring, 26 is far too small, there so I will be going back to the 1x10 asap, just need a new crank so I have chainring options. But right now I have a 39/26 up front and a 11-28 in the back and I will not loose much for an easy gear with a 36t front and a 11-36 cassette, nor will I loose much of a big gear. And no more small ring with that really tourquey feeling when you pedal, that kind of sucks.
Have used and MRP chainguide for a couple years with good results only tossed chain a couple times and it is ok to get it back on. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.