Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it ain't California but I think the EL Ciclon might like it here in Derbyshire !

She even bought some sunshine with her - or is that just the glow from the cosmic orange paint ?!!

And the local Singletrack isn't too bad...

The bike felt great - not too dissimilar to the Epiphany (which is a good thing) but certainly stiffer and with a more 'bottomless' feel to the suspension - I think the 07 Vanilla fork has met its match...

Cornering is fantastic - feels like you steer from your backside - I think I might finally be able to do switchbacks on this !

Climbing suprised me - on a steep test climb the front wheel stayed glued to the ground - it lifted on the Epi which I thought might climb better..

Across rocks like this..

it tracked superbly and didn't once get pushed off line - to be honest I was much less careful on my line choice on the El Ciclon but I didn't pay for it :)

All in all a great first ride - bring on the Summer !

Oh more photo's here if anyone is interested - yes it looks dull and grey compared to where you Americans live but its home - and the beers not bad :)

http://gallery127265.fotopic.net/c1200704.html

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for the pix

This is one of the reasons I enjoy mtbr so much. It's a joy to see photos of where people ride around the world. It sounds like the Ciclon is a welcome member to the stable. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
HI Justa, I'm sure you will enjoy your El Ciclon, I have an El salt and an X5 and the only bike I have looked at since I joined the 'club', ironicallly, is an Epiphany; I'd be interested in your opinions once you have put a few miles under the wheels. Interesting that your Ciclon is a 'she', I've never really thought of Ventanas as female, probably because of the robust, bombproof nature, definitely not 'girly'.

Are the trails in Derbyshire as dry as they look, my local patch (Epping Forest) is still thick clag

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello :)

the trail above is very sandy and drains really well - some of the other trails were hard going,

The Epi is a nice bike - at the moment I'd say its kind of a light weight, flexier El Ciclon..

Erm guess I call it a she as I don't like the thought of riding a he ?!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice bike!

Just a question... how does the vanilla fork match the El Ciclon? People here seem to say that the Pike is a better match due to through-axle stiffness. Did they 'get along' well together?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers TJT - I thought the Vanilla really suited the EL Ciclon - its nice and plush, stiff and progressive. It was always stiffer than the Epiphany but like I say its met its match :)

For me personally the Vanilla is stiff enough - I've had a Pike and they are good but I don't think the Van is to far off a Pike in terms of tracking and stiffness...

Depends what riding your doing though - maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.