Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i admit i'm a noob on MTB hydraulic brakes. But i do like to have a go. So when my MTB's front brakes started playing up, i went ahead and purchased the avid bleed kit instead of taking it to the LBS. However i failed miserably.

I couldn't push / suck any of the fluid through either from the lever or the caliper. I set the reach adjustment to about 75mm, which didn't help. I tried it tight and i tried it loose. I felt that if i pushed the syringe any harder i would of broken it. So i left things be. Both clamps were open, i managed to suck a little out the lever, but now i probably have air, as it sucked it all back in soon as i let go of the syringe.

I'll probably take it to the LBS, unless anyone has any idea's ? I was thinking about taking the cables apart, but thought i best stop before i make more of mess of things than they already are.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
The lever piston needs to be full retracted to open the transfer port between the reservoir and cylinder. Reach adjustment doesn't affect this. Free stroke adjustment (if present) does so should be adjusted to full out...maximum free stroke. The piston blocking the transfer port is the only thing that can block fluid flow. If the flow is still blocked, it is usually due to debris clogging the system. Pushing reasonably forcefully in one direction or the other may free up the obstruction.

In some Avid/Sram levers, the piston can get tight and stuck preventing it from fully retracting. This usually necessitates replacement. As a stopgap, you can remove the hose from the lever and use a thin blunt instrument to push through the fluid hole and move the piston back allowing you to bleed the brake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ thanks. Unfortunately this wasn't my problem. I gave it another go today. Again same deal. I couldn't push fluid through the system. So i took everything apart, and tested the caliper, the lever and the cable. I could push fluid through the lever and the caliper, but wasn't able to do so through the cable. No problem i thought ! I'll just blow out whatever crap is in the cable. I have a large powerful compressor in my garage. But nope !!! Couldn't push anything out for love nor money ! I guess my cable is really blocked with something.

Anyway at this stage i guess i have two options. One replace the cable, or replace the entire system for Shimano.

I'm not sure being this my only hydraulic bike brake system, if the cables are proprietary to the brand, model or if they're generic and easily replaceable.

I wonder if a perished o-ring got itself lodged in the cable. I can't think of anything else that wouldn't allow 150psi of air to blow it out. At least i found the problem.. What's the best way forward? Just buy a new hydraulic system and be done with Avid ?

Any considerations when replacing? The bike is a 26" Marin. Also the bike is only for light use. Actually its my wife's. Trust me, living in FL she doesn't do any downhil !! lol just relaxing cycles on asphalt. So i don't need anything fancy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ended up buying some Shimano's MT201's which were a breeze to install. I had to get a special bracket for the shifter triggers as they were mounted using part of the same old brake lever bracket. So that had to be changed.

I will say whatever was in that cable wasn't coming out. I fished some wire down there and got all the way til an inch. I used needles which snapped and once of which sliced me up, brake fluid cleaner, compressed air. Guess its true what others have said. Avid are truly that crap. Just wish i hadn't wasted money on a bleed kit for avids. oh well, live and learn as they say.

Not only did i slice my finger up in all this, but i shot brake fluid all across my garage, all over my motorcylces as one of my syringes came apart as i was trying to push fluid through. Spent an hr being sure to wash all the splats that made themselves all over the place. Frickin nightmare those Avids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.