Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

[crossposted due to SS content]

I'm getting ready to throw-down on the parts for my first wheelset build, and would love some input from the experienced so I don't go mixing apples with oranges as far as my parts selection goes. I've decided on a Paul Word Disc rear with WI freewheel, and Paul Disc front. based on that, can you suggest a set of rims and spokes (and what size, or how do I figure that out?) that would make most sense as far as the value of the hubs I've chosen? Wheel size will be 26", riding style for this bike would be aggresive XC, I'm ~175 lbs sans gear I think.

Thanks in advance,

-pete

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Just search for spoke calculator on google, DT Swiss has one on their site... I would look at the DT 4.2d rims... I'm looking at those for an SS wheelset myself..

·
donkey
263 Posts
I just built some similar wheels; paul word disc on salsa delgado rims. I used DT spokes. I really love the salsa rims for their width, durability, and look. For aggressive xc, a wider rim (for wider tires) may be in order... check out the delgados.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My only word of recommendation is to slightly overbuild your SS wheelset in terms of strength and durability. You will just get alot less flex when hammering out of the saddle-and it will feel much faster while keeping you off the trueing stand or back to the bikeshop for new rims.

Given that-- the $ no object choice at your weight would be Dt.5series rims and Dt Aerolite forged bladed spokes. At 175lbs this would be a super stout and overbuilt setup. I ride this setup at 235lbs on a f/s rig and am going to do the same on my SS first chance they need a rebuild.

If weight is a concern- you could drop down to the Dt4.1d rim with the Aerolites and sacrifice little in terms of stiffness. The durability might slightly go down compared to the dt5series rim-but for your 175lbs it would still feel very stiff and responsive while being termed "overbuilt" for your weight.

Moving out of the super pricey aerolites---you could easily go with the DT Supercomps in the rear-mated to the Dt4.1d rims and again be termed durable for your size. Jumping to the 5 series rim might add some durability if you feel you arent as smooth and flawless a rider.

One can be aggressive but still a very smooth rider. A better question might be- how have wheels lasted you in the past?? Do you occasionally misjudge sections/lines and over aggressively plow through what might be termed as "not the best line"........or are you just a smart ass rider who seems to attack tricky sections but always seem to smooth them out? IF the former is true--you might errr on the slightly more durable rimset and slightly heavier spoke choice until you can get a wheelset to outlast a chain-lifes worth of riding.

The above recommendations are for 32hole hubs. w.36 you might be able to get away with Dt revos(the thicker butted ones) in the front rim but i wouldnt go there in the rear unless you were a smooth rider. The supercomps would be the way to go.

I havent checked the Paul Word spacing but assuming the front and rear use the same spoke size....id just stick with whatever you choose in terms of rear wheel spokes for cost savings if you are buying spokes by the box.

also- for singlespeed i like 3cross w/32hole and lighter spokes like Dt revos(in the thicker butting). w.36hole you might get away with 2cross with aerolites and a little bit more tension that those require.

Dont worry about weight with the spoke calc. - If weight is a concern- the place to address it is really in the hubset first and foremost. For bang for the buck durability---a straight guage spoke in those hubs will set you back very little $$$s and mated to almost any welded rim--should be super durable.

If you are just brutally tough on wheels--- Velocity v-type rims are cheap and have verrry good vertical load hit-taking ability. They do need to be laced fairly tight to keep the lateral weakness in check tho.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a big fan of Marwi spokes. They are hard to find sometimes but worth the hunt. Also the Stainless models are about half the cost of DT with all the reliability.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.