Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Small brass brushes and some warm soapy water for the rusty bolts and rusty chrome. Makes a pretty big impact. Degrease and repack hubs, bb, headset and pedals. Fresh cables, housing, tires & grips. Done! ;)

Stumpy sport is a stumpy, same frame slightly different parts spec. Still old school cool.

If you want to keep it og the freewheel should have some part numbers on the outboard bearing cover. eBay should have it. Although removal might be best left to the pros, had to give in and do that after spending $20 on a removal tool only to break it. It was on pretty tight lol.

Reactions: NMBJJKLR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Small brass brushes and some warm soapy water for the rusty bolts and rusty chrome. Makes a pretty big impact. Degrease and repack hubs, bb, headset and pedals. Fresh cables, housing, tires & grips. Done! ;)

Stumpy sport is a stumpy, same frame slightly different parts spec. Still old school cool.

If you want to keep it og the freewheel should have some part numbers on the outboard bearing cover. eBay should have it. Although removal might be best left to the pros, had to give in and do that after spending $20 on a removal tool only to break it. It was on pretty

If you want to keep it og the freewheel should have some part numbers on the outboard bearing cover. eBay should have it. Although removal might be best left to the pros, had to give in and do that after spending $20 on a removal tool only to break it. It was on pretty tight lol.

Ok, thanks for that run down on things.
Would like to keep it og but these suntour bars I never liked. Seems everyone talking specialized talks about the bullmoose bars?
Saw pics, dont look much " cooler" to me than these design wise. But like the stem better personally. Is that the stock bar for Stumpy of this age. Thoughts on seat post remov.any exp w that issue. Was thinking zep then maybe some heat ( torch)if not moving?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yeah pretty sure that's the stock bar, still worth good money to a restorer. Think I sold the bar and stem for $60-80 each on the broken 82 I parted out.

For the stuck seatpost a good soak in Zep is a good start. If that doesn't do it wet rag wrapped around the seat tube (not post) and a heat gun might help things along further.

I'd remove the seat clamps wrap the top of the post in a thick rag and use a bolted down vice to see if you can get some rotational motion started.

Also to get things lubed up on both sides, removing the bottle cage bolts will let you lube up the bottom of the seat post. Probably have 6-7" stuck in there.

To clean up the inside of the seat tube once the post is removed: I've had good luck wrapping a wooded dowel (1/2" maybe 5/8") Few wraps of gray scotch brite pad. Think I used some glue on the first wrap. Shoe string to keep it tight. Insert dowel into cordless drill and it's great at freeing up sticky seat tubes. Keep the dowel longer than you need as eventually the cordless drill crushes the wood, if it's longer it can be useful for a longer time.

Reactions: NMBJJKLR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Again want to say thanks to you guys that have commented any and all .
Pretty stoked that people are willing to take time to offer asst. advice. As mentioned ad nauseum perhaps this one and one I still need to go pu(moda) are important to me more than ever due to great mem / loss . As I progress will post pics etc to document for this site. Really happy to finally make this happen. Another member asked what it act weighs. Although as a PM dont use balance/scale but have access to pallet scale and another type so next week will throw it on and see. Poss my being adept at guessing weights is off! Today it did not feel so heavy pulling it out, prob due to excitement. Ha, will post that number as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is interesting to hear you say because my stumpy is super light, much lighter than my 2018 Intense Spider. What does it actually weigh?
Will get that weight , for the record so to speak. Although I tore off all the cables, seat disassembled alot literally within minutes/ hour of getting it here! Got a little too excited and slightly bummed simult at a realization. Put all levers etc in box. Guessing you guys are kinda laughing at my greenness !!
Thank you for comments and help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah pretty sure that's the stock bar, still worth good money to a restorer. Think I sold the bar and stem for $60-80 each on the broken 82 I parted out.

For the stuck seatpost a good soak in Zep is a good start. If that doesn't do it wet rag wrapped around the seat tube (not post) and a heat gun might help things along further.

I'd remove the seat clamps wrap the top of the post in a thick rag and use a bolted down vice to see if you can get some rotational motion started.

Also to get things lubed up on both sides, removing the bottle cage bolts will let you lube up the bottom of the seat post. Probably have 6-7" stuck in there.

To clean up the inside of the seat tube once the post is removed: I've had good luck wrapping a wooded dowel (1/2" maybe 5/8") Few wraps of gray scotch brite pad. Think I used some glue on the first wrap. Shoe string to keep it tight. Insert dowel into cordless drill and it's great at freeing up sticky seat tubes. Keep the dowel longer than you need as eventually the cordless drill crushes the wood, if it's longer it can be useful for a longer time.
Just snapped to what you said re: bottle cage allen bolts. Nice. Thx

21 - 27 of 27 Posts