Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine and I are going to do some riding this weekend and I have yet to try out geronimo. Any tips?

I'm pretty comfortable going from the saddle near buena vista down both national and mormon.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Go that way...really fast...if something gets in your way...turn. :D

Awesome trail. If you can get down Natty without issue then you won't have many problems. I'm probably about the same skillset as you from what it sounds and I can make it down with only 2-3 spots that I'm a little skeered to try yet. Go Get Some!

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you're comfortable with natty down from the saddle you'll be fine down Geronimo. There are scarier things on natty than Geronimo.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only two things on national that are really pissing me off right now are:

1.) tight-ish squeeze between two boulders as you are making a turn with rock/wheel catchers in the middle of the boulders/rocks. Taking a higher line makes it easyier for me, but i went to slow and pogo-ed my way into an otb last time out. So i had to hike back up and clean it before I would continue.

2.) the very last rock drop before you come out of the trail (at the very end), i always feel like i'm going to OTB there, i just need to make sure I cut left. I tried going right-ish and went otb there as well because i ended up in like a 2' hole with no-where for my front wheel to go.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Pretty sure I know both spots ur talking about. I've had a couple catastrophes in those spots as well as others on Natty. Just give it a try and walk the parts ur not comfortable with. I guarantee it'll make you a better rider and will probably make some of the Natty stuff not quite as intimidating. I had to have someone really "push" me to try Geronimo the first time and couldn't be happier that he did. I'm assuming ur only talking about going down Geronimo? Never tried going up it myself so can't comment but would definitely be a challenge. Highly recommend leg and elbow armor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were talking about riding/hiking up to see what we were getting ourselves into and then shredding it down. Unless there is a significantly easier way, this is the option we'll probably take.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
Well I know at least for me that would be a TOUGH climb, but I'm not a very good climber. One option I like is to park at the bottom of Geronimo (boy scout camp lot), ride the roads over to the 24th St (Mormon) trailhead and ride/hike that up to Mormon/Natty. Ride Natty all the way to the BV lot and then drop down Geronimo to the car. Up 24th is pretty tough too but not near as tough to get to the top as I think getting up Geronimo would be. Plus you get to climb up the rest of Natty which is much more gradual. If you don't mind suffering on the climbs tho you might like to give Geronimo a whirl. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not a very good climber as well, in fact I mostly suck. I'm guessing it is going to be roughly like how I climb national to the junction of mormon. Ride some, hike more. haha.

We also might try to shuttle to the top and hit national down to javelina and leave a car at 46th street.

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Geronimo is fast and best done that way. Stay off the brakes and you'll have a lot more fun. Nothing too technical so keep the suspension nice and plush for the fast stuff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hit up Geronimo this morning. Good stuff, no body carnage however I think i got a ding on my rim. D'oh. Definitely a trail where you can pick up some speed. I almost lost it about 1/2 way down where there is exposure to the right and there is some rocky drop stuff - no crash, but not very graceful.

Would love to hit that on a full on dh sled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cenobite, you should definitely check it out. All in all a good challenge but nothing crazy. Some of the switchbacks were tight and as long as you kept weight off the front wheel it was easy enough to keep the tires on the trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts