Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does 1up ever have a sale for their hitch racks? If I can get a main unit and one add-on for $400 then I would buy!

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what the previous poster just stated - will never need to replace it most likely. I was in same analysis boat - didnt want to spend that much when others were available for less. But wife said - buy a good one and be done.

Kuats and Thules and Yaks are nice, but there is no level of bombproof comparable to the 1 ups.

My buddy's Kuat is same age as mine, he's replaced multiple parts already to wear, bend or breakage... just sayin. AND - its a pain to get 2 mt bikes on it without some level of bar/seat conflicts - with the 1 up its so easy to mount and go any bikes without using complex geometry to figure it out.

If you go a different route - you will spend more overall in the long run. Buy once. Use, Ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what the previous poster just stated - will never need to replace it most likely. I was in same analysis boat - didnt want to spend that much when others were available for less. But wife said - buy a good one and be done.

Kuats and Thules and Yaks are nice, but there is no level of bombproof comparable to the 1 ups.

My buddy's Kuat is same age as mine, he's replaced multiple parts already to wear, bend or breakage... just sayin. AND - its a pain to get 2 mt bikes on it without some level of bar/seat conflicts - with the 1 up its so easy to mount and go any bikes without using complex geometry to figure it out.

If you go a different route - you will spend more overall in the long run. Buy once. Use, Ride and enjoy.
Thanks for sharing your ownership experience. In fact, I'm actually on the fence between the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 and the 1up.

Kuat as a 2-bike carrier is around 30 lbs whereas the 1up is a tad over 40 lbs. But as a single bike carrier it's a tad under 20 lbs (if I'm remembering correctly). I will be carrying only one bike most of the time but like the add-on option since I do plan to carry at least two bikes from time to time.

I see a lot of people using the 1up at the trails, but have never seen them up close. I'd like to see how close the rack is to the bumper when folded up and not in use. A low profile is a feature I'm looking for.

Have been reading about it in the other boards. I might pull the trigger on one....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for sharing your ownership experience. In fact, I'm actually on the fence between the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 and the 1up.

Kuat as a 2-bike carrier is around 30 lbs whereas the 1up is a tad over 40 lbs. But as a single bike carrier it's a tad under 20 lbs (if I'm remembering correctly). I will be carrying only one bike most of the time but like the add-on option since I do plan to carry at least two bikes from time to time.

I see a lot of people using the 1up at the trails, but have never seen them up close. I'd like to see how close the rack is to the bumper when folded up and not in use. A low profile is a feature I'm looking for.

Have been reading about it in the other boards. I might pull the trigger on one....

I bought a single 1up this year, and the main reason was for the low profile. I have a small car and I leave the rack on all the time. You can adjust how close you want the rack to the bumper since there is no hitch pin on the 1up rack.

That said, if I were needing a 2 bike rack and I was planning on taking it off and putting it on a lot, I would take a hard look at a Kuat Transfer. I just don't know how the Kuat will hold up to being exposed to the elements all year round. With the 1up, set it and forget it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't think 1up ever goes on sale.

Forget about weight and cost (if you can). The 1up is a lifetime purchase. There is nothing to wear out or break. It's made in the USA.

The other racks are lighter because they use plastic. Although there's nothing wrong with good plastic, it WILL eventually degrade with UV.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just bought the double for $529, As long as I don't get rear ended it will be the last rack I should need to buy. they are just so well built.
This. In fact if you're rear ended, or back into a tree or whatever, you can buy parts for the 1up. I've done this and saved hundreds of dollars.

Same concept goes for when your plastic parts from the other racks get sun rot and crack and their hidden internal ratchets start to fail. You'll be buying a whole new rack. Even if parts of the 1up rack eventually wear out (doubtful), they can be replaced.

You won't find them on sale. They know they're sitting on the golden egg. I'm actually surprised one of the big rack powerhouses hasn't bought them out for millions.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I know I'm getting the latest version? I'm assuming that if I order a rack now, then the latest generation rack is what will be sent?

Any difference in previous generation and current?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Yes, you will get the current heavier version. Functionality wise, I guess they're the same. I haven't put my hands on the original.

Here's some info from JohnJ(last post) on the differences: http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/quik-rack-mach-2-a-1063128.html#post13452189

It was immediately noticeable that it wasn't 23lbs when I pulled it out of the box. Not really an issue for me, but just a heads up that the quoted weight on their site is not accurate. If you need to have a lighter rack, you might want to consider other options.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are ever sales. And they don't reply to industry people asking for discounts, either (because I tried). I've also never seen a used one for sale here in Colorado.

That said, I happily paid full price for my 2-bike rack plus a single add-on, because they're everything I need and nothing I don't. Bombproof, low profile (which was super important for me with our van), and very adjustable when it comes to shifting bikes around.

Tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I had the previous top of the line Thule for 10+ years and never had a problem. It was on my truck, outside 100% of the time in the SoCal sun and no plastic parts ever melted, wore out, cracked or broke. After 10 years, the hinges started getting sloppy so I was looking for a new rack. I was going to get the newer Thule but the new design to add the 2-rack add-on was a pain for people who switch between 2 & 4 bikes all the time. Even the Thule rep said not to bother....plus it was only about $100 less than the 1-Up system for 4 bikes.

I bought the 1-Up set-up and it's amazingly solid. The adjustability of the bikes while on the rack is fantastic. By far, the best system I've ever encountered. I'm not 100% sold on the internal locking cam system they use and mine works it's way lose after a few 100 miles when I have 4 bikes on the rack. It hasn't been an issue because I have the safety strap and a coil lock on the rack but it's an issue that NEVER was a factor with the Thule.

·
beater
6,076 Posts
There are a lot of good racks at a lower price, like a kuat transfer. Not as bling but as functional and pretty light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'd argue that it's the function that sells people on the 1-Up, followed by durability. The ability to move bikes around to fit was just about unique to 1-Up until Thule released their newest tray rack. I have lots of experience with Kuats, and some bikes just don't ride well next to each other.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, you will get the current heavier version. Functionality wise, I guess they're the same. I haven't put my hands on the original.

Here's some info from JohnJ(last post) on the differences: http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/quik-rack-mach-2-a-1063128.html#post13452189

It was immediately noticeable that it wasn't 23lbs when I pulled it out of the box. Not really an issue for me, but just a heads up that the quoted weight on their site is not accurate. If you need to have a lighter rack, you might want to consider other options.
Whoa! I didn't know about the Quick Rack Mach 2, which is essentially a second-gen 1up rack.

According to the QR page, this second version will be cheaper and lighter. In the YouTube video posted by Cal (original designer of the 1up rack) that compares the old and new rack, can anyone tell me if the new model shown in the video is just a prototype?

I'm not liking the black plastic rollers or the cheesy quick release for it. Looks like an old school Shimano quick release, lol! The website shows a much better looking wheel roller quick release though--more in line with the styling of the rack.

I might hold off on getting a 1up and see what people have to say about the Mach 2. It's advertised as being better and cheaper (in price). 1up might need to reconsider their pricing if that's the case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've actually been rear ended into mine once, and backed into a fence with it once and it's still working great!
My current 2" single-bike 1up was on a friend's car when she was rear ended. It was folded up and one side of the tray rotated down (like when you fold it up for storage) and drug on the pavement.

Her insurance company bought her a replacement and she gave it to me. Once I took the file to the aluminum and replaced the long pivot bolt/washer/nut it was almost like new! It's a tiny bit wobbly but still more solid than any other option I have owned or seen.

1up sells replacement parts in case something happen and their design is unlikely to change, so parts will be available "forever". Worst case, a machinist will make you what you need or you can rig something up with scrap metal and hardware from your local store.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are ever sales. And they don't reply to industry people asking for discounts, either (because I tried). I've also never seen a used one for sale here in Colorado.

That said, I happily paid full price for my 2-bike rack plus a single add-on, because they're everything I need and nothing I don't. Bombproof, low profile (which was super important for me with our van), and very adjustable when it comes to shifting bikes around.

View attachment 1171629
I'll be selling my 2" super duty single bike in the next few months to get a 2-bike one. I'd like to have the capacity to connect up to 3 add-ons and apparently you "can't" (shouldn't) do that on a single bike version. I may also just buy the roof trays and make a custom swing out hitch for my truck and install them on there. I wouldn't need the tilt-down complexity or hitch mount then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts