Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to race this weekend without dead legs. Its a 2 man 12 hour relay race. Easy course, but may be slow due to recent rain.

My conditioning isn't where it should be....

I usually run @ 90 to 99% of my max heart rate on my 1st lap due to excitement whatnot and end up about 70 to 80% there after.

Question: if i keep my hr under 80% on the 1st lap by slowing down. Would this help my legs from feeling numb during later laps?

-lowmach

·
Registered
466 Posts
Numb legs?

Running too high a heart rate will eat tons of energy and will mean you are going to be largely anaerobic. You would likely have lots of lactic acid buildup in your legs. This means your legs should be sore, not numb. If your legs are literally numb, you have either a circulation issue or a neurological issue. This would be a medical condition and not due to how high your heart rate goes. Ie, time to see a doctor!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

ok maybe I shouldn't have used the word numb.

more like pumped up like the way your muscles feel after a dramatic weight lifting workout.

I'm looking for my best chance to do my portion of the laps without having my legs go into the pumped like fatigue feeling.

I know in the past my hr on the first lap is always higher then the rest and was wondering if it contributed to my legs losing strength sooner then later.

I'm just curious if I can stay under my lactate threshold then maybe I could perform better in the entire race and like lyndaW mentioned, "feel better by the end".

I would sacrifice my first lap time if it meant better times over the next 5-6 laps.

Now if my hr spikes into the 85+% range at all will it cause lactic build up in my legs or does it have to be a 85+% maintained?

thanks
-Low

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
lowmach said:
I'm just curious if I can stay under my lactate threshold then maybe I could perform better in the entire race and like lyndaW mentioned, "feel better by the end".

I would sacrifice my first lap time if it meant better times over the next 5-6 laps.
I wouldn't call following a specific pacing strategy to make you go faster a "sacrifice".

Ride the first lap at 5-10 bpm below your threshold heart rate. Get a lap split for that lap. Aim to ride the same split on each lap (unless the conditions change vastly). On lap #2 this may take a higher HR but stay under your threshold HR and on laps #3+ this will take lower heart rates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.