Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went dirt jumping for the first time and it was very fun. The dirt jump place is at the end of the trail, and today I got the courage to hit some of them. Its just that all of them are gaps, so they were a bit intimidating to me. Anyway, I had a great time, and now i want to go again tomorrow! Just wanted to know if there are any good tips for beginners.

Also, I was wondering if Rockshox Psylo's are decent forks for trails and light dirt jumping.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for telling me about the psylos! Also, I was also thinking of getting something like Drop Off IV's, or if I can wait and save up my money, Pikes.

BTW, I have maxxis holy rollers, and i love them. Just wanted to let ppl know that.

Thanks for your responses. :)

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Pike 426 Coil U Turn. Go to your LBS. I scored mine for $410 brand new.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
nice to hear... it def. is addicting for sure!
just keep your knees off the stem, your balls off the tt, and your pedal pins out of your shins... haha, not to scare though.... just remember, speed is your friend (to a point), try to avoid the lock-up or "dead sailor" in the air. Most riders naturally whip or table to one side better than the other, and learning to do this unconciously can help you from becoming a dead sailor by moving your bike in the air and maintaining your flow and balance. just aim your front tire for the top of the landing tranny, and you shouldn't have much to worry about coming up short on the gaps (although I have no idea what these jumps you are hitting look like).
and I think the psylos will be just fine, a lot of people used to race mtx on those, not to mention it's way better than what I see a lot of people learning to dj on!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If you get a DJ3 get a 2003. The 2004/2005 is SUPER heavy. It's rediculous. The 2002 had cracking problems. The 2003 was less problematic. I still managed to break a 2003 DJII. I'm not a big fan of Marzocchi, 3 broken forks, no warranty or any real service.

The Pike is awesome.

The Drop-Off is probably too tall for DJ.

Get a Sherman and permanently reduce the travel.

Hell, if you're good enough, go full rigid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just started to really get into jumping this year.
Important thing I try to remember is to not try to rush to the landing. Don't lean forward too much (or too early) and try to put your weight on your feet as your going up the frontside of a jump, then explode off the lip.

When I started doubles always got to me, but usually when you go for a jump your front wheel will clear the landing and you might case the rear, which is fine cause the next time you won't and rear casing on a mountain bike aint too bad

·
Registered
26 Posts
rafg is the only one posting tips for DJing. Are there any more tips? I hit a tiny double and cased it going pretty fast on my hardtail Trek. The one time I made it, I landed back first and bottomed the forks hard. I'm used to a 300lb dirtbike. What should I do? any tecniques to practice.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Three things:
1. You'll crash when you half ass something. You need to commit, and hit it. Don't wimp out at the last second. That's how you get hurt.
2. Speed is your friend (this kind of goes along with the first point). Obviously, going really freakin' fast isn't so hot, but you need to be moving when you hit jumps.
3. Experiment with which foot you feel comfortable leading with. This can help a lot. I had a friend who didn't feel comfortabel jumping at all, but once he tried to lead with his opposite foot, he way better. Once you get better, it's good to learn to lead with either foot, but to start off, pick one and stick with it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, all the jumps at my trail are gaps, so theyre a bit intimidating. But i got the gut to do it, and after less than a week i can do a line (i think thats what you call it) where you go off one jump then another one after another. cant do any tricks yet though. Anyway, on saturday my friend fell off a dirt jump (landed funny) and got winded and eventually got a concussion, which kinda scared me a bit. (its also his fault he didnt wear a helmet.

But I heard this kid say to his friend that when you go off, you pull up and you "arc"so that you kinda try to land on both of your wheels at the same time on the landing. Right?

Thanks, your responses have helped me a lot:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.