Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 fuel ex8, which I want to convert to 1x10. It's currently a 3x10 with what I believe to be a mid cage shimano xt shadow rear derailleur (which has a clutch mech, right)?

My question: If i get a race face narrow wide chainring, will i still need some type of chain retention device, or will it suffice on its own?

If not, what would you recommend for a chain guide (preferably something not too pricey).

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Shadow + has a clutch. It's obvious if it has a clutch, take a look.
NW chainring with a clutch should be pretty well bullet proof.
On a hardtail most people seem to find it works even without a clutch derailleur. Depends on the terrain you ride, fast rocky descents with a rear suspension are worst case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it out and it's actually a long-cage. Do you think I'd still be able to get away with it? I ride some really nasty stuff sometimes and have dropped the chain onle once with the 3x setup (my mistake, left it in small on a descent), so I can't really see why I would drop more with a shortened chain and chainguide.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you end up needing a chain guide, try the bionicon c-guide. You can get either the metal one(50$) or the plastic one (25$). I have the plastic one and it holds up pretty good and picks up the slack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts