Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard it is possible to run 29" wheels on a Surly 1X1. I have a 1X1 frame being offered to me but will only take it if I can convert it to a 29er ( I have a 26" SS already). Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on how it rides? It seems to me it would be a great compromise, tight geometry along with a higher BB. Just curious of there are any thoughts on the matter......

·
Registered
138 Posts
nope

sloth said:
I have heard it is possible to run 29" wheels on a Surly 1X1. I have a 1X1 frame being offered to me but will only take it if I can convert it to a 29er ( I have a 26" SS already). Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on how it rides? It seems to me it would be a great compromise, tight geometry along with a higher BB. Just curious of there are any thoughts on the matter......
unless you are going to run disc brakes and feel like having the BB way to high I wouldn't waste the time or money in the project.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Like Eric said, You have to do a brake stud move(any builder can do that for cheap) or run disc brakes, but then you have the issue of a higher BB. You seem to acknowledge that though. The 29" wheels will fit, it has seen done, there's a pic floating somewhere's on the 29" board of it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes, it can be done, as Martini said there is a pic of an orange one with dirt drops on the 29" board somewhere - and gspot's above also. Because of the brake issues, a high bb, and pretty tight clearance on the rear, you may be better off looking to see if a Karate Monkey comes up on the classifieds or the bay.

Sam

·
Registered
59 Posts
Brake issue

Kolo said:
Yes, it can be done, as Martini said there is a pic of an orange one with dirt drops on the 29" board somewhere - and gspot's above also. Because of the brake issues, a high bb, and pretty tight clearance on the rear, you may be better off looking to see if a Karate Monkey comes up on the classifieds or the bay.

Sam
Not that I have tried it, but you can use the Paul Component's motoBMX brakes as long as you switch to an older style (non-V) lever. (www.paulcomp.com)

It might be cheaper to have the brake bosses moved though ;-)

Mark

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
A second-hand Surly being offered to you is always something to consider, but if 29" is what you want, better pay a bit more for a used Karate monkey, and have the Bee's Knees in 29" geometry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ERoman said:
unless you are going to run disc brakes and feel like having the BB way to high I wouldn't waste the time or money in the project.
I agree. I was thinking about trying this with my 1x1 and after doing a little research, I decided against it. I guess I'm just spoiled by my Karate Monkey 29er.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried the MotoBMX brakes for this type of conversion

I had an LBS order these for my 26 to 29 conversion. No issues getting the vertical adjustment to line up the pad & rim. The issue was the straddle cable. There was hardly any clearance for my WTB Nano tires. I would also check larger knobby tires before dropping some coin on the brakes. Erik ended up offering to resell the brakes so I did not have to eat the purchase.

Please do not get me wrong, I think Paul makes killer components. My Paul non disk hubs ran for more than 5 years with absolutely ZERO issues on my Kona ONE. Using the Moto BMX brakes for 26 to 29er conversion may not be the best application.

Thanks Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.