Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 99% sure I'll buy the Quick Rack Single for a 2" receiver and want to get a hitch receiver lock.

1UP has one on sale for $12 and one for $19 at regular price.

their support said they are "similar". Does anyone have experience with one or both and can tell if the cheaper one (I assume it is older type?) is worse?

And does anyone recommend using a 3rd party lock? I realize the advantage of buying the 1UP is that it will be keyed like the wheel locks they sell. But maybe it sucks and 3rd party is better?
(I realize no lock is really secure).

As for the wheel locks, they are $19 each. I was planning to buy 2 to lock both wheels, but wonder if that is necessary? A thief able to pick one, can pick 2. And is there a 3rd party alternative that is better?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I just bought a single 2"superduty 1Up silver. It came with a pin hitch lock. It's not the strongest looking lock. The key head is plastic, not sure on the "prybar" strength but I am using it.
I also added a U-Lock that is placed through the hitch's hook hole and around the base of the 1-Up. To lock the bike down I simply run a bike cable through the frame and wheels using the U lock to secure the cable.
I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9X9WNU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Burt4x4.

Does your Ulock get dinged up or make noises if it has some play?

Another consideration is corrosion and dirt. Do people unlock the locks every once a while to ensure smooth operation? I assume at that location the lock mechanism gets all the water and salt it can get. nothing worse than not being able to open your own lock at such inaccessible location. not sure how to address that problem since any lock would suffer from that. I recall bike locks that were harder to operate after rainy aging.

I assume one could install a small U-lock with a long and thin shank.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i figured it out. the discounted locks have side-entry and the "regular price"ones have straight entry. So they may be a bit easier to use.

On the other hand with side entry i can turn the wheel lock downwards to let less water in. not sure if that will make a difference longevity-wise.

The regular priced ones give a 15% discount if one buys 2 or more, so they would be $16.15 vs. the $12 for the discounted side entry ones ones. I guess for someone who can buy a 1up rack not enough of a difference.

Does anyone have an opinion on longevity of the lock or any maintenance requirements (i.e. oiling) considering they live outside in the water and salt? Is it worth to get the side-entry regarding it living longer?

I would have the key on my keyring with other keys, so that may be inconvenient to turn with side-entry.

1st World problems..... I know.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I use the newer designed "straight" hitch lock since it came with the rack.

HerrKaLeun, if you're buying a new rack, I believe they're still shipping new ones with the newer lock.

I leave my rack, with lock, on the vehicle 24x7, at least 300+ days a year. On occasion when I pull the rack for whatever reason, the lock spins off just fine, like new every time. The rubber cap over the keyhole seems to keep the inside of the lock dry and clean.

I also have several 1up wheel locks, as well as add-on locks, all of which share the same keyed/lock end of the the locks. In fact, they're interchangeable. I feel they are as functional and effective as any lock I've used. I do, however, slide the front and rear wheel locks through a cable (like this), weaving it through the bike frame. Otherwise, someone could simply pull the axles and take the frame, leaving the wheels behind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the newer designed "straight" hitch lock since it came with the rack.

HerrKaLeun, if you're buying a new rack, I believe they're still shipping new ones with the newer lock.

I leave my rack, with lock, on the vehicle 24x7, at least 300+ days a year. On occasion when I pull the rack for whatever reason, the lock spins off just fine, like new every time. The rubber cap over the keyhole seems to keep the inside of the lock dry and clean.

I also have several 1up wheel locks, as well as add-on locks, all of which share the same keyed/lock end of the the locks. In fact, they're interchangeable. I feel they are as functional and effective as any lock I've used. I do, however, slide the front and rear wheel locks through a cable (like this), weaving it through the bike frame. Otherwise, someone could simply pull the axles and take the frame, leaving the wheels behind.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the wheel locks, that someone could still steal the frame. I may have to do what you're doing and add a cable lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.