Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to see a picture on MTBR of a busted 7 until now.....

Rocky Austin, TX claims yet another bike.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Bikes break, Yeti has a great warranty. It will get resolved.

Just curious, why does it look like the chainstay has been crushed/runover?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eyescream said:
Bikes break, Yeti has a great warranty. It will get resolved.

Just curious, why does it look like the chainstay has been crushed/runover?
I'm not too worried. Going to take it in tomorrow.

Actually I was just riding along today-----Seriously. I came down the short rocky decent and was rolling alongside the creek and noticed the rear felt noodly. Then I noticed it was bottoming out and hitting the tire. Took off the Yeti chain stay protector and voila! Crackage. I think it being wet may make it look like it was run over. I had to wash some dog crap off it before I take it in tomorrow-----what day---run over dog crap and crack my frame. :eek:

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Not much tire clearance to the chainstay brace!

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Was that at Barton Creek? I rented a CF Ibis Mojo and rode there a couple years ago, broke the RD clean off. Some rocky trail!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Jim Mac said:
Was that at Barton Creek? I rented a CF Ibis Mojo and rode there a couple years ago, broke the RD clean off. Some rocky trail!
Yep, Barton Creek Greenbelt.

Update: Took it to the local dealer yesterday morning and they are processing the warranty claim.

Sent my shock to Push for a tune and rebuild. Figured why not since it needs service and I have time. Also have another surprise coming. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eyescream said:
Dog poop deflector shield? :D
Not what I had in mind but that is definitely worth exploring. :thumbsup:

Might need a full body armor around here---for some reason dog owners like to bag their little furry buddy's waste and tie the bags to trees near head high (or just throw them on the ground). :madman: :madmax: :nono:

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Sounds like you need a stronger chainstay protector, that would have saved you for sure!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zebrahum said:
Sounds like you need a stronger chainstay protector, that would have saved you for sure!
or a Chainstay Protector Protector----like Gary Busey's Helmet Protector Protector

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correction, the bike was actually ready yesterday but the shop didn't call me. Of course my shock is coming back from PUSH tomorrow. So Yeti had it back to the shop in 4 business days. Not too shabby.

I demo'd a turner sultan yesterday and definitely miss my 7. The turner is a good bike though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great turn around from Yeti

My 7 is back and ready. I took my shock down to the shop to get it put on and the manager said it would be monday for I could get it. I said screw that and took it my favorite local shop, Cycle Progression and they put it on in 5 minutes.

The Yeti Dealer also charged me labor to do the warranty work. I was a little pissed about that but apparently that is common practice in the bike industry. Why even bother taking it to a dealer then? I called Yeti just to make sure and yup, they don't cover labor on warranties.

All is well, now time to ride......:thumbsup:

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Yo Disco Stu...I am developing what appears to be a crack in my 7's chain stay, too. But not in the same location as the actual failure in yours. I do see in the previous pics that there is a small line/scrape/crack? just ahead of the rupture in yours that emanates from near the cable clip. Was that also a potentially failing area or just surface blemish. My first step tomorrow is to contact Yeti....

Here's mine

Leather
Close-up Monochrome photography Macro photography

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
snigs said:
Yo Disco Stu...I am developing what appears to be a crack in my 7's chain stay, too. But not in the same location as the actual failure in yours. I do see in the previous pics that there is a small line/scrape/crack? just ahead of the rupture in yours that emanates from near the cable clip. Was that also a potentially failing area or just surface blemish. My first step tomorrow is to contact Yeti....
Yes, that was a small crack. I did not notice it since I don't take the chainstay protector off very often. I'm going to do that a little more frequently.

Sorry to hear about your bike. Yeti had me back rolling in a week.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Thanks for the quick response DS...I'll post back up when all's resolved...

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Actually I was just riding along today-----Seriously.
Lol Classic!

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Well I am happy to report that Green Mountain Sports in Lakewood, CO had my warranty issue turned around in under a week. Took the bike in Tuesday of last week and it was done Saturday. Sure it helps that the Yeti factory is a 5 mile drive away in Golden, but still a super job. And Yeti threw in a new chain stay protector.

Thanks GMS and Yeti!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts