Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got one of these - complete set up for 4 bikes - over the last month. It's expensive, but with the new feature of being able to mount the expansion kit on either the roof or the hitch, it solves several problems and the cost is lower because of the modularity.

Here's the 4 bike set up loaded with bikes on the back of our Volvo XC90:

From the side:

With one bike removed, you can see the difference in kits. The kit with the continuous tray is one of the two that can go on the roof top if you unbolt the tray from the hitch rack part (2 bolts):

Difference in trays from the top:

Full 4 rack set up empty:

A close up of one of the arms - there are two on each tray. You can see the adjustment for wheel size:

The rack has three positions - fully up, partially up, locked horizontal (normal road mode), and it can be lowered all the way to the ground to get into the back. Here's partially up:

All the way up:

The non-roof trays all fold up and are stored in heavy duty cardboard boxes to make storage super easy. Here's an add on kit folded up.

Here's the main unit with the part that mates with the hitch. Our hitch is 2" but this rack can mate with wither 2" or 1.25".

Receiver piece close up. The L shaped piece of metal is removable to mate with 1.25" receivers.

Top of the hitch part. The ball shown is what pressures the whole device to stay in the hitch. This is turned with a large special allen wrench to turn a theft resistant nut.

My impressions with this rack after driving with it are the following:

1. It holds the bikes very securely. They absolutely do not slip.

2. The rack bounces a bit as it would with such a long lever arm out the back. However, the thing is rated for 250lbs of bikes and it is solid. We drove over lots of bumps and it will go up and down just so much, and not more. Not having experience with any of the others (T2 etc...). I can't really compare. Worth noting however, there is little to no twisting because of the design of the mounts that hold the trays. There is a lot of separation there and a broad support base.

3. Rack loaded very quickly and very easily. No issues here. You can be ready to go with 4 bikes in less than 2-3 minutes.

4. Rack goes together a piece at time. You don't have to keep the whole thing together in one piece. You can add or subtract a tray as needed from 1 to 4.

5. Mounting to the car from time it is out of its storage box is literally 30 seconds. Adding a tray is about an additional 30 seconds from when it is out of the box.

6. Storage is terrific in the garage. Each module fits in a box that is about 30x14"x10" or so. Fits on a shelf, no awkward piece to strap to a wall.

7. Can be easily mounted to the car by a small person (woman, child etc...). Very easy to set up.

Hope that's interesting.

J.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,978 Posts
Does it tilt down like a T2 to allow access into the hatch/trunk?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. All the way down. There is a spring driven bar that has a twist lock out. You pull on the bar and lower it down. There are 4 positions - all the way down, horizontal, about 45 degrees and shown and all the way up, as shown.

J.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i know someone who has one and it totally rocks. the only real downside, if memory serves, is that the rack has no locks - have to use cables. other than that...all good.

aside, i'm surprised that volvo takes a 2" hitch.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's got the T6 engine it and has a big towing capacity. The problem is the tranny is a P.O.S. Just replaced it at 103K for $5.5K. Most people don't make it that far. Anyhow, because of the towing capacity that's the factory accessory from Volvo. The rack is ok for 4 bikes or 250lbs for either size hitch.

The rack has antitheft devices (special fasteners) that prevent theft of the rack. The locks, on any of the racks are pretty worthless for keeping the bikes on the rack. You're better (but not safe) with running a cable through the bikes to the hitch. The lock cable from Yakima works great and so would any longer cable available from the hardware store.

J

·
Registered
612 Posts
I inquired about the roof tray model last week and they said they would be available in August. Hopefully my rusty old Cobra makes it that long, cause the 1Up USA looks really nice!

·
Registered
659 Posts
just noticed the bmw wagon. for the love of god why won't they do it as a 335 6speed? anyway, will it take a 2" or is it relegated to the 1.25?

edit: wait, is that a 5 series wagon? same question if so.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iridetitus said:
just noticed the bmw wagon. for the love of god why won't they do it as a 335 6speed? anyway, will it take a 2" or is it relegated to the 1.25?

edit: wait, is that a 5 series wagon? same question if so.
That's the BMW 530xit. That one has a 6 speed automatic (steptronic) and is AWD. A 6 speed manual would be fun, but I drive it for work so it's an automatic. You can get a hitch for the Bimmer, but they are butt ugly and have to bolt to the back bumper. I just can't take it. I use bikes on top for the wagon. That's where the 1UpUSA trays will go when not on the back of the Volvo.

The rack will do either a 1.25" or 2" right out of the box so it would work for either.

J.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CharacterZero said:
Just a first impression - the angle/tilt of the bikes in the racks makes me uneasy...
It's designed to be like that in order to get it as close to the vehicle as possible (lowest overhang) so that the handlebars don't touch the car.

J.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was actually just looking at this rack. Would it be possible to get another side shot (like #2 or #5) but from lower? Perhaps the same level as the hitch. I've got a pretty low vehicle (scion xB) and am wondering if this will have better ground clearance than some of the other racks I've used (cycle on pro, thelma).

Also, how long is the stub that goes into the receiver? Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
64 Posts
bmph8ter said:
I was actually just looking at this rack. Would it be possible to get another side shot (like #2 or #5) but from lower? Perhaps the same level as the hitch. I've got a pretty low vehicle (scion xB) and am wondering if this will have better ground clearance than some of the other racks I've used (cycle on pro, thelma).

Also, how long is the stub that goes into the receiver? Thanks for the writeup!
Here are some photos that I took of my 1UpUSA rack: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157618889046214/. I don't have any of the extension units for it, but there might be a helpful photo in there. (The hitch sits at the same level as the exhaust pipes on my car.)

I posted them in a thread here, too (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=522934).

The receiver tube on the rack is only about 4"-5" long. If your hitch sits 3 or more inches back from the bumper, you'll need to use a hitch extension. The rack is light enough that it's not too bad to use it with an extender, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buadyen said:
Here are some photos that I took of my 1UpUSA rack: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157618889046214/. I don't have any of the extension units for it, but there might be a helpful photo in there. (The hitch sits at the same level as the exhaust pipes on my car.)

I posted them in a thread here, too (https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=522934).

The receiver tube on the rack is only about 4"-5" long. If your hitch sits 3 or more inches back from the bumper, you'll need to use a hitch extension. The rack is light enough that it's not too bad to use it with an extender, though.
They actually ARE helpful, thanks. So it looks like it barely hangs down any lower than the receiver tube itself; if it does at all. That's good. AND, it starts an upward slope almost immediately after it inserts into the receiver. That's good too.

My plan is to get a Draw-Tite Invisihitch, and one of these racks to pick up a bit more ground clearance for the Scions. The receiver on the Invisihitch faces down so it's all hidden (and tucked under the car) if the drawbar isn't in.

Then, this drawbar goes in to bring it out from under the ride:

My hope was that the mount part of the 1up rack was short enough to go all the way into this drawbar, effietively tucking the rack up against the back bumper. This would give me MUCH better clearance than the current solution. Here's a pic of the above hitch but with a ball mount; the drawbar should be the same height though:

This should be WAY better than how it is now; note that the toe of my shoe is wedged under the hitch just about 2 inches clearance. With it sticking out straight back so far, driveways are REALLY fun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I actually just measured the rack's receiver tube -- it's 6" long. The hitch extender that you see in my photos is about 3.5" deep, so there's 2.5" of the tube that stick out from the hitch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
These look like real nice racks.
Wondering how they deal with larger tires - specifically I think all images I've seen show 26" mtb tires and rack arms with the furtherst out adjustment dont go far around the tire - I guess a normal 700c road tire works because its much narrower sits further in the tray and arm but what about 29" mtb wheels??

Other issues for me at least are price ($900 for a 4 bike setup) and lack of integrated lock/security.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't used it with a 29-er but it worked very well with standard mtb and road bikes. I believe it is designed to do just fine with 29-ers.

It is pricey. What worked for me is to have two of the trays be capable of being mounted as roof trays. Those stay on my car, and then we use it as 1-4 bikes on my wife's truck. That means it comes in at about the same price as a rack set up for both but it is more flexible. The modularity and the cross use like this make this, for me, as cost effective if not more so.

The rack is secured onto the car by means of special theft proof bolts that reguire a special wrench to remove. If you are worried about locking the bikes to the rack, I use a long cable with a lock on it. The Thule and yak means are less secure than that.

J.

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
I just ordered one the other night (single bike for now) and although it's an expensive unit, I like the quality and the fact that I can quickly remove it, fold it, and place it in my trunk while I'm on the trail.

It's also easier for me to store it in my condo as space is at a premium. I know I'm being a little paranoid about leaving it on the car while riding but I like to have that piece of mind. I guess I'll never get the New Yorker out of me:p

Anyway, I wouldn't rely on that security hex key to prevent a theft of the unit though. It's not a proprietary wrench/key thats made just for the 1Up. It's a readily available security allen key and anybody can purchase it at various stores. Of course you can use a cable lock but having it out of sight and out of mind is the best deterrent IMO;)

Thanks for the great review and pics John, I spent a lot of time looking at your pics to make my decision:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to help.

As a note, it is a standard allen wrench that has been modified. The bolt has a pin that comes up in the middle of the allen slot and the wrench has been drilled to match it. There is no such tool commercially available - 1upUSA makes them.

J.

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
Hey John,

I don't know what size the 1Up wrench is but thats simply just a tamper proof allen key and 'is' readily available to the general public. They're usually referred to as "Tamper Resistant", "Tamper Proof", or "Security" hex screws. Thats why I wouldn't rely on it as a great deterrent. Yes, not everybody's gonna have one but you can get it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bondhus-8-Pc-T...QitemZ280377848243QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_956

https://www.drillspot.com/products/124132/Eklind_90100_Tamper_Resistant_Hex_Key_Set

Image of the 1Up wrench and bolt

1 - 20 of 37 Posts