Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a 4 bike 1Up rack and RakAttach this year and removed it from the car over the weekend to find that the threads on both the locking pin/bolt and the anti-rattle bracket have disintegrated. I spoke to 1Up and they asked me to send photos so they can replace under warranty, but curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?

It definitely wasn't cross-threaded when I installed it, but maybe the forces exerted on that interface in preventing a fully loaded rack from moving in the hitch have slowly chewed away at the threads?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
... but curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?
No personal experience, with the Rakattach, but I've used that style of locking pin before and have found them dodgy...

Maybe consider also using one of these to firm things up. It makes things really solid at the expense of extra minutes to put it on/off.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No personal experience, with the Rakattach, but I've used that style of locking pin before and have found them dodgy...

Maybe consider also using one of these to firm things up. It makes things really solid at the expense of extra minutes to put it on/off.

They're sending a new pin and plate under warranty, but I did google as recommended by @Sego and sure enough there are similar stories of the threads failing, which does make sense:

RakAttach - 43lbs
4 bike 1Up - 82lbs
4 bikes @ ~30lbs each - 120lbs
Total - 245lbs

So 245lbs pivoting on a single 1/2" thread.

I will definitely grab one of those 'U' style units to augment the new lock pin, because the rack stays on the car for the whole riding season, and even if I take the rack off, the RakAttach can stay installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.