Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I finally got my 1UP and was planning to pickup a D lock to use as a safety connector, (wanted something a little more secure than the Velcro strap for piece of mind) but after looking around on Amazon I found a short cable and a stainless steel carabiner that seems to work quite well...thought I'd share this setup, since it was all together only about $15. I purchased the 1UP lock for the hitch bolt so I didn't need another lock on the cable.

• ONGUARD Akita Loop Cable Lock (Short 53cm x 5mm 1.72' x 0.20'')

• PROND Locking Carabiner, Heavy Duty Carabiner, 316 Stainless Steel Screw Lock Carabiner Hooks

Line Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Steel Metal
Automotive exterior Windshield Automotive window part Gas Shadow

·
Registered
269 Posts
Was this a recent order of the 1up? In another 1up thread, someone pointed out (and the website seems to confirm) that they added a slot in the square tubing so that a lock could be inserted through the hitch pin holes. Doesn't look like yours has that. Your solution appears to work well though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@aski - This rack was purchased about 4 weeks ago. I didn’t hear that there was a change to the square tube, I called 1UP before placing the order and asked if there were any upcoming changes or features coming out and the rep said no. I’ll take a look at their website.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,675 Posts
What benefit does the velco/cable provide?

From looking at the pics I can't tell what the intended purpose.
Just a safety precaution to ensure the rack doesn't slide out in case the tightening ball gets loose (which mine never has).
These racks don't have a pin that slides through like normal.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Just a safety precaution to ensure the rack doesn't slide out in case the tightening ball gets loose (which mine never has).
These racks don't have a pin that slides through like normal.
Ahh okay. Didn't realize they weren't held in with a hitch pin.

One Up is on my list for my next truck -good to know these things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.