Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as you know it's been raining in the valley for a few days and today, wednesday, we're supposed to have another downpour. :rolleyes:

a few friends and i have been talking about doing an epic c-ride at mcdowell mtn park for some time. however, the terrain out there does not absorb and drain rain very well, as many of you have experienced in the past. the trails get very rutted, sandy and the soil becomes a very sticky wet clay.

anyway, here's the ride plan with two options:
1. ccw on pemberton to dixie mine - coachwhip - windmill*. turn around
back to pemberton at which point we could go left back to bluffs (~27
miles) or right on pemberton to parking (~23 miles).
2. cw on pemberton to tonto, left on pemberton to dixie mine. the rest
would be the same. (21 or 17 miles)

* at this point, more adventurous riders can do the loop up bell pass to prospector and dixie mine.

SO, i'm asking all c-riders interested in this proposed epic ride what they think. should we ride or postpone to the 27th or maybe even jan 3 or 10?

faq: what's a c-ride?
a casual, social ride on not-too-technical trails by intermediate riders who ride at a slower pace and make often stops to rest, chit-chat, take pics or videos, and the like. the focus is camaraderie and riding relatively close together, as a group. a c-ride is a no pressure ride! if you're a fast rider who likes to conquer the trail in as little time as possible, these rides will more than likely bore you as you wait (or not) for the rest of the group. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
HI Kaboose,

Unless it's pouring rain late Fri night or Sat morning I will be there.
Might have a mtbr riding buddy Grendel with me. :thumbsup:

Maybe some of the other riders can give beta of the trail conditions
on the included routes after rains. ie dixie mine, coachwhip, windmill
and possibly wingate pass overlook from MMP

Rod
 

·
Black and Sticky
Joined
·
771 Posts
Let's Ride!

I am planning on being there Saturday one way or another. My only problem is transportation. I got rear ended this week and I have to figure out a way to transport my bike in my other car. But I think I got that figured out. Anyway, I say let's ride!

Oh forgot to answer your question Kaboose. Why don't we do a C-ride on all the days you mention! Actually Jan 3 is out since that is the Fiesta Bowl parade and it goes right by my house. I have been waiting over 10 years to see the Texas Longhorn band march down Central Ave. and I can't miss that (Hook 'em!). But other days are fine.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the r-end hope your ok.
I don't know where your located but if you are
east valley or central tempe, scottsdale area I could give you a ride..

Send pm if you want.

Rod
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DOUMTB said:
Hi Kaboose,

Have you talked to Dave lately?

How's the ankle doing?

Are He and Patty going to be there?

Rod
heard from patti. apparently dave's ankle is fine cuz she said that saturday they're riding desert classic coast to coast and the rixster is joining them...
should we???
 

·
Dave
Joined
·
899 Posts
DOUMTB said:
Hi Kaboose,

Have you talked to Dave lately?

How's the ankle doing?

Are He and Patty going to be there?

Rod
Ankle wasn't really the problem, the foot across the instep was. Now it's much better. I rode the other night indoors and it was fine.
Yes we are going to ride DC C2C with Rick. He just got turned on to the other side of DC and he said he liked it so much he wants to go back. SO we're looking at 18 miles or so. I think we said 10 am. Weather permitting of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
kaboose said:
however, the terrain out there does not absorb and drain rain very well, as many of you have experienced in the past. the trails get very rutted, sandy and the soil becomes a very sticky wet clay.
I recall doing a short ride last summer the day after a rain on Granite and Bluff (which, IMO, are the best trails to ride in MMP after a rain). The trail wasn't muddy, but it was soft and seemed to take about twice as much energy as normal. The next day was quite a lot better, but it was still harder pedaling than normal. I did "short" rides both days, though my energy expenditure was probably the same as that for a "normal" ride going around the Pemberton.

If similarly soft conditions exist on Dixie Mine and Coachwhip/Windmill, it'll be tough going since the grade of these trails makes it difficult (for me anyway) even under the best of conditions.
 

·
Black and Sticky
Joined
·
771 Posts
DOUMTB said:
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the r-end hope your ok.
I don't know where your located but if you are
east valley or central tempe, scottsdale area I could give you a ride..

Send pm if you want.

Rod
Thanks Rod, much appreciated. I am fine. A van rear ended an SUV that rear ended me. The lady in the SUV got carted off in an ambulance because she really took a hard hit. The hit I took was about as bad as a 10" drop on my bike. So no worries. But I think I can shoe horn my bike into the back of my other car if I put the top down so hopefully transportation won't be an issue.

With the rain we got, the conditions will be superb at MMP and MSP so I hope our ride is still on. The last time I was out there after rain (around Thanksgiving) conditions were perfect. I guess I'll stick with the group if the decision is to go elsewhere, but I will do Kaboose's epic very soon thereafter.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Bituman said:
Thanks Rod, much appreciated. I am fine. A van rear ended an SUV that rear ended me. The lady in the SUV got carted off in an ambulance because she really took a hard hit. The hit I took was about as bad as a 10" drop on my bike. So no worries. But I think I can shoe horn my bike into the back of my other car if I put the top down so hopefully transportation won't be an issue.

With the rain we got, the conditions will be superb at MMP and MSP so I hope our ride is still on. The last time I was out there after rain (around Thanksgiving) conditions were perfect. I guess I'll stick with the group if the decision is to go elsewhere, but I will do Kaboose's epic very soon thereafter.

Bob
Good to hear your ok! Looks like a possible ride location change with the group to sm c2c or do you want to scout some trail optons for the upcoming epic c-ride at MMP?

Rod
 

·
Black and Sticky
Joined
·
771 Posts
DOUMTB said:
Good to hear your ok! Looks like a possible ride location change with the group to sm c2c or do you want to scout some trail optons for the upcoming epic c-ride at MMP?

Rod
Well let's see what our ride leader Kaboose suggests. She remains the boss. I am still hoping for MMP/MSP. Your suggestion of scouting some trails sounds great. But I'm pretty much up for anything, anywhere.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
kaboose said:
heard from patti. apparently dave's ankle is fine cuz she said that saturday they're riding desert classic coast to coast and the rixster is joining them...
should we???
Hi Kaboose,

Where would you rather ride? Bituman and I are up for either.:thumbsup:

Let us know.

Thanks,

Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
I just got back from hiking the Scenic Trail and the one mile of the Pemberton that connects the ends of the Scenic. The trail was damp, but surprisingly firm. Therefore, I'm now much more optimistic that the trail conditions will be good for a ride on Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
My wife and I, Craig and Sheron, were planning on riding at McDowell on Sat and would love to join your ride if you end up at MMP. Will check back later to see what the final determination is, and hopefully the start time will be a little later in the AM to allow it to warm up a some.
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cstuttle said:
My wife and I, Craig and Sheron, were planning on riding at McDowell on Sat and would love to join your ride if you end up at MMP. Will check back later to see what the final determination is, and hopefully the start time will be a little later in the AM to allow it to warm up a some.
good! i was hoping for some female companionship. nothing wrong with you guys, but since i'd prolly be the slowest one in an all male group, i would be riding alone all the time. that's why i've been waiting...

is 10am good?
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cstuttle said:
Will we meet at the Pemberton Trailhead/Staging area? We'll be driving a blue Chevy Nova with Utah license plates.
yes, i usually park near the restroom bldg.

i drive a dark red honda element.

see y'all in the am!
 

·
im4Gsus
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KevinB said:
I just got back from hiking the Scenic Trail and the one mile of the Pemberton that connects the ends of the Scenic. The trail was damp, but surprisingly firm. Therefore, I'm now much more optimistic that the trail conditions will be good for a ride on Saturday.
thanks, kevin, for your trail conditions updates.

with today's sunny skies the trails should be purrrfect tomorrow.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top