Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm leaning towards the Cool Mtn bike race near Grass Valley CA March 12. It seems like a late start, but its the only March race within a 3 hr drive. But because of work & other committments I can't start my season 100% until April 15, so maybe the date is ok. I've heard its a total mudfest, so I will probably ride my single speed to cut down on equipment wear & tear.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
me too....12 hours of temecula. however, being off a bike (at least a real bike and not a lifecycle) for 4 weeks concerns me a bit but then again, i am not competitive.

assuming i can get into decent shape over my 2 week Christmas break and assuming i can escape that weekend, i am there as well.

cheers

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
Arrowhead 135,
Actually an ultra marathon, the first week of Frebruary. It is in northern Minnesota. My expectation is to finish, if i make my expectation I will be happy. So far in my training the snow has been beating the crap out of me.

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you guys are really loading up on the endurance oriented events early! I'm guessing this is part of your planned base training? I'm planning to do a couple of easy road centuries in Feb & March for that purpose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
LemurianGuy said:
Wow, you guys are really loading up on the endurance oriented events early! I'm guessing this is part of your planned base training? I'm planning to do a couple of easy road centuries in Feb & March for that purpose.
Planned base training? Hum … that sounds really cool. I only wish I knew what that meant. I'm guessing it's something that could help me.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
24 Hours in the Old Pueblo - SOLO debut on Presidents Day Weekend (mid-Feb., Tucson, AZ) - and to win, er - unless Tinker or Sportsman show up!

Honestly though - looking to ride consistently and strong - and feel that I should fair pretty well with my ace pit crew (wife) and the massive endurance base I'm putting in now, at altitude (Santa Fe) and in the FREAKIN' BITTER COLD! Well, not upper-midwest bitter cold - but teens and low 20's as daytime highs with WIND feel mighty chilly!

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
TBF Races @ Granite Bay

LemurianGuy said:
When & where? What are your expectations, if any?
on January 29th, metalic clavicle and all! So my only expectations are not to test it and stay upright on the bike! This will be my first race back since the Lemurian in April and missing out on the rest of the season.

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JMac47 said:
on January 29th, metalic clavicle and all! So my only expectations are not to test it and stay upright on the bike! This will be my first race back since the Lemurian in April and missing out on the rest of the season.
Uh-oh...sounds like you crashed and broke your collar bone last spring? I didn't know that, glad it didn't happen at Lemurian. Hope it goes well for you at Granite Bay.

Glenzx: You're doing base now instead of hating the weight room like the rest of us?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
LemurianGuy said:
Glenzx: You're doing base now instead of hating the weight room like the rest of us?
Funny you ask that... and the answer is yes and no. This year I'm doing the Anatomical Adaptation phase by hitting the gym 2X a week, jogging on the treadmill to warm up, then do high rep/low weight work - but will likely go from this AA phase right to a "maintanence mode" thereafter - instead of piling plates on the squat bar and doing those monster low-rep heavy duty sets. Instead, I'll be doing my power work on bike, with (after thorough warm up!) those mega hard low RPM hill repeats - both on the road and mountain bikes. The gym will really be just for working all that neglected connective tissue and those non-cycling muscles - especially core and upper body. The early-ish base is for a couple of reasons - one being that the 24 ITOP race will be my solo debut, so I want to get ahead of the base curve and log some monster LSD rides between now and then. In the meantime, our team rides have kept it MIGHTY spicy of late, with those good, hard 2.5-4 hour rides chasing (and pulling on good days!) my CAT 1/2 buddies. A lot of times I'll go ride for 1-2 hours EASY prior to those rides, keeping hydrated and geled up - then try and survive. The really hard days I do road bike hill work AFTER the team ride torture!

But the short answer is no - no hypertrophy or other such in-gym torture for me this winter, though I'll be in the gym for easier high rep stuff as noted.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Thumbs up to no or very little gym :) I'll be doing a little upper body and core work but thats it. Single Speed 1-2 per week for the rest.
I may do a TBF race like Jeff mentioned or race the SS at the Cool race. They put all the Experts and Pro's together and they do 3 laps, so fock that! I'll get my ass kicked racing in the SS division. Never have raced SS before, should be painfull!

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
What'd you say?

glenzx said:
Funny you ask that... and the answer is yes and no. This year I'm doing the Anatomical Adaptation phase by hitting the gym 2X a week, jogging on the treadmill to warm up, then do high rep/low weight work - but will likely go from this AA phase right to a "maintanence mode" thereafter - instead of piling plates on the squat bar and doing those monster low-rep heavy duty sets. Instead, I'll be doing my power work on bike, with (after thorough warm up!) those mega hard low RPM hill repeats - both on the road and mountain bikes. The gym will really be just for working all that neglected connective tissue and those non-cycling muscles - especially core and upper body. The early-ish base is for a couple of reasons - one being that the 24 ITOP race will be my solo debut, so I want to get ahead of the base curve and log some monster LSD rides between now and then. In the meantime, our team rides have kept it MIGHTY spicy of late, with those good, hard 2.5-4 hour rides chasing (and pulling on good days!) my CAT 1/2 buddies. A lot of times I'll go ride for 1-2 hours EASY prior to those rides, keeping hydrated and geled up - then try and survive. The really hard days I do road bike hill work AFTER the team ride torture!

But the short answer is no - no hypertrophy or other such in-gym torture for me this winter, though I'll be in the gym for easier high rep stuff as noted.
Glen, could you translate all that hiteck info to english for me? Heh...following your posts sure shows the ball$ out passion you have for the sport. Way ta go! I was to be on a 24 ITOP team "5 Hosemen & a Dick" last year but came down with the flu pretty bad the week before. That wouldn't have been a good race to try to *recover in* with the weather being what it was during the night.

Best wishes on your solo encounter!

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Very glad it wasn't.........

LemurianGuy said:
Uh-oh...sounds like you crashed and broke your collar bone last spring? I didn't know that, glad it didn't happen at Lemurian. Hope it goes well for you at Granite Bay.
......at that race! If any course, that one should have been the one to toss me! :rolleyes: Would've been a long, sore car ride back home to the Bay Area. Yep, Fathers Day. Clavicle, tore up AC joint & surgery.

Granite Bay races are great, pretty smooth, not technical, we'll see. Will be watching the weather channel closely to enter the Cool race, as I was spoiled 2 years ago. It was favorable weather leading up to race day leaving the course pretty decent, rather then the usual mudfest!! I heard last year Mother Nature evened the score!

I'll say hey if I see you up there.

·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to race at Cool since its about the only early season race that's close to me. It would be even better if you & Merlin were there. I've never raced single speed before, but think it would add special pain to such an early season race. I'd love to got to Sea Otter, but the timing is wrong. Big conflict with my April 15th tax deadline. I hate it when work gets in the way of racing bikes!

Napa Dirt Classic is my likely first "real" race of the season.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
I ran the SS

LemurianGuy said:
I'd like to race at Cool since its about the only early season race that's close to me. It would be even better if you & Merlin were there. I've never raced single speed before, but think it would add special pain to such an early season race. I'd love to got to Sea Otter, but the timing is wrong. Big conflict with my April 15th tax deadline. I hate it when work gets in the way of racing bikes!

Napa Dirt Classic is my likely first "real" race of the season.
and placed 5th, but in the geared 40-49 age cat. I see they have the SS'rs age spilt @ 36 this year, but @ 48 I'd have Rick, Roger & a whole lot more Expert speedsters to contend with. Maybe if it's reeeeely muddy.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
JMac47 said:
Glen, could you translate all that hiteck info to english for me? Heh...following your posts sure shows the ball$ out passion you have for the sport. Way ta go! I was to be on a 24 ITOP team "5 Hosemen & a Dick" last year but came down with the flu pretty bad the week before. That wouldn't have been a good race to try to *recover in* with the weather being what it was during the night.

Best wishes on your solo encounter!
LOL - OK, I suppose that all did come off as crazy techo-training talk. A basic training model as laid out by Joe Friel would have you essentially off the bike in the fall for a little while - letting everything heal up, recover, and rejuvinate, then ease back into riding longer mellow rides, while beginning a weights regimen. The "Anatomical Adaptation" phase is where you start with low weights higher reps to "wake up" and utilize the muscles you'll later be stressing with "Maximum Strength" workouts - higher eight and lower reps. Typically one should spend about 1/3rd of the off-season weights work doing this easier stuff, then finish up with some pretty heavy duty stuff later - all the while taking every 3rd or 4th week ver easy for full recovery(s).

I did this last year and found I got maybe a little heavier than I wanted! It seemed to reinforce explosiveness some, but I've always had that short term power... so this season I'll be doing more of the high-stress stuff (sort of equivalent to squats say) on the bike, where I'll be nice and warmed up, then start say 2-4 minute very low cadence (40-50rpm's) climbing intervals/repeats. It is unbelievable how well these translate into race-day power! I will say that the gym workouts are/were good for strengthening all that connective tissue (ligaments and tendons and such) around my knees, but I also had a few minor spells of knee discomfort early spring time, which I attributed to the squats. Funny how you gain some - and lose some with most anything! Sticking to bike-specific strength training ought to help prevent a lot of the discomfort I had - but I'll still try and cross train (jog, ellipitical machine, backcountry snowboard/skin - if we ever get snow!) to work other muscles and such.

The other component noted was "Base" - meaning base miles, which are those early season, non-race-pace mello rides that ought to last for 2-6 hours. 1-2 times a week I'll get those in - usually on the road bike, and the point is to build sow-twitch muscle endurance, which allows you to go and go and go without fatigue. Lastly, the core/upper body stuff is my biggest weakness, as in a 3-5 hour race, it's almost never my legs and almost always my shoulders/upper back that get wrecked! Good upper body workouts include lat-pull downs, seated rowing, push-ups, and so on. Core is all about abdomen - so situps on an incline bench - or just crunches at home work OK.

The key? Putting all the pieces together so that you've got endurance to last a whole race, the top-end "punch" for chasing/passing/sprinting/short climbing, and the whole-body conditioning, strength, and flexibility to be able to be comfortable in all those positions, after beating the crap out of yourself! More important is proper rest, diet, & health after races, and hard workouts, and life in general. 2 seasons ago I rode, and rode, and rode some more - always hard & fast, and by mid-season was COOKED. I was at an all-time low of 162 pounds but was constantly sore and unable to put out ANY power at all. Then I learned from an excellent coach and mentor about rest. 2 hards days - 1-2 days rest and/or easy. 1 hard day - 1 moderate day, then rest/easy. You likely get the picture...

So - the short version is I'm working on keeping my core & upper body limber and strong, and riding more "base" miles/hours than normally would happen this early in the season in preparation for what ought to be an epic undertaking as a solo racer freak this February!

Damn good you did not attempt OP last year while sick - you seriously could have wrecked yourself with that weather and a flu! Gonna give it a go this year?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.