Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have done a search and read up a little and know that this is possible.

I have an existing 2004 Surly 1x1 and absolutely love it but am feeling a little curious about the whole 29'er thing after checking out heaps of pic's on this forum while in lurk mode along with the pic's of Mattman's new Waltworks that he keeps taunting me with via email.

Basically I cannot afford to buy myself another bike (divorce is costly) so I am thinking about just building up a set of wheels for the 1x1.

My only concern is what the rear tyre clearance will be. Looking at the pictures that I have seen there is a reasonable amount of clearance in the front but I am yet to find any decent pictures of the rear.

I will be running discs so brake setup is not an issue.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
There's room enough for a 3" Gazzi in the rear, and those measure 29" if not more when inflated. GO for it! Like you said, its a cheap way into the niner game. Be forwarned though, your BB will be higher, and some here will pan this whole idea. I think you'll be fine though. Do it and enjoy the ride. If there isn't enough room for a Nano or other such true 29" rubber, one the the german 28" tires(schwalbe, Conti) will fit for sure.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
TR said:
The BB cant be higher than if I was using the Gazzi though?!?!?
So I cannot see that as being a problem.
Give it a go - on my conversion I don't even notice the higher BB. You can always give me the 29er wheels if it doesn't work out.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pbasinger said:
I've been riding the 1x1 with 29 in wheels for the past few months. Clearance on the fork is tight, but there is plenty of room on the rear. Fits an exiwolf fine.
Do you have any pictures of it in that setup??

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Superb pictures, Pete!

Wow, it looks like if you had a different gearing, you could get away with using a more forward placed rear wheel.

If people wouldn't know, they'd think the bike was a dedicated 29"er.
Perhaps now with the Km being so popular, the 1x1 resale value isn't going to drop too much afterall... Man, a 20" or 22" 1x1 would make a killer fat tired road bike! 2.35's might rub though.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pic's.
That does look like it will work OK.
What size is that frame??
I am riding a 20" myself so hopefully that should work.
What size are those tyres??

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
One part at a time

TR said:
OK
Basically I cannot afford to buy myself another bike (divorce is costly) so I am thinking about just building up a set of wheels for the 1x1.
I'm guessing if the tires/wheels get bigger one day, your wife will never notice. Then a few months later the frame could get bigger and she would still not notice. Parts come and parts go and you have a whole new bike and no divorce. Just don't do anything dumb like change the color.........that she would notice. You may even want to stick with a Surly so the name stays the same, just scrape off the karate monkey decals, because it's a cute name and cute is bound to be noticed :D

Big wheels on the 1x1 are the first step, I hope it works out well.
I think pbasinger's bike looks cool!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Wish you had posted this a few weeks ago...

Or maybe I should have done more research like you are doing.

Read this post at 3 PM today, and by 6 PM was out on the trails on my newly modified 29er 1x1. Rode surprisingly well - I didn't really notice much ill effect on the geometry. I kind of like the higher BB as I usually have some pedal strikes with the 26" 1x1 setup.

Tire clearance was about as shown in the other pictures in this post, so I won't bother to post the ones I took. I am running 2.1 Mythos tires and am a little surprised that the other poster said Exi's would fit. Guess the Exi's are wider, but not necessarily taller - which is where clearance would be an issue.

So now that I have a 29er solution with my old 1x1, I have to get rid of that Rig frame I just bought from the classifieds a few weeks back. Probably should have though to try a 29er wheel in the 1x1 first (or at least ask on this forum!). :p Live and learn, I guess...

Attachments

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it looks like I will be buying some rims, hubs and spokes soon.
Matt I might have to get you to send me them one part at a time over the next 136 months and Sandie will never know. :D

No seriously I am thinking I might give this a go. Only problem from this end is that 29'er wheels, tyres etc are a non event so I will probably have to source most of my parts from the US.

I hear that Velocity makes a half decent rim that can be used for off road duties so maybe I will look at sourcing them locally but then again I can probably get rims from the US cheaper even factoring in freight.

What to do, what to do???? :confused:

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else think these 29er 1x1's look really nice?

This is all very interesting...

Yet another reason to love Surly!

Could the 14" 1x1 be a good 29"er frame option for the vertically challenged amoung us (my wife included)?

LP

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I have sucked it up and am ready to be flamed for such a stupid question so here goes.

Can someone tell me what the difference (other than weight) would be between running 26" rims with 2.5" tyres vs running a 700cc wheel with say 2.1" tyres. In my teeny tiny little mind all I can see is that there will be a .5" difference in outer diameter at most.

Sorry if this is an obviously dumb question but I do not have the option of just dropping down to a LBS and grabbing a cheap set of wheels and tyres to find out for myself. This is Australia and 29'ers are scarce as hen's teeth.

I can however get a set of Continental Diesel 2.5" tyres for about $40 a pair and am wondering if this is a better alternative in order to get a taste for the larger circumference wheels before jumping in completely and converting to 29" wheels?!?!

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
TR said:
OK I have sucked it up and am ready to be flamed for such a stupid question so here goes.

Can someone tell me what the difference (other than weight) would be between running 26" rims with 2.5" tyres vs running a 700cc wheel with say 2.1" tyres. In my teeny tiny little mind all I can see is that there will be a .5" difference in outer diameter at most.

Sorry if this is an obviously dumb question but I do not have the option of just dropping down to a LBS and grabbing a cheap set of wheels and tyres to find out for myself. This is Australia and 29'ers are scarce as hen's teeth.

I can however get a set of Continental Diesel 2.5" tyres for about $40 a pair and am wondering if this is a better alternative in order to get a taste for the larger circumference wheels before jumping in completely and converting to 29" wheels?!?!
Not the same dude. If you saw them side-by-side you'd really appreciate the difference. I saw my buddy's 29x2.2 towering over his 26x2.7 on his DH bike when they were next to each other. And check out those 26-29 hybrids, they can give you an idea of the difference.

Not to mention the extra weight!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Diameter difference in the rims is 63mm. But all you notice is half that, 31.5mm that the tire moves closer to frame bridges and crowns. Over a healthy 2.5" tire, probably a full inch for a 29x2.1-2.2".

The advantage of he US is that they have affordable disc rims there, like the Alex TD-17. If you can't get tires locally, perhaps worth to let it all come in one package. Consider getting 3 or 4 different tires if you can, so you'll have good opportunities to swap around. Nano, Exi, Front Kenda, or something like that.

I think those black 1x1's look totally badass with the 29" wheels! Probably to do with the short wheelbase, oldskool-tall frame and raised BB.

Lance, I'm affraid the 14" 1x1 would almost develop toe overlap with 26" wheels, let alone 29". Also, a 1.25" raised BB might not be very practical in technical riding for a short women. Hard to get a foot on the ground, or get back on the bike halfway a climb. Standover clearance won't get better at all, thogh she may have some to spare.
I'll gladly sketch you a drawing for an affordable custom frame like a Walt or Spicer for your wife, to see how well it could fit her compared to what she's used to now. A custom fork will make it work, I'm sure. Email me if interested (I have yet to receive commission from custom builders, so it's no spam). If anyone is worth a custom 29"er, it's a bike-riding girlfriend or wife, IMO :)

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Hey TR, I may have a few old tires I can maybe send up to you. I am getting some Exi's next week when I go back to the US. We need to set up a tire swap program between you, Markymark and myself. Getting folding bead tires shipped is not to expensive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.