Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's a 1x Boost World out there nowadays and I'm just trying to survive. I bought a new Giant Trance in 2015 which came 2x stock. Lots of climbs where I ride and I was super happy with the bike. I thought I'd try a 1x conversion before thinking about how I could afford a new bike or a boost frame. I feel I was successful with the conversion and wanted to post in case it would be helpful to anyone else.

I bought a Sunrace 10 speed cassette 11-46t, a 30t Wolf Tooth front ring (smallest you can go with stock 104 crank), a KMC chain, bash guard, and the Wolf Tooth Goat Link derailleur extender for SLX Shadow.

The Sunrace cassette came with an aluminum lock which is garbage. I reused the stock Shimano HG one. Unfortunately Shimano doesn't seem to make a 10 speed 11-46t or else would have bought one. The stock chain was 114 link I believe and I bought a 116 link. I ended up removing 3 or 4 links to get acceptable tension.

The bike shifting is good and no chain drop while back pedaling. The only additional change was replacing the derailleur cable and housing. The stock length was way to short, especially when the suspension was compressed while riding the bike. This caused auto shifting to occur at times. The longer cable and housing totally fixed the problem. Having a bit of slack that hangs down a little at the bottom bracket is fine when you have a bash guard. This allows the housing/cable to slide back and forth in the frame when the suspension moves or if you wipe out and fold the bars hard.

The bike has 3 hole tabs at the bottom bracket so I can use an MRP type bash guard as well. I like trying to hop over bigger logs and rocks on the trail. Anyway, I have a few rides on this 1x conversion and it works really well. The other plus is that the bike is more sellable now which will help when I need cash for a new bike. It really is as close as a 2015 Trance can be to a boost bike. The upgraded fork is 110mm spacing (stock hub with spacers), 30mm wide rims, a 2.8 tire up front and a 2.6 in the back. The chain line is good and never rubs the rear tire. Hopefully this info is useful to others with similar 2x bikes that want to convert to 1x. Thanks for listening and please feel free to add anything else I may have missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I have a 1x with a wide range cassette on an old early 2000's schwinn.

People freak out about standards, but my old bike runs basically takeoffs from my 2017. As long as you have an 8-11s freehub (90's+), you can use a wide range cassette. Narrow-wide rings are commonly made for crank bolt circles found on anything of nearly any vintage.

·
turtles make me hot
11,677 Posts
Good job.

My fourteen year old son spotted my old 2009 Stumpjumper FSR 29 in the basement and asked if I would put it together for him. I'll be doing the exact same thing only with a Raceface crankset and spiderless Wolftooth ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.