Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchsed (have not even picked it up yet) a Voodoo Bokor frame a 26er that I can run either geared or SS.

http://www.voodoocycles.net/bokor.htm

I already have two geared hardtails: On One Summer Season (2x9) and Fetish Cycles Discipline (3x9), so I thought I would run this single speed. I have been riding for a good long while, but am still fairly hard on my parts, as finesse loses out to determination in my life every time.

I am in no rush to build so thought I would gather some info from you guys if you do not mind. Looking for reliability as job #1, with not being too heavy as job #2. Don't know what "not too heavy means, but if this build could be 24-25 pounds or less, I would consider that a win. I am fairly heavy at about 190, not a great climber (looking to ss to train for that). Figuring that puts me at the 32x20, or even 30x20 if I can find it. I would like your input on that. I prefer coil forks, wide bars and love a great deal. Most of the components I buy are either used or leftover. I do not have a budget exactly, but always looking for that good deal. I am open to your suggestions and consider myself a newbie in the world of SS. Fire away and thanks.

John

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Yo. I'd get an XT hub based wheel because they are pretty solid and cheap. Salsa Gordo/Rhyno Lite rims? I dunno, I think the combo would be a solid wheelset for cheap.

Start looking on Chainlove for your brakes. This afternoon they had BB7s listed for 34ish each.

Ebay always has a Deore DX crank available. Get a solid square taper BB and you've got a pretty solid and cheap crank and BB combo.

Get homebrewed components chainring and cog. It'll make you happy to have a competent and trouble free drivetrain from the get go. Buy a SRAM 8 speed chain.

Since you have a couple bikes, I'd really look towards a rigid fork for variety. They are cheap enough that it won't be a huge deal if you end up hating it. I have a Manitou R7 I really like and I've seen them go for 150 on ebay in good condition.

Anyway, hope 'advice' filled with my biases is ok.

EDIT- I like my ODI Ruffian grips. I have a 660mm carbon bar with a 31.8 clamp. Not sure if it is any smoother than an aluminum bar, but the wider the clamp certainly is stiffer, so the width and stiffness is nice for torquing up climbs without being so wide that I have trouble slipping through trees...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Umarth. This is exactly the kind of info (including your opinions and preferences) that I am looking for. For example, I knew nothing of the homebrew site.

I have also considered rigid at least to start. The Bokor is optimized for a 100mm suspension fork, how do I know what rigid fork to get?

Thanks and keep it coming :)

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
The best way to find out is to measure the sag on the bike yourself. When you get the bike closer to built up, slap the 100mm fork from your Discipline on there and measure it. I think a 445 a-c would be pretty ok. There are more considerations, of course. The Bokor has a much steeper HA than either of your other bikes, so I would assume you'd want to keep it steeper because it will climb better. As for fork recommendations... the main thing I look for is steel and straight bladed. My MC Flight has my favorite looking fork and I think it rides nice. I would say that a rigid fork is a rigid fork, but I had a Karate Monkey and I hated the stock fork.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.