Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently started my craze for mountain biking and I love it. i rented a cannondale 29er a couple weeks ago and rode it in palo duro canyon (in Texas) which was awesome. Well I recently just bought a Gravity 27.5 FSX 15 in and haven't recieved it yet but I have ridden similar before and feel more comfortable than the 29. I'm just starting out so I still get a little skittish on higher drops and fast pace (I'm a wimp, I know) But I was looking for some tips on how to get over that and just enjoy the ride!
Also, will the butt pain ever go away? Lol

·
Registered
666 Posts
No real secret, start with stuff you feel comfortable with, master that, and slowly move out of your comfort zone.

If you can, have a fried take video of you clearing stuff, study your video, and then wath other videos on youtube. Look for similarities and differences.

Experiment a little with your bike set up until you feel and one with your rig.

Enjoy the ride......don't get discouraged when you crash, it is going to happen. Consider buying some knee and elbow guards for peace of mind.....

sometime,I think you just need to hang on to your bike as it knows the easy way down......

No real secret

Reactions: NorCalTaz

·
Ride On!
1,046 Posts
Being relatively new myself, I can relate to being hesitant with drops, riding along single track near a large drop-off ect... My advice is to not worry about what other's think and take it easy, hell, you can easily screw-up a whole season with an injury. IMHO a good skill set will take some time to develop, other riders are a great source of advice on technique. Good Luck

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thought of one other suggestion, consider going to a bike skills camp or take some kind of course at a local hill.

Join organized group rides out of your LBS

·
EMBA Member
536 Posts
Study, Ride, Practice. And like has already been mentioned take it easy. I spent 5 weeks not on my bike recovering from a shoulder injury when I went OTB and that was the longest 5 weeks of my life. If you have a local bike club join it. Here in Washington we have Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance and I took a couple of their classes when starting. Videos are great. MTB Tips, Better Ride, IMBIKE, and Bike Skills are my favorite on YouTube. And like Chris at MTB Tips says, riding Figure 8s really helped me for riding the winding trails that I like. Good Luck and Have Fun. Slim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pick up the book Mastering Mountain Biking Skills. It's available in print and as a download via kindle app. Once you get the book, read it. You will be amazed. Really.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Also, will the butt pain ever go away? Lol
I don't know, are you gone yet?

j/k

Get yourself a pair of padded chamois. That is the very first thing you do before purchasing any seat. This will help with the chafing.

Then seat options are available but they are more a personal preference.
One that seems to keep a lot of people happy is the WTB Pure V.
I like that one and the WTB Speed V also. Have not tried the Laser V or Rocket V but they seem to be nice too.

After that there is chamois creams available if you still have issues. I use them on longer road bike rides where the butt is in contact more with the saddle but on mountain bike rides I don't usually find them necessary but will use them as a precaution on a 40-50 mile day.

Lastly the only thing that you can't buy is seat time. So yeah, it gets better with time.

BTW, the craze doesn't begin until you eat, sleep and breathe mountain biking.
You will know you are there when you contemplate selling a kidney in order to support your habit. ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ride lots with people who are better than you. Slowly work your way up. Don't worry about not doing big drops if they are beyond you. Better to walk/take a work around and keep riding than case it and be laid up not able to ride for weeks.
I'd love to be able to do big jumps, but the body doesn't heal so fast anymore so I don't push it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I first started going out I just took it slow. As I progressed I could see myself getting faster and faster. Had a few falls but that is part of it. I am 56 years old and I am having a blast. I do a few jumps. I just do what I feel cozy doing.

·
EMBA Member
536 Posts
Ride lots with people who are better than you. Slowly work your way up. Don't worry about not doing big drops if they are beyond you. Better to walk/take a work around and keep riding than case it and be laid up not able to ride for weeks.
I'd love to be able to do big jumps, but the body doesn't heal so fast anymore so I don't push it.
Roger That!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts