Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought the blackburn trakstand ultra 2 weeks ago. It's the exact same resistance unit as the 1up USA that many of you use. I'm really pleased with the trainer but it seems so much harder than on the pavement. I mean, to hold the same speed inside is a lot much work. If I take the power curves on the 1up usa, it basically says that i'm an old grandma. I'm confused...I am in pretty good shape, not as powerful at threshold as I can be, but without any training and not much riding I was a bit better than mid pack sport class last summer. (Did a race 3 weeks after having my bike, no prior training or mtb riding)

I train on a road bike with 115psi tire pressure. When you put the bike on the trainer, you have to adjust the pressure of the RU on the tire...might be the problem? Or I just see myself more powerful than I am!
Are the power curves (power vs speed) pretty accurate?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know what you mean

I've been fighting mine for about two months. Mine would be super easy for about an hour to an hour and a half then it would spike to the point where I could barely turn the pedals. I found this later.
http://www.roadbikerider.com/producttests.htm
He had the same problem. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone but eventually I was sent a new Resistance Unit. The problem is now the resistance is consistent but it's very hard to spin so much that if you drop a gear or two to recover you go under the 10 mph and lose all the resistance. So I've tried and tried but mine is going back I'm going to get stuck with a restocking fee and shipping but I've had it. I would guess that if there are so many happy 1up users than blackburn made some changes with the friction material. :madmax: I think I might try the kurt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't experience such drastic changes in resistance but i've used it for only a week. It really supposed to be the same RU as the 1up so it's weird.
My problems really looks like what you have with your second RU. With that hard resistance, were you reaching high speeds. I mean I'm spinning my 53x14 at 85rpm and I am at 30 km/h (19mph) which puts me at 160 watts...
so lame!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure

I think I'd be content with 19 mph. Just so we're on the same page, I race comp mid pack. If I ride the road I can avg just over 19 mph for 40 miles. I struggle to get my current ru over 13 mph and was hovering around 12 and I can only do it for an hour. 12mph puts me at a steller 64 watts according to the chart.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the chart is way off...
To be mid pack comp you would need to weight something like 50lbs I guess...

Does people with the 1up have the same problem?

·
XCdude
1,328 Posts
I have the 1up trainer, my son and I both

use it and we can get speeds much higher that you guys are getting. Do you guys have the thing setup right. My son had it setup wrong so the contact area wasn`t right, so he was getting an almost unnoticable spin which kept him from reaching higher speeds, after I set it right his speeds went up to the right range for him. I`m talking about the 1UP, the trainer does have a noticable grab when you increase your output.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It came in already set up.
To make sure, I dismounted everything and mounted it back. Still no luck.

The frictionnal disk shows unequal wears. It looks like the pressure isn't applied uniformly over the disk. Well..i'm lost!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Call up 1upusa

I've had a Blackburn Ultra for several weeks and initially had a problem with noise. Their number is on their web site. Customer service was more knowledgeable at 1up than Blackburn and was very helpful. I'm curious if you might have the tire tension set too tight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steelbike said:
I've had a Blackburn Ultra for several weeks and initially had a problem with noise. Their number is on their web site. Customer service was more knowledgeable at 1up than Blackburn and was very helpful. I'm curious if you might have the tire tension set too tight.
Right, will try that.
For the tire tension, i tried different settings but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Milkman said:
I've been fighting mine for about two months. Mine would be super easy for about an hour to an hour and a half then it would spike to the point where I could barely turn the pedals. I found this later.
http://www.roadbikerider.com/producttests.htm
He had the same problem. I had a hard time getting a hold of someone but eventually I was sent a new Resistance Unit. The problem is now the resistance is consistent but it's very hard to spin so much that if you drop a gear or two to recover you go under the 10 mph and lose all the resistance. So I've tried and tried but mine is going back I'm going to get stuck with a restocking fee and shipping but I've had it. I would guess that if there are so many happy 1up users than blackburn made some changes with the friction material. :madmax: I think I might try the kurt
I have been looking at getting a trainer. The 1up unit seems to be "reliable" but has had issues with consistent resistance. Would like advice if this has been addressed.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.