Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that this combo should work fine...true? I have watched the videos/searched/etc...totally get the basics, and I plan on going ghetto (split tube) and mixing up my own sauce. Just a couple questions:

1. Can I effectively use a 26" tube on a 29er rim, or do I need to get 24" tubes?

2. After you have mounted a tire and cut the excess tube away, is it possible to unmount that tire and get it re-seated on the same tube, or do you need to use a new split tube every time you unmount a tire?

3. When and how can you use Gorilla Tape? Is it possible to use this instead of a tube in my application, or does it have to be a tubless specific rim or tire or something? I know nothing about using it, but I have some in the garage and I bet it's lighter than a tube.

Thanks in advance.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
WTB rims have a good hook. I would do the gorilla tape method (that's my plan anyways). I have a set of speeddisc xl rims that converted over well, but I haven't finished my speeddisc 29er AM wheels yet.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you use for a stem with gorilla tape? I don't know anything about this method...

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I've used the Ghetto Tube (a 26" tube will work fine BTW) and Gorilla Tape method on many tires on my SpeedDisc AM's. I was actually not able to get the Michelin AT's to seat with the Gorilla Tape method (see my blog for a pictorial on both methods, including using old valve stems) but was able to get it to seat almost instantly using the Ghetto Tube method. I may try the Gorilla Tape method again with these tires by filling in the center channel of the rim with Frost King 3/8" x 3/16" vinyl weatherstriping before using the Gorilla Tape to help the tire seat easier.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Gorilla tape method is well documented. There are even a few videos over on youtube. You can use stem from an old tube, a stan's stem, or even a mavic one. It really isn't rocket science. The relatively low pressure and use of sealant really make this quite easy.

I got my rear wheel built up tonight and installed a fresh gorilla tape strip on it. It went on well, but does take a bit of diligence to get it formed to the rim. It is cooking with a tube in it for now, to press the tape down better. After mounting the Michelin I am not sure it is the best candidate for tubeless. It isn't a very snug fit, so there is more potential for tire burping or even coming totally unseated. I will still give it a whirl, as a back tire I don't worry too much even if it blew off the rim I'd come out of it okay ;)

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
FWIW, I was using this tire on this rim, with a Stan's Strip, and it would seat, hold air for a couple of hours, and then lose pressure, or go off the bead the first hard turn (on the rear...). I finally gave up and put in a tube, as I like the tire for NorCal winter conditions... I think I'll try the ghetto method with that tire this next few weeks - I need to replace my worn Captain on the rear and the Michelin is in really good shape - I took it off as soon as things firmed up...

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys for the info. I do most of my bike homework at work, and blogs/youtube are blocked by the network filter... went home last night and read up on the gorilla method.

The Gorilla method sounds sweet for the ability to re-seat the tire without messing with a new tube like you wind up doing with the split tube method, but ATBScott just addressed what was going to be my next question... without the split tube between the bead of the tire and the rim, are you more likely to blow the bead with the Gorilla method? Sounds like you are...

I'm stoked to find out that I picked the right rims for the ghetto method. They're the 26mm SpeedDiscs...I'm reading lots of good stuff about how well tubless works on them.

Looking at my Michelin tire sitting on my rim, I'm confident that I could get it to seat using the Gorilla tape. I have a compressor and experience with motorcycle tires... but my worry is that it would blow off of the rim at a bad moment.... I'm 200 lbs.

What would you guys advise? Go with a split tube, or give Gorilla a shot?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
CommuterBoy said:
1. Can I effectively use a 26" tube on a 29er rim, or do I need to get 24" tubes?
Either will work.

CommuterBoy said:
2. After you have mounted a tire and cut the excess tube away, is it possible to unmount that tire and get it re-seated on the same tube, or do you need to use a new split tube every time you unmount a tire?
Yes, it is possible. I have done it on several occasions. It's not always a go or easy to do, but it can be done. You just have to work your fingers around the wheel, tire and tube and get everything as centered as possible before airing up. And even then, sometimes you have to let the air out and try again a few times until everything 'catches' correctly. You'll help yourself out if, when cutting the excess tube off once the tire is mounted, you don't cut super duper close to the edge of the rim so you leave a bit of excess material all around which makes the strip wider and easier to use if doing a remount later.

I use Wally World 24" or 26" Bell tubes which are like what? $2-3 a tube.

BB

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ I thought about rubber cement on the bottom of the split tube... would make for a messy install, but once it's there, it should stay put. It would have to be a thin coat so as not to mess with the bead though. You could probably go around with the rubber cement brush after wrapping the tube around the rim, before installing the tire, and just hit the upper edge of the split tube in the bead area (on the rim side of the split tube).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.