Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoying life
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm building up a 1x10 air9 and I need some input on derailleur choice.
I'll be running a 32 front ring with either a 11-32, or 11-36 10sp cass.
Do you think a short cage would work with the 11-36?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes. The only advantage of the med-cage is if the future you want to move to a double setup, you wouldn't have to get a new rear der. Get the 11-36 cassette if there are anything resembling hills near you. I have a 9sp 32t front ring with 11/34 rear on my Jet9 and wouldn't mind a slightly lower gear to bail to at times. It will also give you the option to go to a 34t front if the 32 feels too easy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm doing a 1x10 setup on my Jet 9 too, and I was thinking short cage is the way to go ... have you heard any negatives relating to short cage, other than it won't work if switching to a 2x10?

Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm running a 34T up front and 11-34 in the back with a Sram X9 short cage. Shifts great.

1x9, 1x10, etc. formula is largest cog on the cassette minus the smallest cog. In your case, 36-11=25.
Your derailleur only needs to have a 25 tooth capacity. Sram short-cage can handle up to 30. Shimano med cage can handle up to 33.

Get on...

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
im going 1x10, but was thinking medium X0 ( purely as i already have one....) rather than short because, it will allow the extra chain slack from changing between the 34 and 36t chainrings im gonna use this year....

·
Registered
527 Posts
amishscum said:
I'm running a 34T up front and 11-34 in the back with a Sram X9 short cage. Shifts great.

1x9, 1x10, etc. formula is largest cog on the cassette minus the smallest cog. In your case, 36-11=25.
Your derailleur only needs to have a 25 tooth capacity. Sram short-cage can handle up to 30. Shimano med cage can handle up to 33.

Get on...
Any limit to the front ring size with a short cage? I'm assuming shifting in the rear should be smoother/crisper with short cage versus medium or long ... is that right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.