Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This isn't a knock against 1Up, my rack is about 8 years old and has seen its share of salted roads and such, it's been superb).

I can't seem to get the ball to go down. No matter which way I turn the screw, the ball stays sticking out. The ball does spin freely, it's the mechanism underneath that moves it in and out that doesn't seem to be functioning.

It started out with me not being able to remove it from the hitch, and once I got it out and was playing with it, it got permanently stuck out.

How screwed am I? I can't see a way to get inside to see what is malfunctioning.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
once I got it out and was playing with it, it got permanently stuck out.

How screwed am I?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

Is there anyway to soak the whole thing in something, maybe help free it up?? I'm sure the 1up boys could help out as well, pretty good chaps to get in touch with.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Some funny responses.... :)

XJaredX, it is were me, I'd replace/upgrade your 8 year old hitch bar to the newer slotted one (assuming yours isn't already slotted) that allows the use of traditional hitch locks.

Get the new hitch bar... get a new ball, and a slot to go with it.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-hitch-bar/

·
Registered
247 Posts
yes upgrade, but you can also call them directly for a replacement pin. More than likely its shot. i thought there was/is a video out there explaining this but i cant find it at the moment. i had to replace mine a couple of years ago, but then recently just purchased the new hitch bar that fredcook provided the link for.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhh thanks, I didn't even know I could replace that part. I have a 1 1/4" reciever so don't think I can get the one with the thru-pin, but yeah $65 ain't bad if I need to replace the part.

I can always try really lubing it up and beating on it hard first. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I 3rd the upgrade to the new slotted hitch bar.

$85 is a small price to pay for a little rack maintenance and upgrade and the bonus hitch slot lock.

A super 4th bonus is they don't upcharge you for black on the replacement parts!!! $85 or silver or black.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I 3rd the upgrade to the new slotted hitch bar.

$85 is a small price to pay for a little rack maintenance and upgrade and the bonus hitch slot lock.

A super 4th bonus is they don't upcharge you for black on the replacement parts!!! $85 or silver or black.
Oh I just saw you have a 1 1/4. You don't get the slot, but it's cheaper!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ohhh thanks, I didn't even know I could replace that part. I have a 1 1/4" reciever so don't think I can get the one with the thru-pin, but yeah $65 ain't bad if I need to replace the part.

I can always try really lubing it up and beating on it hard first. Thanks!
Have you called 1up? Remember... lifetime warranty...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep! I think I'll just pay the reasonable amount of dollars for a new piece. I didn't know I could buy that piece on it's own, which is a relief.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts