Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Something goes here...
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding 2x9 friction shifters for over 2 years now. They've served their purposed and I'm moving up to a 1x10 brifter set up. I'm just curious what chain ring others are running up front? The cassette is 11-48, mostly flat-ish trails with climbing occasionally. I'm think 38T might hit the sweet spot but then again, I may spin out too quickly on the flats.

So what are you 1x10 riders riding?

·
Registered
161 Posts
What brifters are you using? 11-48 seems like it might not fit most set-ups? I run a 11-46 with a wolf tooth roadlink to extend the derailleur range and its not the smoothest thing out there. I am probably changing back to an 11-42 cassette soon. I run a 42t chanring with my 11-46.. probably go down to a 40t if I go back to the 11-42cassette.

I'm on a Sram Rival setup right now btw.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's going to depend on a lot of factors, which chainring you want. Intended use, tire size, max cadence, etc. For my gravel bike, I use it mostly for dirt roads, some light low elevation trails, and only ride pavement to get to the next road/trail. It use a 38t chainring with a 10-42t cassette and 29x2.1 tires. I have not found a situation where I'd want higher or lower gearing for the riding I do.

·
Something goes here...
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up the Microshift brifters, derailleur and cassette. It should work fine. I had a hard time finding anything in stock (haven't we all) and I wanted to see how the new Microshift Advent X series is. It's gotten good reviews and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the other 2 big boys. I really wanted Shimano GRX but for double the cost, it was hard to justify since the friction shifters have worked well so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I picked up the Microshift brifters, derailleur and cassette. It should work fine. I had a hard time finding anything in stock (haven't we all) and I wanted to see how the new Microshift Advent X series is. It's gotten good reviews and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the other 2 big boys. I really wanted Shimano GRX but for double the cost, it was hard to justify since the friction shifters have worked well so far.
Looks like a nice setup. So the question is really around how hilly your area is, and what kind of shenanigans you want to get up to with your gravel bike. at an 11-48t I would looks at something around 42-44t. This will give you some decent ratio for climbing, and you can ride up to a reasonable 30-35mph at about 90rpm.

you can play with the different ratio's here: http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=DERS&KB=22

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I feel like this is way too personal of a question to answer. I don't know your local terrain, your strength, length of rides, etc. I would use the gear calculator compare current to future setup, and go from there.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I feel like this is way too personal of a question to answer. I don't know your local terrain, your strength, length of rides, etc. I would use the gear calculator compare current to future setup, and go from there.
I think I gave same suggestion and this link to same person in another forum. This one lets you compare setups.
Bike Gears calculatorhttp://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I've been riding 2x9 friction shifters for over 2 years now. They've served their purposed and I'm moving up to a 1x10 brifter set up. I'm just curious what chain ring others are running up front? The cassette is 11-48, mostly flat-ish trails with climbing occasionally. I'm think 38T might hit the sweet spot but then again, I may spin out too quickly on the flats.

So what are you 1x10 riders riding?
10 spd microshift advent and i have used a 38 or a 40T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.