Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Watch out for rattlesnakes there. Last time I rode that trail I ran into 4, and they were all in a bad mood. Now it is a spring or fall ride only for me!

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to try out this crazy trend of riding bikes in the sunlight!

No need to worry - no lights were used on this ride :D

Yep, Devil's Backbone in Loveland to Horestooth Reservoir in Ft Collins. Had the day off and wanted to do some new trail. Been thinking of this ride for some time and could not have picked a better day. Wasn't really thinking it was that many miles and was not planning on riding for that long so I only grabbed a liter of water and a Cliff bar. Lucky it was a cool morning and now thankful I started as early as I legally could. Ended up being about 25 miles as I took a wrong turn and did not realize it until I had already done a climb and noticed the trail started heading back south. Oh well, turn around and that climb just turned into a sweet descent.

Did another new trail to me (with no lights again) on Friday and did Hall Ranch in Lyons. What a super fun trail also :thumbsup: I think it may have rained Thursday night as the dirt was optimum. Was a little cool and muggy also that morning. Did Bitterbrush up, then Nelson Loop, and back down. We had to stop and laugh uncontrollably after completing the down portion of Nelson, that was fun. Had to smile at the first couple of riders we came upon as we were coming back down Bitterbrush. "What time you guys get started? We thought we were going to be the first on trail"

My hat's off to Boulder and Larimer Counties for these great trails. Already planning on doing both of these rides again real soon.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Riding in the shade of the Hogback on the way up to the reservoir was a welcome relief and a bonus to starting as soon as the sun came up. Was really paying attention for rattlers on my way back to the car as I went thru Devils Backbone. That is premium rattler habitat, lots of rocks to sun on. Did not see any, at least did not notice any.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Haven't ridden the Devil's Backbone in at least ten years, cool spot and a cool name for a trail. Do you have to buy a day pass for that area? Or is it Horsetooth? And if Horsetooth is next to Devil's Backbone, does that make it the Neighbor of the Beast?

·
slow
7,472 Posts
You can make an entire day of it by adding the Indian Summer Loop, an out and back on Rimrock, and any amount of exploring in Horsetooth Mountain Park and Lory State Park. I can easily do 40+ miles on these trails without ever being more than 8 miles from my front door (as the crow flies).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts