Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking at going 1x10 with a rear
SRAM PG-1030, 11-36T. I currently have a SRAM S1000 GXP 38/24T Crankset.

I am looking at a Race Face single Narrow Wide 36T chainring and am wondering what chainring bolts (or spacers) I would need.

Also, are chain guides/bash guards recommended for 1x10?

Thanks!

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Hi guys,

I am looking at a Race Face single Narrow Wide 36T chainring and am wondering what chainring bolts (or spacers) I would need.

Thanks!
Hi,

For the RaceFace NW chainrings, you simply use standard chainring bolts and nuts, usually the ones from your crankset will do the job length-wise. However, if you go with the 30t chainring (which you are not, but it's a good thing to know), the chainring is already threaded for the chainring bolts, so you just need the bolt and not the nut. It's still a standard chainring bolt thread of M8x0.75.

You can find on RaceFace website a PDF chart that explains which bolts length you should use with their NW chainring depending on your crankset. Look it up, it will answer all of your questions.

As to use a bashguard, it's up to you if you often hit your chainrings on logs or rocks. The chain shouldn't drop using the NW chainring (it hasn't for me on a FS XC bike with non-clutch rd), so the bash wouldn't be much help if you're concerned about the chain drop, a chain guide would be better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I will go ahead and order the NW, was just waiting on info for the bolts. Any recommendation on chain guides? I think I'll skip the bash guard, I haven't needed one yet :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
With the chain on nearly every tooth that may contact your leg... your pretty much protected from the teeth. I would only run a bash if you bang your ring into objects.

I use a chainguide. It is unlikely to drop the chain even in chunky or while plowing through braking bumps with the narrow/wide. But, if you pedal in this situation... you will redirect the chain from the ring and it will drop. I tested this before installing my chainguide. I don't regularly (if ever) pedal backwards through bumps, so, i only went with a top guide. After installing a MRP 1x, i have tried to drop the chain and haven't yet. It is very unlikely at this point. I also ride with a clutchless rear derailleur and the extra 60g is worth the protection and piece of mind.

When going single ring, bolts are usually in the 5-6mm range. My Truvativ bolts are 8.5mm and came with a spacer to reduce the length. Or, a bash guard can take up some of the space as well if you ever decided to run one.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will go ahead and order the NW, was just waiting on info for the bolts. Any recommendation on chain guides? I think I'll skip the bash guard, I haven't needed one yet :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 4
If your current rings thru bolt together, as opposed to having separate spider arms, then you'll need to get some single ring bolts (aka "single speed" bolts) if you don't use a bash to take the place of the removed ring.

As for a guide, depends on your bike style. e13/the hive or MRP have xcx series seat tube clamp mount top guides (and a couple other type mounts for these I think) that will work since you're going with the drop stop ring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i have another question regarding chain guides.

I have a 2014 Jamis Dakota D29.
JAMIS BICYCLES

I was looking at the MRP G2 SL chain guide but I don't think I have either ISCG (old) or ISCG-05 mounting points on my BB. My front derailleur is mounted to the down tube of the seat post and i can't see any other ways that the BB chain guide could be mounted. Am I right? If so, what kind of chain guide type should I be looking at? Ideally I would like a guide on the top and bottom like the G2 SL.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could I use this and still get the G2 SL?

e*thirteen Adapter Plate ISCG-05 to BB

Well that one is only for a 68mm BB and I have a 73mm, so I don't think I can use it.

How about this one?

E.thirteen ISCG'05 Adapter Plate from Bike Bling

The small writing on the picture says: Fits standard (euro), BMX, and Over Sized Bottom Brackets.

Well, that one is for English threaded BB, not Press fit. I guess there isn't a way to use ISCG 05 chain guides on my bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!
What kind of bike are you putting this on as I currently have the exact same set up.. I didn't go with a 36T but opted for the 32T for now.. I DID however order a bash guard as I am always slamming it into rocks.. These will be here on Monday!!

What do you have for a rear derailleur? I currently have a X7 but looking into the X9 type 2 medium cage..

EDIT: Just seen what bike you have

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ordered the MRP G2 SL ISCG 05 just before I realized I couldn't use it and Amazon wouldn't cancel it (even before I received a "Your item has shipped" email). I wanted this type of chain guide since it has both top and bottom guide and at least a little bit of bash guard on the bottom. So I went ahead and opted to keep the guide and ordered one of these today:

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/news/csixx-iscg-adaptor/

I measured my BB shell and it was 44mm diameter so that's the one I picked. The website says they ship internationally, but there was no shipping cost when I checked out so we will see when it arrives.

I know that Clutch makes an ISCG 05 adapter plate for Giant bikes so I emailed them and asked about the diameter. They only make it in a 47mm diameter. So the Csixx adapter seems to be the only only that might work. It might need modification to fit, but I'll make it work somehow :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of bike are you putting this on as I currently have the exact same set up.. I didn't go with a 36T but opted for the 32T for now.. I DID however order a bash guard as I am always slamming it into rocks.. These will be here on Monday!!

What do you have for a rear derailleur? I currently have a X7 but looking into the X9 type 2 medium cage..

EDIT: Just seen what bike you have
I have the X7 too but am looking for a type 2. I thought I saw a X9 with a short cage. Would you pick a medium over a short? Also, are you looking at getting a new shifter too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.