Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all:

I'm getting ready to throw-down on the parts for my first wheelset build, and would love some input from the experienced so I don't go mixing apples with oranges as far as my parts selection goes. I've decided on a Paul Word Disc rear with WI freewheel, and Paul Disc front. based on that, can you suggest a set of rims and spokes (and what size, or how do I figure that out?) that would make most sense as far as the value of the hubs I've chosen? Wheel size will be 26", riding style for this bike would be aggresive XC, I'm ~175 lbs sans gear I think.

Thanks in advance,

-pete

·
Registered
599 Posts
pahearn said:
Hey all:

I'm getting ready to throw-down on the parts for my first wheelset build, and would love some input from the experienced so I don't go mixing apples with oranges as far as my parts selection goes. I've decided on a Paul Word Disc rear with WI freewheel, and Paul Disc front. based on that, can you suggest a set of rims and spokes (and what size, or how do I figure that out?) that would make most sense as far as the value of the hubs I've chosen? Wheel size will be 26", riding style for this bike would be aggresive XC, I'm ~175 lbs sans gear I think.

Thanks in advance,

-pete
I'd go with 2.0/1.8/2.0 butted spokes laced 3 cross in mavic 819 rims. You can look up the length of spokes you need on the DT Swiss website - they have an online spoke calculator.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
thats exactly what I would recommend and exactly what I'm building my wheels up with right now!

but I would suggest using spoke calc, a downloadable excel file that you can use to calculate your needed spoke length.

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

FWIW I wound-up using the spokecalc spreadsheet to calculate things, and went with Mavic XC 717s and DT Comp 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes. Looking forward to the build, thanks again for the help. ;)

-pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.