Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new ML just came in and was built. Got it out for the first ride yesterday. I only got in an hour or so, before thunderstorms whipped through, and Iam still dialing in the fit and the suspension. Pretty nice ride, climbs fairly well and descends awesome! :thumbsup: I will need some time on it to get the feel especially with technical climbing, as this is my first time on a 5 inch bike, and I am still making adjustments. Does anyone else set up the fit like their racer-x ?

I have it spec'd with:
Talas fork
XTR cranks, wheels, cogs, pedals
XO Rear DR
X9 shifters
Magura marta sl brakes
Easton post/stem
Kenda Nev 2.0 rear, 2.35 front
Size small 08 ML
25.83 pounds

Can't wait to ride again today.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks great!

I am thinking about making the jump from a Racer-X to a Motolite and would love to hear
a ride report after you get some time on the bike.

·
Registered
540 Posts
very nice

Ellen,
So its completed? Nice! I never had a racerX but I tend to have the font end a little soft, an 08 Float 140RLC. The rear I have at 30% sag and PP level 1. I think i can have it on 2 for the fire roads at Ringwood and leave it open for the rock gardens and DHs. Ill have to try position 2 next time. The ML is awsome on BlueBerry and the switchbacks on Red going down to School house.

I also noticed Im liking it with a 90mm stem instead of the 110 i had on there before. Hopefully Geof will be biulding my wheelset sometime this week. Kyle's RacerX came in and the way he pieced it together, mmm mmm.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got out for another ride today, about 3+ hours, on super technical, rocky, short ups and downs and did I say rocky. All I can is .... WOW!! This is one sweet bike. Just what I was looking to play with. There must be some similarity between it and the racer-x, because there were many tight turns with rocks in them, that I split my tires around and nailed it every time. I don't normally ride that accurately on a new bike. You don't even need to hover through rocks, just sit back and plow. It seems like it will climb up a wall if you have the gas. And the downhills are awesome. I felt real secure and loose. I even clipped a tree at speed and rode out the deflection. Pretty cool.

I think I had the fork at 120mm the whole time. My stem is 110 with a flat bar but I may try a low riser with more sweep, before I mess with the stem.

After a week off the bike for back injuries, I was thrilled to be out riding today. And besides all this cool new bike stuff going on, I also came across two set of turkey families with babies and a small herd of deer with fawns while on the trail. Good ride indeed.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
pixy said:
I got out for another ride today, about 3+ hours, on super technical, rocky, short ups and downs and did I say rocky. All I can is .... WOW!! This is one sweet bike. Just what I was looking to play with. There must be some similarity between it and the racer-x, because there were many tight turns with rocks in them, that I split my tires around and nailed it every time. I don't normally ride that accurately on a new bike. You don't even need to hover through rocks, just sit back and plow. It seems like it will climb up a wall if you have the gas. And the downhills are awesome. I felt real secure and loose. I even clipped a tree at speed and rode out the deflection. Pretty cool.

I think I had the fork at 120mm the whole time. My stem is 110 with a flat bar but I may try a low riser with more sweep, before I mess with the stem.

After a week off the bike for back injuries, I was thrilled to be out riding today. And besides all this cool new bike stuff going on, I also came across two set of turkey families with babies and a small herd of deer with fawns while on the trail. Good ride indeed.
Sounds like you already have the ML dialed in. Looks great too. Congratulations!

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
pixy said:

Sweet looking bike, it's a great color.:thumbsup:

As others have noted, you may like a bit short stem (in the 90-100mm range).

Enjoy the ride.:D

i1dry?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
pixy said:
I have noticed many posts referring to shorter stems. Does anyone have more specific information to why shorter is preferred? Is it more for jumping or comfort? Thanks ...pixy
It moves your weight backwards, which helps in all kind of technical situations except uphill.

But for some reason, Titus bikes take the shorter stem very well, not compromising climbing too much.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
My ML climbed better with a shorter stem. More traction in the rear, and the front seemed easier to control as far as wheele flop. It just seemed to climb a lot "tighter" on the steep tech. I'd first try the riser bars though. If you go with a shorter stem you might want a little wider bar to balance out the steering otherwise she might get twitchy. Get the risers and try shifting them back a little, and see how that feels.

Love the the color! I hadn't even seen that one?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have my ML set up more like an XC bike than a trail bike, which is how I ride. I have not a Racer-X, but I have had other fast/race bikes. The bar is a couple inches lower than the seat and I have a Reba set at 115mm. Most of the rest of build is fairly XC-ish. Oh, and I have the frame set at 130mm, not 100mm.

The ML is great for an XC/long-travel-race bike! I only got mine last winter, but my lap times at my favorite trail are in-line with any other fast bike I have had. And of course, with about 5" of travel I can float through whatever the trail throws at me!

I ride a large frame, so my set up may not be much help. I am using a 100mm stem, angled down, with a 3/4" rise Monkeylite bar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.