Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I will be ordering a Spitfire and have 2 questions.

1x10
Plan to install the following parts:

- 2011 Race Face Atlas Turbine SL triple / only using SINGLE chainring
- 2011 Race Face Race 32T / 4 bolt
- MRP 1x chain-guide

- 2011 SRAM X9 - 10 speed shifter / right
- 2011 SRAM X0 RD / medium cage - 10 speed
- 2011 SRAM X0 XG 1080 - 10 speed - 11/36
- 2011 SRAM PC 1091 R chain
- Formula RX or Saint brakes 180 / 160

Based on your experience, will this combination of components work well?
What do I need to be aware of?
Will there be any trouble if I combine Race Face and SRAM?

Size Guide

As I am only 5'.6" (170 cm) - 158 pounds (72 kg)
Based on Banshee's website - Size guideline, I am between size S and M.
Will be used for light DH / Combination of rock garden, roots and 20% uphill / Long single-track rides some with moderate amount of twists, technical terrain.

FYI, I will be using a 2010 Fox 32 Talas 150 mm tappered and stock shocks which comes with the bike (RP23, if I am not wrong).

Your suggestions and comments are highly appreciated.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
I am planning to switch my Spitty over to 1x10 also, but I am planning on Shimano stuff, RF cranks and ring, and E13 chain guide. I have studied the 1x10 stuff quite a bit and your list looks good to me, but I don't have any hands on experience.

As far as sizing goes, I am 5'7" on a medium with 50mm stem and 745mm bars. I would say I am average proportion for my height, not long legs or torso. I am very happy with the set-up for all the rides that I have had it on, and I have done everything from 50+ mile days to light freeride. However, if I were going to do huge miles with extended climbs I think I would try my 70mm stem on it. So, I guess if you were using it for a trail bike I would definitely say medium, but since you will be using it for more downhillish stuff maybe take a look at the small.

150mm fork should work great, but you won't need TALAS in my opinion.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Shouldn't be any trouble with any of that working together.

Worst issue may be having to fiddle with some spacers here and there to get the chainline and MRP guide all happy and playing nicely together.

Though get the short cage. If you're only running a single ring, there is no need for the medium. If you find you need more than the MRP guide in the long run, swap it for the Lopes guide with a lower roller, or add a Blackspire Stinger with a single ring roller.

Size-wise: I'm 3" taller than you, average arms/legs/torso running a size small with a 60mm stem, a 29" wide bar, and a non-set-back post. Very comfy.

I'd not go for the Talas either, unless you are doing tons of long climbs.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
From my reading I had thought I understood it that the manufacturers had managed to quite successfully make it so you had to either use all parts by them or suffer shifting issues. Most especially I thought Shimano and to some extent SRAM had proprietary stuff now with directional chains etc. Even though I have no intention to switch to 10spd anytime in the near future I will follow this with interest to maybe find out if this is all true or not and how stuff plays with each other.

coiler-d said:
I am planning to switch my Spitty over to 1x10 also, but I am planning on Shimano stuff, RF cranks and ring, and E13 chain guide. I have studied the 1x10 stuff quite a bit and your list looks good to me, but I don't have any hands on experience.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sounds like a pretty nice setup. I was thinking about going 1x10 also but primarilly in order to get a decent 11-36 cassette that isn't a brick like the one shimano offers. Or have to pay 350 bucks for one, figured might as well go 1x10 at that point because it's almost the same price. doesn't sound like it's a big deal to go from 34 - 36 but it's nice to have that extra gear on those long drawn out climbs.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Just put this together for my Spitfire. Trails aren't going to be dry around here for a long time, so may as well play in the garage!

One Stinger BB mount guide, one spare slider for an e.13 Freechucker guide, a spare bolt/nut/washer, and we're good to go. Upper guide that lets you run a bashring, and covers the top of the chain as well. Less noisy than the metal stuff out there, sits nice and tight, just takes up the driveside BB spacer. A little Dremel tool trimming and it bolts right up!

I've actually got the BB mount area bits trimmed so a ISCG-05 mount Stinger can be added on to the setup without having to remove the cranks. Will ride it this way, and add the lower bits if this isn't quite enough.

Whole setup seems to work well out around the block, trying to get things to derail and couldn't. Far less money than full on production guides, even if a little less polished and a bit more work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NEW PICS . Final Build Phase 1

Changed my mind and ended up building a "I want a DH" Spitfire setup.

2011 Banshee Spitfire size S / Raw

2010 Fox Talas 150mm tapered

Banshee Munro headset
Renthal Fatbar
Goodridge braided hose
ODI TLD grips
Point1 Split Second 70mm stem

Saint M810 brake-set

SRAM X0 shifter / right / 10 speed
SRAM X0 RD / short / 10 speed
SRAM XG 1080 11/36
SRAM 10 speed chain
MRP G2 SL chainguide

WTB Pure V carbon / titanium rail

Saint M810 1 - 170 crank
Renthal SR4 32T
Point1 pedals

Stans ZTR flow
DT Swiss Super Comp spokes
DT Swiss brass nipples
DT Swiss RWS bolt thru
Stans UST valve stem
Hope Pro 2 hubs
(F) Shwalbe Nobby Nic 2.3
(R) Maxiss Crossmark 2.1

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.