Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a type two rear der in both SRAM (X9) and Shimano (XT shadow) mid cage versions. It appears that the upper guide wheel is mounted differently on the two brands. On Shimano the upper wheel is concentric to the cage pivot point and never moves as the cage moves fore/ aft. On SRAM the upper wheel appears to be offset to the rear just a bit. This causes the wheel to move up as the cage moves aft and down as the cage moves foreward.

Does the non-concentric upper wheel on SRAM give it an advantage in 1X conversions? Does it allow the chain to remain closer to the smaller cogs in the cassette to facilitate better shifting? Or, is there variations in the parallelogram linkages that allow the guide wheel on Shimano to follow as close to the cassette as SRAM?

Bottom line: Is there a consensus on which rear der design allows a better 1X10 conversion using a 42t cog?

I have done much reading and am seeing successes and issues using both brands of rear der/ shifters. Has anyone tried both on the same bike and felt one brand offered an advantage vs. the other based on rear der design?

Thanks!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a type two rear der in both SRAM (X9) and Shimano (XT shadow) mid cage versions. It appears that the upper guide wheel is mounted differently on the two brands. On Shimano the upper wheel is concentric to the cage pivot point and never moves as the cage moves fore/ aft. On SRAM the upper wheel appears to be offset to the rear just a bit. This causes the wheel to move up as the cage moves aft and down as the cage moves foreward.

Does the non-concentric upper wheel on SRAM give it an advantage in 1X conversions? Does it allow the chain to remain closer to the smaller cogs in the cassette to facilitate better shifting? Or, is there variations in the parallelogram linkages that allow the guide wheel on Shimano to follow as close to the cassette as SRAM?

Bottom line: Is there a consensus on which rear der design allows a better 1X10 conversion using a 42t cog?

I have done much reading and am seeing successes and issues using both brands of rear der/ shifters. Has anyone tried both on the same bike and felt one brand offered an advantage vs. the other based on rear der design?

Thanks!
Yes it does I would use the Sram all the way. and I prefer Shimano but for this application its Sram

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Sounds interesting. Need to find someone local with a type 2 Rd and a 42T cog to see for myself...lol.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried or seen the differences with both brands or is your thought theoretical? Does it depend on the bike and it's hanger geometry or is it a blanket statement that the SRAM should work better than Shimano due to its offset upper guide wheel design. I'm surprised I haven't read something in any of the industry reviews on this detail. Many of those reviews used Shimano rear ders.

The reason I am asking is because I really like the double upshift (smaller cogs) capability on Shimano shifters...and the Shadow design is effective in reducing der carnage. But I can understand why the SRAM rear der design might allow better chain wrap in the smaller cogs when doing a 42t conversion.

I have both options and would prefer to go Shimano unless the SRAM design will provide improved function. I guess I could spend the time to try both brands on my Enduro 29 but I'm lazy and am doing as much research as I can before the Wolf Tooth front ring shows up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am in the process of working the bugs out of a 1x conversion with an XTR M980 rear derailleur and not having any luck. Works great till I shift into the One Up 42 tooth but then it hangs up there and I can't shift out.

Im trying to figure out if I have a SG - long cage or SGS - Super long cage. part of the problem I think is the 26 tooth front ring I am running. I think thederailleur angle would be better with more of a middle ring on the front...but that would defeat the purpose of going to the 42 tooth in the first place...

·
Registered
71 Posts
HOpe somebody chimes in since most of my experience was with SHIMANO RDs. All I can add is taht I'm not too happy with the shifting in the smaller cogs once i've cranked the B-screw all the way in with my shimano RDs to facilitate shifting into the 42t cog.

If a SRAM RD will shift significantly better than SHIMANO in this regard, then I'll definitely switch over.

#wallet.not.ready.for.xx1

·
Registered
838 Posts
HOpe somebody chimes in since most of my experience was with SHIMANO RDs. All I can add is taht I'm not too happy with the shifting in the smaller cogs once i've cranked the B-screw all the way in with my shimano RDs to facilitate shifting into the 42t cog.

If a SRAM RD will shift significantly better than SHIMANO in this regard, then I'll definitely switch over.

#wallet.not.ready.for.xx1
My buddy runs a x9 setup 42 with zero issues! when I set mine up shimano xtr and 42 tooth Sucked same as you,, now that I went with 40 tooth and xtr works great!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I ordered a X9 medium cage rear derailleur, X0 shifter and the OneUp 16t is on its way. Also got the Problem Solvers Mismatch bracket.

I'm using a XT long cage now shifting is fine once above the 19T. Shifting in and out the 42T is smooth. Stays on the 42 when backpedaling.

I'm going to try the SRAM out to see if the shifting in the three small cogs improve.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
I am in the process of working the bugs out of a 1x conversion with an XTR M980 rear derailleur and not having any luck. Works great till I shift into the One Up 42 tooth but then it hangs up there and I can't shift out.

Im trying to figure out if I have a SG - long cage or SGS - Super long cage. part of the problem I think is the 26 tooth front ring I am running. I think thederailleur angle would be better with more of a middle ring on the front...but that would defeat the purpose of going to the 42 tooth in the first place...
I'm genuinely curious. Just how steep are your climbs that you need a 26-42 gear?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered a X9 medium cage rear derailleur, X0 shifter and the OneUp 16t is on its way. Also got the Problem Solvers Mismatch bracket.

I'm using a XT long cage now shifting is fine once above the 19T. Shifting in and out the 42T is smooth. Stays on the 42 when backpedaling.

I'm going to try the SRAM out to see if the shifting in the three small cogs improve.
Would you please report your observations after the switch? This would be very helpful. Though, if both Wolf Tooth and One Up are admitting that SRAM works better with the 42 I'm guessing you may see an improvement. I think I read that elsewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
So I installed the X9 RD and X0 shifter...aaaand...it does shift better. I did not have to crank the b-tension screw all the way in. The shifting in the smaller cogs feel more precise than the XT. With the XT I had to hold down the shift paddle until the chain moved up. This is just from riding on the street. I'll have to get on the trail and see how it works there.

This is just my initial experience and I still need a bit more fine tuning....YMMV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I installed the X9 RD and X0 shifter...aaaand...it does shift better. I did not have to crank the b-tension screw all the way in. The shifting in the smaller cogs feel more precise than the XT. With the XT I had to hold down the shift paddle until the chain moved up. This is just from riding on the street. I'll have to get on the trail and see how it works there.

This is just my initial experience and I still need a bit more fine tuning....YMMV.
Stoked to hear this!

I just got my XO Rd. Still hunting for a SHIFTER to match though. My 40t from Wolf and 16t from ONEUP is still in the mail, so no rush.

I just sold my 42t cog so I'll be back on 36t for a week or so.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried or seen the differences with both brands or is your thought theoretical? Does it depend on the bike and it's hanger geometry or is it a blanket statement that the SRAM should work better than Shimano due to its offset upper guide wheel design. I'm surprised I haven't read something in any of the industry reviews on this detail. Many of those reviews used Shimano rear ders.

The reason I am asking is because I really like the double upshift (smaller cogs) capability on Shimano shifters...and the Shadow design is effective in reducing der carnage. But I can understand why the SRAM rear der design might allow better chain wrap in the smaller cogs when doing a 42t conversion.

I have both options and would prefer to go Shimano unless the SRAM design will provide improved function. I guess I could spend the time to try both brands on my Enduro 29 but I'm lazy and am doing as much research as I can before the Wolf Tooth front ring shows up.
This is a bit OT but my old 9sp xtr shifter (just before everything went 10sp) can shift 3 cogs either way at a time and shifting to smaller cogs can be done 2 ways on the little shift lever, either thumb/push or index finger/pull.

edit: It appears i was wrong! I can shift 2 going to smaller cogs and 4 going to bigger cogs. But it makes 3 disctinct clicks though :) it had me fooled.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Lets bring back this thread.

Its been over a year and hopefully someone can chime in with some long term review of the Sram 1x. I am trying to decide if I want to take the X1 11 speed leap or stick with 10 speed. I have a 1x Shimano set up that works OK, so thinking that the Sram may be the ticket.

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Lets bring back this thread.

Its been over a year and hopefully someone can chime in with some long term review of the Sram 1x. I am trying to decide if I want to take the X1 11 speed leap or stick with 10 speed. I have a 1x Shimano set up that works OK, so thinking that the Sram may be the ticket.
Have you seen what Shimano has in store for 2015 XT? Will be available at the end of this month.

First Look: Shimano's New Deore XT Group - Pinkbike

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used SRAM X9 Type 2 for 1X10 w/ the OneUp 42/16t cogs. I ran this for a few months. Everything was fine except for 2 things: The SRAM rear der sticks out too far and it kept getting bumped. SRAM only has 1 click shifting down the cassette. :madman::madman::madman:

I now have 1X10 conversions on 3 bikes using XT. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I use the OneUp 42/16t cogs with XT shifters and Type 2 Shadow rear ders using the OneUp RAD cage. The Shadow rear der is less exposed than the SRAM (not much but it makes a big difference). Best of all, XT level has double shifting down the cassette. Woohoo!!! I am dumbfounded as to why SRAM does not have this feature.

The RAD cage allows the XT rear der to function similar to the SRAM due to the fact that it offsets the upper jockey wheel. This setup works so well that I have no desire to go 1X11 until I buy a bike that is so equipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont know what the deal is with these new derailers/shifters i just "upgraded" to sram x0 gear and its still not working out. Not happy as shimano was the ol tried an true system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts