Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 3896 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would have thought. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I personally think it has a lot of flex/wiggle. Especially with 3 heavier bikes (think Moonlanders and Pugs). I mentioned that previously and even called 1up. They were quick to imply that I over exaggerate and the perceived movement is because it is so far back behind the car. However, I know that you don't perceive extra movement that way, the rack is/should be one with the frame of the car, so it shouldn't seem to move at all really.

That being said, I've hauled 3 heavy bikes all over the country on a 1.25" 1up rack and never had a problem, just some bouncing when you hit odd bumps and dips in the road. They are very confident in the product and will replace it if it failed.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would like. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
Are you talking about flex from the rack or play in the hitch itself? Unless you make a rack out of concrete I think the rack itself will have some give. A certain amount is healthy, like a tall building swaying in the wind. Kind of creepy but necessary. Mine doesn't seem to be excessive.

·
Perdurabo
17 Posts
They were quick to imply that I over exaggerate and the perceived movement is because it is so far back behind the car. However, I know that you don't perceive extra movement that way, the rack is/should be one with the frame of the car, so it shouldn't seem to move at all really.
The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.

Reactions: jn35646

·
Registered
278 Posts
The rack might be "one with the frame of the car" but you are not. It has been discussed before. One other explanation is that you have already gone over the bump and started to stabilize while the rear of the car is just hitting the bump. Both these contribute to the "exaggeration." Many have said that when observed from a different vehicle the perceived movement was much less.
That's true and I'm not denying it. I'm just saying that these racks bounce more than others. Between owning others and riding buddies having others I've seen many racks, all with less movement than the 1up. I've looked in the same rear view mirror of this particular car and seen 2 other racks (cheapies even) that barely move.

That being said, the 1up rack is still the best rack I've ever used. I freakin' love the product. Just stating my observations.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,678 Posts
Anyone experience a lot of wiggle with a bike in the 1Up rack? I've got the single 1.25" rack, and it seems to move a lot more than I would have thought. The hitch is securely mounted, the rack bolt is tight. Maybe I'm over scrutinizing it, I don't know how much is normal I guess.
I had trouble with ONE of my cars. Turned out it was a crappy hitch. Changed to a different brand hitch and all is well.

Make sure you have the rack mounted as tight to the bumper as possible. If it's cantilevered way out back, there's a bigger lever arm and the hitch will flex.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered

Hi,

Just ordered my 1up single (black) today. I e-mailed them with a couple of question and got answers right away, even on a Saturday. I'm sure after all the reviews the rack will be fine. I'm just hoping it comes with a wheel of cheese, it's already shipped.

·
Registered
633 Posts

I'm similar to the cool kids now

Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)

·
jcard14
154 Posts
Got my 1up a month ago...could not be happier! I had actually never seen one in person and am usually skeptical about buying stuff online if I haven't touched it in real life...but 1up has a 60-day money back guarantee and everyone on MTBR raves about it so I felt I had nothing to lose.

This rack is so cool, looks great and just got its first real test over Thanksgiving as I drove over 1000 miles with my bike on the back...no problems. In fact, someone actually came up behind me on the Interstate and I swear they were checking out my rack...I could see the two people in the front seats discussing (with hand motions) how the rack held the bike.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It means what it means. When people ask me about my rack in the parking lot at the trailhead, all is swell until they get sticker shock when they ask me how much I paid.
IDK, I got what you were getting at. I think that what 1up does is charge what they feel they need to in order to make a product the way they think is best (US-made, machined aluminum, etc, etc) rather than one that will simply sell the most units.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm similar to the cool kids now

Convinced my co-worker (whom was on the fence of which platform rack to get)... to get one also (he had a Thule 594 on the roof.... so I don't think the T2 was on his short list)
Here's mine. I'm not sure if I'm the co-worker you were talking about and I was on the fence about it but decided to go with it. I've only clocked about 100 miles with the bike on the rack but so far so good.

Attachments

1321 - 1340 of 3896 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.